Mississippi Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Scndsin

February chat thread...let's hear it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 AM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking February chat thread...let's hear it!

Morning all, Well....another month has started, spring will be here soon. Let's hear what's going on.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Good evening Barry!

BEAUTIFUL Day here in Nawth Mississippi! Thought today would be a good day to put the roll bar back on the tractor. All I lack is tightening the bolts. I've had to jump that tractor off the last two times I've used it. Got fired up today and checked the back of the alternator for the magnetic pull - there was none. Gave the alternator a couple good whacks with a screw driver handle and checked again. Bingo! Fix'd it.

Snack time's over. Back to work.

Mitch

Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Any of you guys interested in toy farm equipment? I help put on a show in Starkville every February. There is also a show in Clarksdale Feb 6th and 7th. Y'all come if you can!

Mitch

Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Mitch, I've been to a show similar to yours a couple years ago, I was thinking it was in Greenwood...might have been in Clarksdale, heck, I can't remember. Me and the wife might shoot up to that one in Starkvegas. What other stuff do they sell up there? any other type of advertising like coke signs and old gas pumps? If they do...I'll be there, I collect that type of junk...haha...wife loves it too.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:17 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Here are some pics of the junk I collect. Miitch, do you collect farm toys?

Old 02-02-2009, 03:47 PM
sign_man
Senior User
Barry, I have an old Bennett gas pump I'll part with if you're interested. Not sure how old it is, but the sale only goes to $9.99!

While putting in a sign today behind the Trustmark in Richland I noticed an 18 wheeler backing up a side street, then attempted to turn around in a grassy area. Poor guy was from Texas and didn't know it was so wet and became stuck. I tried to pull him out with the bucket truck, but just smoked the clutch because the front tires were against a curb and I just couldn't quite get it over the hump. Had to call Hall's wrecker service. Bet that wasn't cheap! When I asked why he was in that predicament he explained he came to the end of the street which had a little bridge right at the intersection and he couldn't make the swing onto the cross street so he was trying to go back the way he came.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
I'm interested for sure, shoot me some pics and tell me what you want for it.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Barry, we try to limit these shows to "toy farm equipment" (tractors/implements). BUT, any vendor selling mainly farm toys might have a few old signs, or farm literature. The toys will range from antiques to the newest stuff out there plus some customized pieces and restorations.

You have a great collection there. Have you ever been to the Flywheel Festival in Houston, MS? You'd like it.

I do not collect - well, I try not to collect. I may have a dozen pieces. I restore/repair/customize 1/16th scale tractors and implements. Buy and sell for parts. Here's a couple I've re-done for other people:

Mitch

Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
DARN good lookin restoration on those tractors, you did a fine job.
I passed on a ford toy tractor this past weekend at an estate sale, looked to be the same scale as yours, I always see tractors for sale around here, most need restos, I've even sold some like that.
I've been to the Houston festival one time, found some nice stuff there. Are they still having it up there?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Originally Posted by BarryMc
DARN good lookin restoration on those tractors, you did a fine job.
I passed on a ford toy tractor this past weekend at an estate sale, looked to be the same scale as yours, I always see tractors for sale around here, most need restos, I've even sold some like that.
I've been to the Houston festival one time, found some nice stuff there. Are they still having it up there?

They still do the Houston show twice a year. I'll try to find the dates and post them here.

Thanks! I've been working on tractors for other collectors 8 or 9 years now. Started out just re-painting them. Have repaired broken ones, rebuilt them from playwear - replacing wheels/axles/missing mufflers - some wanted them repainted, some did NOT want them repainted. Found a good group of folks on the web that do what I do (and more!) and we've kinda got ourselves a parts network. Any part I can't find at a toy parts dealer, my buddies can usually come up with. I've even bought new toys and stripped them just for the parts.

Moved into customizing them to look "just like dad had". Adding weights, cabs / canopies, duals, different model numbers, spray tanks - you name it and we can come up with it.

I've recently learned to solder brass and started custom building attachments and implements. There are custom builders out there that can build any piece of equipment you want in 1/16th scale. Most of them use brass. I've got a LOT to learn in this department.

Collectors will pay to have the implements built and their toys repaired. That's kinda what I do. Or DID - 'til the truck bug bit me again!!!!!!!!!! I've got to get back in the toy shop and get busy. This time of year I'm usually working 'til 1 and 2 in the morning out here. Got 25 or 30 lined up to work on now.

I'm always looking for cheap, played down farm toys in the 1/16th size. I'll buy them up either to restore, customize, or part out.

This hobby is huge. Much bigger than I ever imagine before I got so involved.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:21 AM
sign_man
Senior User
It's cold so I picked Louisville to work in today. Maybe it will be above freezing when I get there!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Relly nice collection you've got going Barry.

And really nice handywork Mitch.

I gotta' go pick up some more wood!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Okay guys, I've posted a new sticky thread on ideas for a get together.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Hey Barry,

Here's the final product:

Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2009, 07:35 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Lookin good, those are going on the 94 correct?
Did you paint the wheels or did you blast them?
Either way...they came out terrific

Quick Reply: February chat thread...let's hear it!