Mississippi Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Scndsin

F-250 Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-250 Project

Howdy folks! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. We had a ball. Small in some ways - Huge in other ways. Sposed to have this week off as well, so I got LOTS of plans.

Two years ago, I bought an old 1978 F-250 - not running. Guy said a year before that, the oil pump seized when he killed it and broke the pin in the distributor shaft when he tried to re-start it. He said the truck should be good to go if the oil pump and distributor problem was repaired. I took him at his word, and I do believe he was shooting me straight.

A year ago I dropped the pan, replaced the oil pump (the old one was indeed locked up), the crank seals, timing chain and gears, and bought a HEI distributor - Ford bottom / GM top. But, I got side tracked and never started the engine. Rolled it over and couldn't get any fire at the plugs.

Friday, I pulled it back into the carport and set in on it again. Still no fire at the plugs. Took all the ignition components out of the distributor, put them right back in, and had fire at the plugs. Removed the carb and washed the dirt-dobber nest out of it. Timed the ignition, rolled it over - no fuel at the carb. Replaced the fuel pump and solved the fuel delivery problem.

Now I had fire and gas, but all it would do is spit back through the carb. Re-checked the timing. No change. Slept on it and decided to pull a valve cover and see if oil was coming to the top - it wasn't. Pulled the distributor and spun the oil pump til oil started coming out the push rods. Buttoned it all back up and it started the first time I rolled it over.

I'm thinking that the lifters must've lost their prime while it sat so long.

It's got a bad exhaust leak, but the steering, brakes, clutch, and gears all checked out. The wiring is a mess, so no lights. No gauges. I have not locked the hubs and tried the 4wd yet. Cain't wait for daylight to play with it some more. It still needs a pile of work to be road-ready, but I sure feel better about it at this point.

Got a long way to go, but it's been fun so far.

Mitch

Old 12-29-2008, 04:51 PM
sign_man
Senior User
My cousin in Liberty, the Chevy fan got an almost identical truck like that running for my uncle a few months ago. '78 3/4 4WD. Holler if you need parts.

Jeff saw Ralph Reeves the other day, he's got Parkinson's disease now, guess I need to visit while I still can.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:53 PM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
looks good im about to buy two 84 f250's that retired from a vol. fire dept. both have 460's but only one runs out. other threw a rod

Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Phil, I hate to hear that about Mr. Ralph. I haven't heard anything from him in a long time. Is Jeff still at the same place?

I may holler at you and see whatcha got that I could trade you out of. I've got a list started.

Tinkered on the old truck all day again today. Trying to get the tail lights re-wired.

Mitch

Old 12-31-2008, 07:29 AM
sign_man
Senior User
Jeff is still the service adviser at the Ford place in Columbus. Ralph had brought his 2000 F-350 in to have it serviced. Ralph told Jeff he lowered it years ago so his wife could get in and out and now is really glad he did else he couldn't.

Knowing you, you'll have blue dots installed in those tail lights. PM me your email.

Happy new year!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:19 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Mitch, that's a nice looking truck you got there. What's that red truck lurking in the back ground? Is that a slick?

Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Phil - I'm saving the blue dots for the '68. This one is all bidness. I've got a 2001 truck for for sale now. When it sales, I'll have to spend a little on the F-250 to get it road ready. Gonna hit the rear tank and keep pounding on the tail light wiring today. Making the best of this pretty weather.

Barry - ain't nuthing "slick" about the red cab in the background, but I used to think it was slick. It's a '68 that daddy and I drove for 30 years - everyday - til I bought a '94 in '98. It's got a 351C in it now that needs overhauling. If money is right after the 2001 truck sells, I might pick up a '77 Lincoln for the motor and transmission. Ain't checked it out yet.

Mitch

Old 01-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Got the tail lights and brake lights working today. Picked up four good Buckshots and have matching rims coming tomorrow. Might be Monday before I get them mounted.

Speedo works! Driver's side dome light switch works! Cargo light works!

Gonna try to see about getting a fuel tank back under it next. AND install new temp and oil pressure gauges under the dash.

Mitch

Old 01-03-2009, 11:25 PM
sign_man
Senior User
Fuzzy memory, wasn't the deal you used the 351C because you had to have a motor and I got it when you found something better or was I just supposed to get the next one?

Barry, the owner of the Torino he bought for the 351C reniged a little. After we bought it as is, I pulled some funny looking things out of the glove box and he said, "You boys can't have those blasting caps!"

Old 01-04-2009, 08:57 AM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
I don't imagine he wanted to be responsible for the things that might have happened if you guys would have got ahold of them blasting caps. I don't know how long ago this was but I know I could have had some fum with those in my younger days, heck I could have some fun with em now

Old 01-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
Originally Posted by sign_man
Fuzzy memory, wasn't the deal you used the 351C because you had to have a motor and I got it when you found something better or was I just supposed to get the next one?

Barry, the owner of the Torino he bought for the 351C reniged a little. After we bought it as is, I pulled some funny looking things out of the glove box and he said, "You boys can't have those blasting caps!"
Yep. That's the deal I remember on the Cleveland. After I get the '78 on the road (which ain't far off), I'm gonna pull the 351C and Tranny. Might see if I can crank it first. Last time I ran it, the oil pressure was VERY low. Hard to believe that was 9 years ago!

Barry - if Phil and I had got caught for half the stunts we pulled, we'd still be in the pen. We would've prolly made the pen if we could've kept those blasting caps!

Mitch

Old 01-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
More progress has been made! We ran it hard Saturday morning and must've given it the shakin' it needed. The rest of the exterior lights started working! Got a sweet deal on some rims and a sweeter deal on some really good used Buckshots. Got them mounted, balanced, and on the truck. Setting the timing made it run really well, but it has developed a slight miss. Gonna swap the plugs and see if that helps.

Mitch

Old 01-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
It was the plugs.

Ran good under throttle but had a miss just running down the road. I changed 1-4 first. Those plugs looked ok and the miss was still there. 5-8 all had a rusty colored build up on them. Swapped them all and the miss is gone.

Ran it up to 60 mph for about 4 miles and she runs and drives fine. Took my buddy up into the pasture to show him around and had run in 4wd most of the way. My cousin has been feeding cows at the back of the place, so the road in and out was rutted and muddy.

Got the rear tank put back under the bed. Blew the fuel line to the front of the truck out, and hooked it to the tank. I need to order new filler hoses. The tank is from a '73 F-100, and the hook-up is right backwards from the filler neck on the '78. Reckon this gonna be a problem? Not sure yet how much room I have to cross the hoses to get them hooked up.

I am well pleased with how good everything is going so far on this project. I like the truck!

Mitch

Old 01-10-2009, 04:46 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Good job on your truck Mitch. You might have to fabricate a new filler hose location, I don't think it would be that difficult, kinda like the elanor(sp) mustang. I have a 79 parts truck if need anything off of it, just let me know. Is that a PTO winch on the front? who made it? I have one sitting in the shop collecting dust, came off a 72 bronco I sold last year, wish I still had it.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Mitchissippi
Senior User
'preciate it Barry. I need to start a list of parts I need. Not sure just yet how long it might be. I'm missing some duct-work or something under the dash. I may have to look at a complete truck to tell what's not there on mine.

This evening I got the wiper motor bolted back in place - it was dangling. Got new wiper blades installed. Wipers wipe, but I did not get them finished before it quit raining.

Blew a fuse checking the Cee-gar lighter.

Oiled the glove box latch.

That's a slick Bronco in the pic. A friend of mine in high school had one. Those are neat trucks.

Mitch

Quick Reply: F-250 Project