Early 2.3 rebuild into 90 Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:38 AM
lil red ranger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early 2.3 rebuild into 90 Ranger

I am about ready to install the early 80's 2.3 rebuild into my 90 Ranger. using vacuum advance distributor, one wire alternator with external regulator and a Holley 500 (4412s non-emission ) . I will only need the old basic wiring system. Does anyone know how I may get rid of the on board computer without having to rewire the complete dashboard and system? Could sure use some help with this one as I am old school and there were no computer controlled cars in those days. Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this. lil red ranger

Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I know I've come across some info on this this with some specifics while I was researching swapping the 5.0 into my '89 Ranger (I stayed with EFI however.) I'll do some checking and see what I can come up with. One place you may want to start is to get a Helms EVTM (Electrical, Vacuum and Troubleshooting Manual) for your Ranger, they're year-specific and show you the wiring diagrams in much better detail than anything else readily available:

Helm Incorporated: Search Results

Old 01-16-2009, 10:46 AM
lil red ranger
New User
Thank you TigerDan for the reply. I will check into that. Is there a place on the internet you know of that can decode the block numbers so I can find out the exact year of the block? I only know that it is 80'ish possibly an 86. The rebuild was partialy done by somone else and he passed on, I purchased everything and am trying to finish it my self. I have most of the specs of the internals and it is the outside of the block I am trying to complete now so knowing the year of the casting would be of great help of course. I have only found places that decode ford small blocks but not 4 cyl.
Thanks again for the help.
lil red ranger

Old 01-16-2009, 05:58 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
What's the casting number on ther block? I might be able to get you in the ballpark. I'm not sure if they used a date code on these engines as they did on the V8s...

Old 01-17-2009, 12:01 PM
lil red ranger
New User
I spent a lot of time searching yesterday and found some decoding that shows my block is out of a 1988 mustang. But I will list the casting number anyway to make sure. I am getting closer to installing time soon as I can complete the external parts of the motor.
block casting # is E8ZE-6015-CA.
When I know the block date and year for sure I will get the Helms book.
Thanks again,
lil red ranger

Old 01-17-2009, 12:12 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
The block date doesn't really matter as far as the Helms book goes, it's the book specific for your year truck that you need. There are various wires and connectors that you'll need to tie into in order to connect your ignition and dash functions to the carbureted engine. Do you have the engine wiring harness for for the earlier carbed engine? You'll need to unplug the EFI engine harness from the main harness (if that wasn't already done when the original EFI engine was removed) and the Helms manual can help you figure out which ones.

It's almost easier to stay with the EFI and just transfer it all to the older engine... But it can be done.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:23 PM
lil red ranger
New User
THE EFI ENGINE HASN'T BEEN REMOVED AS YET (AM STILL DRIVING IT) . WILL GET THE HELMS FOR THE 90 THEN. DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT EMISSIONS HERE TO MUCH SO ALL THAT STUFF WILL BE GONE, ONLY WHAT THE REBUILD NEEDS WILL BE DONE. THE REBUILD WAS DONE FOR STREET / STRIP THE FINISH PRODUCT WILL BE MY DAILY DRIVER BUT FOR SHOW ALSO. TO OLD FOR DRAG RACING THESE DAYS. HAD MY SHARE OF THAT IN YOUNGER YEARS i HAVE YET TO CHANGE THE SERPENTINE BELT FOR THE POWER STEERING OVER TO A 'V' TO MATCH THE FRONT CRANK AND ALTERNATOR PULLIES
. THE REST USES SERPENTINE. HAVE TO MAKE UP THE HARNESSING FOR THE REBUILD AS I GO. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AGAIN WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES AS I GET IT DONE
LI RED RANGER