Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 08:42 PM
mmcarter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soft tonneau

I want to put a soft tonneau cover on my truck but I don't want the snap kind--I've just taken one off. Has anyone here used the Truxedo or the Truck Hyde covers? Pros? Cons?

Thanks

Old 08-14-2002, 12:13 PM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Soft tonneau

I bought the Truxedo in June from http://www.tonneau-covers-etc.com I love it so far, but have not had it through a winter yet. It was easy to install and is easy to use. I priced them at the local truck accessories place and they wanted $475 (long bed). I found it at the above link for $400 with free shipping and no tax. Plus, I would have had to wait for the local shop to order it anyway.

I was impressed with tonneau-covers-ect. Great customer service

Matt

2002, F250 SD, SC, 8' Bed, V10, 3.73 LS, Arizona Beige Clearcoat Metalic, ICI Stainless Step Bars, Truxedo Tonneau, Prodigy Brake Control

Old 08-15-2002, 05:37 PM
mmcarter
Senior User
Soft tonneau

Matt

Does the cover look flush with the top of the frame or do the bows stick up like some of the snap covers? From the catalogs the things look absolutely flush. My truck is a short bed and I just got a price of $348 here in Michigan so that sounds like a good deal.

Thanks

Marty

Old 08-15-2002, 09:12 PM
zippinz
Junior User
Soft tonneau

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-Aug-02 AT 10:34 PM (EST)]For the heck of it, you might take a look at these Access Roll-Up Covers. They look good and I've had one on my truck for 8 years and it is holding up well. The sides of the cover are Velcroed down - I did have to re-glue the Velcro to the aluminum frame once.

One thing I don't like about it is that when you roll it up, the ends of the support rods, which are covered by plastic caps, put some light marks on the cover. When you ArmourAll it, they are basically gone, but still there.

[link:www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=access+roll+up+covers&btnG=Google+Search|Acces s Roll-Up Covers]

(This is a Google Search Link because I couldn't get the direct link to the company's page to work.)

Edit: I guess the Access Covers are shown at the "tonneau-covers-etc" site above, they are high priced.

Old 08-16-2002, 06:55 AM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Soft tonneau

Marty,

The bows are straight and therefore do not stick up above the frame rail line. The whole cover sits above the truck bed sides by about an inch.

I looked at the Access cover at the local shop when I bought my Truxedo. Very similar and both were the same price there.
The differences were:

- The guy at the shop told me the Truxedo seals on all four sides and the Access did not (I am not sure why, unless the Access does not seal against the tailgate)

- The Access could be opened with a hidden button without lowering the tailgate, but I think you can remove the button to take advantage of the locking tailgate.

- The frame rails on the Access (where it velcros) slope, top towards the center of the bed. The Truxedo velcro rails sit vertically.

I just thought the Truxedo looked sharper.

Matt

2002, F250 SD, SC, 8' Bed, V10, 3.73 LS, Arizona Beige Clearcoat Metalic, ICI Stainless Step Bars, Truxedo Tonneau, Prodigy Brake Control

Old 08-16-2002, 07:05 AM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
Soft tonneau

Both covers claim to be the best. I forgot to mention the one other selling point for me. The Truxedo has a spring loaded plunger at each front corner to keep tension on the cover. The access has to be mannually adjusted.

I will say that I see a lot of the Access covers (or at least the slanted style) on the road around here and have not seen another Truxedo yet.

Matt

Old 08-16-2002, 10:50 AM
mmcarter
Senior User
Soft tonneau

Sounds good to me. You answered the only question I had about the way that the cover looked. I also looked at Truck Hyde which is very similar to Truxedo except their warranty is for 2 years as opposed to Truxedo's limited life time warranty and Truck Hyde uses a manual plunger to maintain tension rather than the automatic system on the Truxedo. Looks like I need look no further.

Thanks a lot!

Marty

Old 08-16-2002, 09:11 PM
Bluehawk
More Turbo
Soft tonneau

I have had the Access Cover on my truck for 2 1/2 years, and have no complaints. It is easy to roll up from one side of the truck. I removed the hidden lock release pin, so that you have to unlock the tailgate before you can get into the cover. Also, I don't know about the Truxedo cover, but, the Access Cover has a ripstop in the material to make it harder to cut with a knife. I would never have the old style covers again.

Bluehawk

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=4318&.jpg
F-250 SD XLT CC 4x4 Shortbed; MAAP nerf bars, Rally/Lightbar combo, PIAA 1300 driving lights, Lund bugshield, Lund SunVisor, tinted windows, K&N airfilter, Access tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, remote starter/security system, custom built console, Cobra 29 ST/WX CB with a Wilson 1000 magnet mount antenna, Realistic 500 channel police scanner, Kenwood 10 disk CD changer, Compaq laptop, SVP 100 Watt siren, and 24 Strobe lights.

Upgrades for the near future include: Warn Rio Grande pushbar with a 12,000# winch, 4" lift kit, fender flares, and 35" BF Goodrich T/A KO tires.

Old 08-18-2002, 06:32 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Soft tonneau