2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2007 Expedition Limited want to add Back Up Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 PM
tmandrav
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Expedition Limited want to add Back Up Sensors

I turned in the lease on my 2006 Expedition Limited and purchased a used 2007 EL Limited.

I assumed the back up sensing came automatically on the Limited, apparently I was wrong. I am looking to add the back up sensor's to the vehicle. Is this simple, can I add the factory back up sensors or do I need to go aftermarket? What are my options?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:14 AM
chuck s
Elder User
They're part of the "Convenience Package" along with the power pedals with memory, power rear quarter windows, and universal garage door opener. Got any of those?

-- Chuck

Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should be standard on limited. Put the car in reverse and look at the message center. What does it say? The reverse sensors might be turned off. You hit reset I think to turn them on while in reverse.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
tmandrav
New User
Originally Posted by berry1234
Should be standard on limited. Put the car in reverse and look at the message center. What does it say? The reverse sensors might be turned off. You hit reset I think to turn them on while in reverse.
I thought it was standard as well. When I put in reverse there is no message in the messsage center and no option to turn it on in the message center either.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
tmandrav
New User
Originally Posted by chuck s
They're part of the "Convenience Package" along with the power pedals with memory, power rear quarter windows, and universal garage door opener. Got any of those?

-- Chuck
Hey Chuck, this particular Limited does not have the convenience package and it makes is "very non-convenient". Wife does not like vehicle and instead of selling it, I am trying to make it like her old one.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tmandrav
I thought it was standard as well. When I put in reverse there is no message in the messsage center and no option to turn it on in the message center either.
Hmmm. Search these messages for the one that shows you the original sticker. You will need your VIN number. See what it says.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:35 PM
tmandrav
New User
Hmmm. Search these messages for the one that shows you the original sticker. You will need your VIN number. See what it says.

I did that last night, it does not have it on the window sticker...crazy and I overlooked it when buying the vehicle.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM
gddyup
Senior User
Reverse sensors are not standard on the limited. They come as part of the package mentioned earlier. I have an 07 Limited EL and it does not have the back-up sensors. I bought it used and the BU sensors were not ordered on the truck when it was new.

Could you add them? I'm sure you could, but the cost would probably be more than the hassle assosciated with doing it. All the Ford BU sensor systems I have seen incorporate the sensors into the rear bumper. So, that would mean a new rear bumper, the sensor package, the wiring harness, and anything else assosciated with getting it hooked up. Anything is possible if you have the money to make it so.

Personally, and I might sound like a jackass for saying it but, if you really *NEED* a back up system to tell you it's *SAFE* to back up, it's time to re0evaluate your driving habits.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 PM
tmandrav
New User
Originally Posted by gddyup
Reverse sensors are not standard on the limited. They come as part of the package mentioned earlier. I have an 07 Limited EL and it does not have the back-up sensors. I bought it used and the BU sensors were not ordered on the truck when it was new.

Could you add them? I'm sure you could, but the cost would probably be more than the hassle assosciated with doing it. All the Ford BU sensor systems I have seen incorporate the sensors into the rear bumper. So, that would mean a new rear bumper, the sensor package, the wiring harness, and anything else assosciated with getting it hooked up. Anything is possible if you have the money to make it so.

Personally, and I might sound like a jackass for saying it but, if you really *NEED* a back up system to tell you it's *SAFE* to back up, it's time to re0evaluate your driving habits.

Thanks for the info... as far as "needing" it to drive, it a great feature for my wife which adds an additional safety precaution for her knowing there are more kids constantly playing and runnig around in our neighborhood, ballfields, etc..... this is her 6th Expedition, so she knows how to drive it.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:17 AM
chuck s
Elder User
This is my first Expedition and it's the "short" version. I made sure I ordered the backup sensors for parking as I certainly can't see anything thru the rear window unless it's 5 feet off the ground.

I'm frankly surprised the Convenience Group isn't standard on the Limited, but it wasn't.

-- Chuck

Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Bopper
Junior User
My info is outdated. 5 years ago my wife had a GMC Envoy XL. Dealer wanted $750 to install the backup sensors. I had a aftermarket shop due it for $225. Watching my wife swing that thing around parallel parking was a thing of beauty. They are worth every penny. Our new expy has the camera in the rearview mirror, and the sensors, and it is awesome.

Note: The GMC had the sensors triggered to the reverse lights. When you remotely unluck the doors, the convenience lighting lit the reverse lights, so while you loaded the back of the car the sensors would be beeping, a little annoying. The Expy does not light the reverse lights when you unluck with the remote, so no beeping. Though the sensors are still powered from the reverse lights.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by gddyup

Well, you were right about sounding like a **** . If you have not used sensors then you don't know how valuable they are. Of course anyone who strictly uses the system for backing up is a fool-They are innacurate and don't always pick up objects behind the vehicle. But when wanting to know how much further someones bumper is or a wall, they are invaluable.

There are aftermarket systems available all over.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 AM
gddyup
Senior User
Well, you were right about sounding like a **** . If you have not used sensors then you don't know how valuable they are. Of course anyone who strictly uses the system for backing up is a fool-They are innacurate and don't always pick up objects behind the vehicle. But when wanting to know how much further someones bumper is or a wall, they are invaluable.

There are aftermarket systems available all over.
I guess you are right then. My biggest concern with BU sensors, and my wife had them on her 2000 EB Exploder, is that people become much to accustomed to them and forget about safety. "I have my sensors so I only have to pay attention to the beep." That's not safe.

If you can't "see" what is behing you, get out and look.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 AM
thinksnow
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been looking at some options myself. You might want to just consider a back up camera. There are tons of options out there.