Join Chapter, Leader: sky Cowboy

When is enough, enough? Proudly Canadian

Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Flying_Dutchman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is enough, enough? Proudly Canadian

CTV.ca | MP files complaint over Allen's immigrant rant

Our National Anthem - at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics? >> Four Winds 10 - fourwinds10.com

Please read and forward to as many people you can think of – thank you
WE ARE CANADIANS

Bruce Allen is on the 2010 <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:PLACE w:st="on"><ST1:CITY w:st="on">Vancouver</ST1:CITY></ST1:PLACE> Olympic Committee and new Canadians (specifically Hindi's/Indian's) want him fired for his recent comments outlined below:

I am sorry, but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Hindi - enough is enough.
Nowhere or at no other time in our Nation's history, did they sing it in Italian, Japanese, Polish,
Irish (Celtic), German, Portuguese, Greek, or any other language because of immigration.
It was written in English, adapted into French, and should be sung word for word
the way it was written.

The news broadcasts even gave the Hindi version translation which was not even close to our
National Anthem.

I am not sorry if this offends anyone, this is MY COUNTRY - IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY, SPEAK UP -- please pass this along .

I am not against immigration -- just come through like everyone else. Get a sponsor; have a
place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE
as all other immigrants have in the past -- and LONG LIVE CANADA!'

It's time we all get behind Bruce Allen, and scrap this Political Correctness crap. His comments were anything but racist, but there are far too many overly sensitive 'New Canadians' that are trying to change everything we hold dear.

ARE WE PART OF THE PROBLEM ??? Think about this: If you don't want to forward this for fear
of offending someone, will we still be the Country of Choice and still be <ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st="on">CANADA</ST1:COUNTRY-REGION> if we continue
to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries who have come to live in
<ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st="on"><ST1:PLACE w:st="on">CANADA</ST1:PLACE></ST1:COUNTRY-REGION> because it is the Country of Choice??????

Think about it!

IMMIGRANTS, NOT CANADIAN'S, MUST ADAPT.

It is Time for <ST1:PLACE w:st="on"><ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st="on">CANADA</ST1:COUNTRY-REGION></ST1:PLACE> to speak up. If you agree ? Pass this along; if you don't agree ? Delete it and reap the ill wind because of your complacency!

Any thoughts?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bruce Allen is a windbag. But he's right.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't even know who he is but this bring your culture and language to canada is a strain on our country. What's next street signs in 6 different languages at tax payers cost.The don't take the turban off in respect to our fore fathers deaths and take a dagger to school crap gets my blood boiling....

Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Mr. Fixit
Senior User
Mr. Allen's statement (as I read it) was badly worded and I applaud Mr. Opal for attempting a form of 'damage control'. 'Political correctness' is a form of dishonesty and should always be treated that way. Humour works beautifully.
For some Immigrants, this is a difficult issue. They do not understand that coming to this country involves gain and loss. They see the benefits of a better life/freedom/money but think they must set up a little satelite of their homeland life here in Canada. The US, with its 'melting pot' philosophy, got this right - on the surface. You go to the US to become an American. Some still even insist, "America, love it or leave it!" The truth is that America has changed.
Multiculturism was implemented so that Quebec would feel more included in Canada. The federal Government pushed Multiculturism for decades until it became blatantly obvious that it wasn't working as intended. Multiculturism, as a policy, is far more sophisticated than the hands-off US policy and much more hands-on. You might have noticed that the word "Multiculturism" is used much less lately by officials. The Feds have become afraid of it.
It doesn't bother me one bit that some RCMP officers wear turbans - this is not new (the Brits used to have Gurka units that were among the very best troops you could imagine). Is he a good and competent officer and you can see his face - that's what matters. A civilian wearing a concealed daggar or being totally covered up with a burka is unacceptable however. Even seeing young guys wearing 'hoodies' makes most people nervous! The Dept of Immigration might be mostly to blame for this as I doubt that the details of Canadian society are explained to people applying for citizenship. Most people just sign any documents put in front of them and this includes would-be Immigrants. Immigrants want to get into Canada - unfortunately, the reality of being here comes later...
I doubt you can solve this on-going well known problem without 25 years hard work. If you look at the Europens who came here since Confederation, the first thing they did after stepping off the boat was to seek out others from their ancestral country. This tendency, often coupled with discrimination, lead to ghettos of Italians, China Towns and fancy Lawn Tennis Clubs full of Brits. It's much, much better now, but we still have predominantly Vietnamese areas, 'Eye of the dragon" areas etc.
To change this behaviour involves working with the kids and is very difficult. I taught high school for 3 decades and have experience with getting kids of different backgrounds to associate with each other! (It isn't easy)
One thing is sure, Canada has changed alot since WWII and will continue to change. Our two languages represent the bedrock of our society - once you get Immigrants speaking some English, you've got the beginnings of a Canadian who will fit in after some years. Public Schools and any progressive Private School should be conducted in English only or French only, period. The National Anthem should be publically presented only in English or French. The behaviour of all people should conform to Canadian standards and laws (what ever they are) and not breach security requirements. After those standards and laws are satisfied, very few Canadians care what any of our citizens do.

Cheers!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:41 PM
pud
Posting Guru
This is my problem as well, as I have a tendency to be racist. Not that Im an outright white supremicist, but you hear about stuff like this and it gets my blood boiling.
You come to canada to be canadian, because it wasnt working out for you in your home country. Therefore THEY (the immigrants) must adapt to OUR way of life.
Yes, it is nice to have people from different backgrounds etc...but you dont come to OUR country and put OUR way of life second to their own.

