Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Ohio's fees are going up...

Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ohio's fees are going up...

if it passes with the proposed budget in the the next couple of months.
things like temp tags , license plates, etc etc ....Drivers To Pay More At BMV - News Story - WHIO Dayton

Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, who promised “no new taxes” in his budget, wants to increase fees at the BMV to raise millions of dollars.
link to the budget....Executive Budget FY1011

Start reading page 790ish

snip page 793

The Executive Budget implements the funding recommendation of the Ohio State Highway Patrol Funding
Task Force. The fee adjustments in the task force recommendation are projected to generate an additional $106
million annually for the Highway Safety Fund, and eliminate the projected deficit for the Highway Safety Fund.
�� The Executive Budget also eliminates DPS’s need for GRF funding through a fee increase on abstracts. A six
dollar fee increase would provide the necessary revenue to remove the Emergency Management Agency, the
Investigative Unit, and the Office of Criminal Justice Services from GRF funding, while still keeping Ohio’s
abstract fee amount below the national average. The abstract revenue will also be used to supplement the
funding for the Divisions of Emergency Medical Services and Homeland Security.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:26 PM
garypettengill
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think if everyone in the state had to pass a urine test before they could get their welfare check the state would save a ton of money. Also, give all the recipients of state money a visa/master card debit card. Simply load the alloted amount to their card. The state could save a ton by not printing checks. Oh yea, fix the debit card so it cannot be used to purchase booze or cigarettes.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:14 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
GaryP--I like the urine test idea!! But , the feds already send electronic checks to the bank now......so the state could too.
BILL

Old 02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Some of the programs have already moved to the monthly loaded debit card with restrictions. I understand the food stamp program has been replaced by something like that. As for the urine test, not a bad idea... I had to do that for my CDL and they also had random testing. In my last 5 or 6 years of working heavy industrial electrical construction work I had to be tested annually, at the biginning of each new job and there were also randoms done there. If I gotta do that for work, they ought to have to do it for assistance. Of course the first complaint you will herer is it won't be fair to the dependant children. Funny, I never heard that about the children of people who are working for a living. On top of all that we were assessed for the cost of the testing. No taxpayer paid for ours.

However, I believe that this whole thread was started about higher taxes. The proposed rate hikes for driver's licenses, tag fees and etc. are not taxes. They are simply usage fees. You can't operate and maintain a highway system without funding. Unlike taxes, you have a choice. You can elect not to drive or own a licensed vehicle in Ohio and not pay the fees. Without the support structure the roads and bridges would very soon become dangerous and useless.

I don't like or want higher taxes and fees more than anybody else but it all comes down to one thing. If you want the service you gotta pay for it. Most of the whining I hear comes from people who have one or two vehicles. I have eight licensed vehicles so if anyone should complain it ought to be me. And just for the record, I don't like it but I have to face the reality of the situation. If you want to play you got to pay, There ain't no free lunch boys.

I wonder if anybody has calculated the cost of a drug testing program to be implimented system wide for welfare and other various types of assistance. That will be another tax hike. Welcome to the cold hard world of reality folks.

Later...

Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM
garypettengill
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
GaryP--I like the urine test idea!! But , the feds already send electronic checks to the bank now......so the state could too.
BILL
I understand the electronic checks idea and it does save money. However, the money can be spent anywhere and on anything. How about when the fed govt. sent out all those stimulus checks. When people were asked what they planned to do with them a lot of people said they would stick it in the bank. That doesn't help the economy. If it's a debit card it must be spent.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:22 PM
deeznuts822
Elder User
Thank the goverment for allowing companies to have thier stuff made in mexico and shipped here for lil tarrif. The automakers wouldnt be in the shape they are in if they built cars here in us where us buyers would buy them. Then there would be tax revinue and jobs so people could buy. Thier just gonna make fees higher and do less with roads and such anyways

Old 02-09-2009, 10:34 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I certainly hope the roads and bridges and infrastructure of this country gets a makeover for all our sakes. I travel and when you try to go somewhere and see some of this countries aging bridges and roads, it makes me mad.
NAFTA did not mean that we buy EVERTHING from another country,and our goods are worth less and less.
I am certain that it will look completely different in 5 years. So much is boarding-up and closing up! THIS IS AMERICA--WE ARE NO1---We certainly need to stand together and at least fix OHIO--LOL
Bill