Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

trans smoking

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:26 PM
low00jetta
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool trans smoking

ive been in and out of the dealership since the truck was purchased due to smoke coming out from under the hood after truck got warm. dealer first said nothign was wrong, second time i brought the truck in i showed them the trans fluid coming from the back side of the engine case. they replaced the trans seals and rear driveshaft seal. cured the problem for a few hundred miles after i was in there to degrease the cases to see if that was really the problem. now the smoke is pooring out again and cases are wet with trans oil again. there is never a mark in the drive way. any one else issues with any leaks?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:57 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've not had a problem like this nor have I known anyone to have this problem (08 Lincoln MKX). Not sure what you are drivingas it's not listed in your post. Finding a leak like this, particluarly on a new vehicel should not be difficult to locate. You might try a dealer with a better service department.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM
low00jetta
New User
sorry, vehicle is an 07 edge

Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by low00jetta
ive been in and out of the dealership since the truck was purchased due to smoke coming out from under the hood after truck got warm.

dealer first said nothign was wrong,
BS - smoke coming from under the hood is not normal.

second time i brought the truck in i showed them the trans fluid coming from the back side of the engine case. they replaced the trans seals and rear driveshaft seal. cured the problem for a few hundred miles after i was in there to degrease the cases to see if that was really the problem.
Interesting.

now the smoke is pooring out again and cases are wet with trans oil again.
there is never a mark in the drive way.

any one else issues with any leaks?

The smoke is either fluid leaking onto the exhaust manifold or exhaust pipe or something laying on the manifold and melting. In your case, with a fluid leak, I would look for fluid on the manifiold. I suspect that the problem is a very small leak and whatever is leaking gets burmned up on the manifold before it ever gets a chance to hit the ground. I would also not be surprised to learn that it leaks onto something else before it hots the exhaust system where it gets burned up. This would explain why the problem went away for a little while after they cleaned everythig up.

I suspect that what they did to correct the problem did not address the source of your leak and was the result of either a stab in the dark for a solution or the service tech following some sort of Ford Service decision tree.

I realize that your vehicle is under warranty and you should not have to do this but you might save yourself some grief by hunting down the leak yourself. You might get better results if you can spoon feed the problem to the service tech. Again, I agree that you should not have to but .....

Old 02-24-2009, 04:44 PM
low00jetta
New User
07 edge is going back to the dealship tomorrow morning for the leak. i was under the truck changing the oil and noticed the leak is worse than ever. the entire case where the rear driveshaft comes out is covers along with bottom of engine and the motor mount. as far as i could see its coming from somewhere above the driveshaft and leaking down. couldnt see anything more without a mirror in there. some of it is dripping on the exhuast, that is where the smoke is coming from and coming right into the vehicle.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
I would think about another dealer. This should have been an easy fix the first time.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 PM
low00jetta
New User
i continue going to the same dealer for the sma eproblem hoping they will offer a new vehichle with it being lemon law and all. as far up as i saw its very possible that it could be the rear valve cover leaking down the engine onto the trans. jsut a tight place and cant see anything in there.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Libra
Senior User
Check out the Ford Edge forum, I believe your problem is common especially with the AWD system. I'm not sure if there is a bulletin or not but I know that this is a problem.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:24 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Libra,

This person doesn't want the problem fixed. They want Ford to give them a new vehicle because they have an oil leak that did not get fixed the first time they took it in. The dealer may have some issues (although we are only getting one side of the story) but I have a problem with what's going on here.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Primetime1
Senior User
You have an axle seal leak. It is a huge problem with AWD Edges - I know - I have an 08 with this problem. Go to Fordedgeforum.com and look there. A lot of people have the problem and it is re-occuring - I myself will be bringing the Edge in for the 3rd time on Wed. I only bought it at the end of December. Sometimes replacing the PTU will help, but that didn't on mine. Check out that site and hope your dealer will be able to fix it. My dealer has also seen the exact problem with AWD Taurus - same powertrain. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd bet money on the axle seal leaking at the PTU.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:33 PM
scj
New User
Try this thread.

Right now should be right under this one, started by juneau76.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-taurus-x.html

Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Does the Flex also share the same powertrain?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Primetime1
Senior User
Yes, it does.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:10 PM
downhillpat
Elder User
It's probably the PTU Case seals or the PTU itself, that is if it is AWD. The PTU seals are a TSB, it either leaks Trans fluid (red) or PTU fluid (Brown, gear oil) the dealership may have done a seal for the trans fluid but not the brown since it probably wasn't leaking @ the time. Just about 4 out of 5 MKX's I work on are for PTU seal leaks. Sometimes if both seals do not fix the problem, we will install a new PTU.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
downhillpat
Elder User
By the way there is also a known trans fluid leak from the condensers on these cars. I just did one today. Just throwing that out there.

Quick Reply: trans smoking