Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toneau cover

Old 07-25-2001, 02:50 PM
mikes66
Senior User
toneau cover

I have a '92 F150 Nite with an 8' bed and toolbox, is it possible to mount a toneau cover behind the toolbox and if so where can i find one for this application??
Thanks Alot.

Mike
Buy AMERICAN
FORD #1

Old 07-25-2001, 10:16 PM
Boss_358
Posting Guru

toneau cover

This one would call for some creativity. Depending on how large your toolbox is you might be able to mount a shortbox cover on it and just seal the seams where they meet. A way to do this might be to mount the cover so it is all the way back where it would be if it were the right cover. If there is a gap between the toolbox and the cover you could use some kind of a plate to cover that gap. I don't know what material would be best but I have seen some people use wood for things like this and sometimes it looks hacked, and sometimes it looks good. It depends on how creative the person is. I am in the thought process right now of trying to get a toneau cover to work with my roll bar on my 78 but I am going to have to build this completely my self with a little help from some freinds. You should be able to do it, just might call for some research and some creativity.

People who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

Old 07-25-2001, 10:33 PM
dust3
Senior User
toneau cover

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 25-Jul-01 AT 11:34 PM (EST)[/font][p]You've got a few options here. You could go with a roll top canister style cover and shorten the rails to make it work in conjunction with your tool box. (Pace Edwards or Roll & Lock, etc.)If you were looking for a soft vinyl tonneau cover Access and Truxedo both make covers designed to go behind different widths of toolboxes.Hope this helps!

"Somebody put this together, I must be able to take it apart! "
Dustin

Old 07-26-2001, 11:57 AM
sonic
Senior User
toneau cover

A buddy of mine did this on his 77/79 Fwhatever50 it ended up being. He welded a piece of channel to the back side of his box (but you could just as easily bolt a pressure treated 2x) to act as the "front lip" of the bed. Then the front of his cover had something to rest on. He built his own cover out of some plywood, 2x4's, batting, a big piano hinge, and some vinyl material. His was even strong enough to be able to put lawn chairs on and sit up there.

Old 07-26-2001, 07:29 PM
mikes66
Senior User
toneau cover

Thanks for the tips guys, i think i'm going to see what i can find on the net at Access or Truxedo before i go fabricating something on my own. I'd like to get a cost comparison so if i do decide to do this myself, i'll have an idea of what or what not to spend. $$$$ do count.

Mike
Buy AMERICAN
FORD #1

Old 07-31-2001, 10:12 PM
superdutyspv
Senior User
toneau cover

Hi, I have a 2000 F-250 4x4 Super Duty. I have a tool box AND Tonneau. I have a Daws Better Built tool box and hard diamond brite tonneau. ********' X-2000 will attach to a tool box. I have a FUL SIZE tool box. There are serval companies that make tonneaus that will go with a tool box. I hope this helps. I live in an area that gets a lot of snow, so I wanted a hard tooneau. I LOVE the diamond brite tonneau that Daws had. There are some soft tonneaus that will go with a tool box too, I just can't think of the comanies at this moment.