1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Loss of power & missing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:10 PM
isdave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of power & missing

Hi Driving home from work the truck started to run rough and no power.I have read up on the uvc problem so when the truck was running I pulled off the passenger side plugs on at a time and there was no difference.There was a difference on the driver side when I did it.I checked the plugs they were not burnt or melted and I took off the valve cover and everything looked fine.Is there something that controls a whole bank of injectors that I am missing thanks

Old 02-01-2009, 08:01 PM
excavator
Senior User
Did you look at the pins for being burnt or melted in the connections?

There is the IDM (injector drive module) that sends the signal to each bank and it could have water inside and it will cause havoc and could shut down entire bank. It is located on the drivers inner fender well and is held on with a few bolts. You could take it off and shake it for water sound

Old 02-01-2009, 09:52 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the key when pulling each harness off is when you remove one and there is no change, that is the culprit, when you pull a harness and it gets worse then you know that injector was firing untill you removed the harness

Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 PM
isdave
New User
thanks I will check the IDM tomorrow and let you know

Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 PM
isdave
New User
got the news today from my mechanic IDM producing the problem.The dealership wants 1600 for remaned one I can't believe the cost.Phoned around and found one for 575 ouch!!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:40 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by isdave
got the news today from my mechanic IDM producing the problem.The dealership wants 1600 for remaned one I can't believe the cost.Phoned around and found one for 575 ouch!!!!
$1600!!!!!!??????? I have never heard of one that high!! $575 is still higher than I would pay. Unless your in a real big yank to get the truck (we usually are!) check out auto computer exchange on ebay. Just search IDM and you find them. Great prices and products.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
excavator
Senior User
1600 dollars
Hope they are including the engine

Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I got a new one on ebay for 225 + shipping ..

Hope they are including the engine
Hey ....Jim ...

Way too quiet...

Old 02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
excavator
Senior User
Whata u say Rick
Yup quiet

Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 PM
97biostroke
Senior User
I bought one last week on ebay, a 120V IDM with a one year warranty for just under 200 after shipping. It was something like Crites Cores from Indiana. Pretty good deal i thought.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 PM
isdave
New User
I live in Canada for what ever reason We pay more.I was quoted 1608 at the dealership and my buddy works in ford parts at the local dealer and could get it for 1300.I was lucky to fined one for 575.through another parts guy

Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Thumper96F250
Freshman User
Hi guys I believe I'm having the same problem. It seems that I'm losing the a hole bank. Not sure what side. When disconnecting the harness from UVC connection outside the cover. Do I have the engine running or not? I know it's high voltage so I'm assuming to have engine off and afraid if running it may mess up the PCM. Am I thinking right? I've also been looking for the proper way to firgure out my problem from start to finish.

My check engine light comes on and the truck won't hardly run it won't pull itself on flat ground. Then it clears up. Then shortly later it does it again. And now it's trust staying that way.

I've replaced the CMP, fuel filter, oil and filter. Cleaned the battery cables and have made sure that the batteries are fully charged.

I was going to start with checking the connections at the valve covers and then the ICP and then to the IPR.
But I can't find the proper way to check all of these. I have no scanner but had it checked at Advance Auto but no codes found. It also didn't seem like they knew what they were doing.
I have the regular tools like wrench's and socketts and DVOM but no pressure gauges.

Any info would be great. Oh I have 96 F250 7.3L

Thanks,
Thumper

Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Thumper96F250
Hi guys I believe I'm having the same problem. It seems that I'm losing the a hole bank. Not sure what side. When disconnecting the harness from UVC connection outside the cover. Do I have the engine running or not? I know it's high voltage so I'm assuming to have engine off and afraid if running it may mess up the PCM. Am I thinking right? I've also been looking for the proper way to firgure out my problem from start to finish.

My check engine light comes on and the truck won't hardly run it won't pull itself on flat ground. Then it clears up. Then shortly later it does it again. And now it's trust staying that way.

I've replaced the CMP, fuel filter, oil and filter. Cleaned the battery cables and have made sure that the batteries are fully charged.

I was going to start with checking the connections at the valve covers and then the ICP and then to the IPR.
But I can't find the proper way to check all of these. I have no scanner but had it checked at Advance Auto but no codes found. It also didn't seem like they knew what they were doing.
I have the regular tools like wrench's and socketts and DVOM but no pressure gauges.

Any info would be great. Oh I have 96 F250 7.3L

Thanks,
Thumper
For me, same story, different time. My truck would hardly pull itself. The guys on here told me to check the four connections at the VC's. I reported back and said none of them was burnt. Someone, I forget who it was, told me in no uncertain terms to "look again"!!! I used a magnifine glass. I did and sure enough there it was, a burnt pin. I was stranded but within walking distance of a Ford dealer and got a new harness. Unplug the connections one at a time with the engine running to see if it makes a difference in the way it sounds or vibrates. It won't shock you or hurt the PCM. Mine didn't throw any codes.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Thumper96F250
Freshman User
Thanks oldbird for the info I will check it tomorrow and reply back what i find.

Did you have to replace the harness outside or inside the valve covers?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:09 PM
isdave
New User
I lost the whole bank and I unplugged the harness connectors one at a time to reconfirm they were not working while the truck was running.My IDM was the problem it did have water in it.I never had my check engine come and I had no power either.

Quick Reply: Loss of power & missing