Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Brake fluid level sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brake fluid level sensor

Hey everybody! I just replaced an ECT today and noticed the wiring harness below my master cylinder was wet and the wetness continues down the shock mount. It seems like brake fluid and the connector from the brake level sensor is damp, as well as the cruise harness, but the nut is dry. The bottom of the master is wet but the tank doesn't look cracked. I couldn't find any place underneath for the master to leak. Does fluid come out of the brake level sensor and how the heck does it come out? I pulled the plug and could get it to slide out...

For some strange reason I have a feeling Ford SHOULD recall these sensors because it seems like these have the same problem as gassers with leaking... I know the diesel doesn't have constant power unless powered on, so I guess if the sensor lights a fire, I'll get roasted instead of my property....

Old 01-17-2009, 07:34 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by camodown
Hey everybody! I just replaced an ECT today and noticed the wiring harness below my master cylinder was wet and the wetness continues down the shock mount. It seems like brake fluid and the connector from the brake level sensor is damp, as well as the cruise harness, but the nut is dry. The bottom of the master is wet but the tank doesn't look cracked. I couldn't find any place underneath for the master to leak. Does fluid come out of the brake level sensor and how the heck does it come out? I pulled the plug and could get it to slide out...

For some strange reason I have a feeling Ford SHOULD recall these sensors because it seems like these have the same problem as gassers with leaking... I know the diesel doesn't have constant power unless powered on, so I guess if the sensor lights a fire, I'll get roasted instead of my property....
Which connector is leaking or wet? I am confused, a bit, by your description. Sounds like you were describing the pressure switch, when you said "nut". That is the one with the 'power', you were referring to. IIRC, the level sensor uses a "ground" to set the light for 'low fluid level'.
Name:  master cyl level sensor.gif
Views: 38561
Size:  5.6 KB Level Sensor

Name:  master cyl pressure switch.gif
Views: 13657
Size:  5.4 KB Pressure Switch

Old 01-17-2009, 07:43 AM
lee231
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the sensor replaced. That's the one that ford has had a problem with. On the gassers, it's on a recall because it has power to it all the time even while parked in your garage and has been known to cause fires. On the diesels, no power until the engine is running, thus no chance of fire while parked in your garage and burning up your house or you. HTH's Lee

Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 AM
camodown
Posting Guru
Sorry my description was confusing, I was typing and thinking instead of thinking then typing haha. Both sensors are wet somehow, but the only one that can catch fire if it leaks is the pressure switch. I am going to replace both, provided the level sensor even is removable... Just can't figure out how to get it to come out

Old 01-17-2009, 10:26 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Well, I replaced the cruise sensor, but noticed the bottom of the reservoir was damp and one of the fittings looked to be seeping. Tightened it up, but it wasn't loose. Hope my MC isn't bad. Does the level sensor come off the tank?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:05 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by camodown
Well, I replaced the cruise sensor, but noticed the bottom of the reservoir was damp and one of the fittings looked to be seeping. Tightened it up, but it wasn't loose. Hope my MC isn't bad. Does the level sensor come off the tank?
The level sensor is removable, but does not go into the fluid directly. IOW, the sensor mounts in a pocket under the fluid reservoir. The proximity of the float, when low, to the sensor activates the warning light. If it is actually leaking in this area, it would be the reservoir, or other outside source, and not the sensor.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:21 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Well, just wanted to button up this thread. The reservoir was leaking at the black seals only when hot. Master cylinder was replaced, as nobody would sell me the tank and seals... Hope nobody else has to deal with this as it was a pain in the butt. Make sure to check your cruise sensors as mine was leaking as well!

Old 01-25-2009, 11:11 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Thanks for letting us know the outcome and for the 'heads up'. Sorry you had such a problem with this.