Its like this. If you and your family speak french and english fluently, and you all go to a friends house where they only speak english...you dont sit their and speak french back and forth to each other because it would be considered rude.
So what in the heck makes you think you can come into my house, put no effort into fitting into our culture and try to sing my songs in your language all the while making me feel like the odd one out AND THEN use the rights they just acquired (the ones my ancestors fought for) against me and call me racist and have society look down at me.

so to all that come to our country and try to adapt and contribute I say thank you...and to everyone else who does not, if it were my house I would be kicking you out the door.

Forget politically correct, politicians are a bunch of lying hypocritical asses who get paid way too much to sit around and run their mouth in some long windbag manor. "politically correct" ? BullSnit!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pud
This is my problem as well, as I have a tendency to be racist. Not that Im an outright white supremicist, but you hear about stuff like this and it gets my blood boiling.
You come to canada to be canadian, because it wasnt working out for you in your home country. Therefore THEY (the immigrants) must adapt to OUR way of life.
Yes, it is nice to have people from different backgrounds etc...but you dont come to OUR country and put OUR way of life second to their own.

Its like this. If you and your family speak french and english fluently, and you all go to a friends house where they only speak english...you dont sit their and speak french back and forth to each other because it would be considered rude.
So what in the heck makes you think you can come into my house, put no effort into fitting into our culture and try to sing my songs in your language all the while making me feel like the odd one out AND THEN use the rights they just acquired (the ones my ancestors fought for) against me and call me racist and have society look down at me.

so to all that come to our country and try to adapt and contribute I say thank you...and to everyone else who does not, if it were my house I would be kicking you out the door.

Forget politically correct, politicians are a bunch of lying hypocritical asses who get paid way too much to sit around and run their mouth in some long windbag manor. "politically correct" ? BullSnit!

I agree 100%.

If he does not like it here, he is welcome to leave.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Well said pud.My Irish blood boils quickly on this topic and I find it hard to express myself with words.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Mr. Fixit
Senior User
Brickie : thank you for pointing out a big problem - it is difficult to explain what we want to say. I often find that what I think/write a few months ago does not always cut it now. But we need to express our feelings on this important topic. In the end, I think its all about getting immigrants to fully understand what they are getting into BEFORE they come here. How do you do that? And then, once they are here, they need much more guidance.

I'll give you an example: I know a good honest hardworking business lady from China involved in manufacturing (originally from Hong Kong I think). During the Bejing Olympics she was very proud of the fact that China won so many medals. I pointed out to her that she is a Canadian now - she has been here for over 10 years - and should be rooting for Canada, not China - she was shocked. After some time, she admited I had a point but said that she "had never thought about it that way". I pressed my point home with "Be Canadian first and Canadian second, and Chinese last". Got a nervous laugh...

Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by brickie
Well said pud.My Irish blood boils quickly on this topic and I find it hard to express myself with words.
I feel about the same, hard to explain myself but I do have an opinion. I'll add something anyway.

If you want to live in Canada be Canadian. You can still follow your customs, speak your home language, live your religion in your home. Don't try to change the way things are done here, don't try changing the laws to what you were used too and don't try changing me. Walk beside me and be my friend, don't act like you are superior to me.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Mr. Fixit
Senior User
Zip: What does it mean to be Canadian? The media pushes the image of Canadians as scattered mass of hockey-obsessed, beer-swilling folk too much. I get really annoyed with the amount of time on the evening CBC National News given to ice hockey on a regular basis. Our National game isn't hockey!
My father had to sing 7 different National Anthems during his life ("The True North Strong and Free..." being the last). He loved Canada and contributed but always lamented his experience with the Canadians he met east and west - they were all "shy" in his experience. They more often than not had no opinions on Canadian or world events, he used to say - sort of a social vacuum it seemed to him. He felt that one reason immigrants did their own thing here was because they saw little social network to fit into.
What is a Canadian? When you think of people from other parts of the world, you probably have a strong mental image of who they are... and you might be right! If they don't see themelves as superior to Canadians, then they likely see us as irrelevant!
The world still sees Canada as a vast empty space and Canadians as unknown people (defined by Vimy Ridge, Normandy and perhaps now Afghanistan?). The fact that Canada continues to be one of the best run democracies in the western world and is a country filled with diverse hardworking talented creative people is largely unknown.
As for walking beside you and being your friend, Zip, why would an immigrant want to do that? Most of them just want jobs and for no government official to intimidate them.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe we could get Obama to come up and do it in "Rap"?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 PM
pud
Posting Guru
#1) Its OH CANADA...spelled like that and pronounced like that. French and english both. Its our national anthem, Its a song everyone in our country knows and we could all stand beside one another on any given day and recite the lyrics together, united.

everything else stands second to that.
Understanding this is what a real canadian does, and not try to change it to something that its not. The song IS canada, no one out there can argue against that.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:03 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Great topic, cant believe I didnt notice it before. I get pretty worked up with this sorta thing too.

I think canadians arent totally defined as a culture yet, but it gets me going when different cultures come here and push their culture or religeon upon us.

Your in Canada now, follow canadian rules and laws like the rest of us. If ya break em, get punished like the rest of us.

As for language, if ya cant speak fluent english or french in 2 years of being here, i say ya get deported.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
I must say though, I have seen both sides of the coin. People that have come to Canada and are not interested in following the customs and way of life and want to change the country. I have also seen people that come to Canada and embrace the customs and culture.

The first group I don't know, the second group as the title of the thread states are Proudly Canadian as am I.