Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2001 7.3L F350, Service Engine Soon, truck shakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:26 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Glad to hear you're back up and running. Too bad you forgot to put in a plug for FTE on your video.

Did you find any loose bolts on the rockers or injectors? A couple of loose injector bolts really changes the way the truck sounds.

If you're an FTE junkie now, we're glad to have you. Something you might consider is becoming a supporter of this site. Click on any of the supporter badges you see next to a user name, and you can contribute $20 for a supporter badge. This will also remove the ads from the screen and make things easier to read. It's not required, and your welcome to hang around for free, but the contributions help keep this site going. And I'm guessing a mechanic would have probably charged you more than the 50 cents you've got invested in the repair.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:33 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Glad to hear you're back up and running. Too bad you forgot to put in a plug for FTE on your video.

Did you find any loose bolts on the rockers or injectors? A couple of loose injector bolts really changes the way the truck sounds.

If you're an FTE junkie now, we're glad to have you. Something you might consider is becoming a supporter of this site. Click on any of the supporter badges you see next to a user name, and you can contribute $20 for a supporter badge. This will also remove the ads from the screen and make things easier to read. It's not required, and your welcome to hang around for free, but the contributions help keep this site going. And I'm guessing a mechanic would have probably charged you more than the 50 cents you've got invested in the repair.
X2

Old 12-27-2008, 07:03 PM
99350Ron
Junior User
Thank you very much. I just finished the passenger side with the quarter shim. Truck is back and running normally. I will do the driver's side on another day to ensure no problem on that side. I know of two other good friends whos trucks had the same symptoms. Both went to mechanics. One got new glow plugs and the other got at least one new injector, possibly more. Hopefully they were'nt sold something they didn't need, but I am sure glad I did this check and fix before taking it somewhere. Thanks again...Ron.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:29 PM
dahr85
Freshman User
Hey Chris,

Check out the YouTube video now:

YouTube - 2001 F350 7.3L Turbo Diesel, UVCH

I've added a quick plug for FTE at 1:35. I can't believe I forgot to mention it the first time. My bad.

Thanks again.

Darren

Last edited by dahr85; 12-27-2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added sig.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:49 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 99350Ron
Thank you very much. I just finished the passenger side with the quarter shim. Truck is back and running normally. I will do the driver's side on another day to ensure no problem on that side. I know of two other good friends whos trucks had the same symptoms. Both went to mechanics. One got new glow plugs and the other got at least one new injector, possibly more. Hopefully they were'nt sold something they didn't need, but I am sure glad I did this check and fix before taking it somewhere. Thanks again...Ron.
There's no telling how much people have spent at repair shops fixing some of the items we see here. You might want to encourage your friends to join FTE so they can learn about this type of stuff.

Originally Posted by dahr85
Hey Chris,

Check out the YouTube video now:

YouTube - 2001 F350 7.3L Turbo Diesel, UVCH

I've added a quick plug for FTE at 1:35. I can't believe I forgot to mention it the first time. My bad.

Thanks again.

Darren
Nice job with the FTE plug.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:26 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to subscribe to this one. I'm gonna be pulling some valve covers soon to check all of this. Nice job on the explanation Chris and great job on the video post Darren.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Scruffy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris and Darren, great job on the instructions and video! Reps sent to both. I took mine to the dealer not too long after buying my truck. I think it was on a recall as I recall and haven't had a problem since, but will keep this in mind if I have any problems of the like. Well worth being a supporter for a few hours of time and 50 cents for a repair!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 PM
7.3johnsonville
Senior User
Thanks goes to the guys who put effort into the diagnostics and repair of our trucks, i have learned more about my truck n the past few days trying to find my problem than many colledge courses could teach me about deisels in a year. this thread and a few other HELPED out ALOT. hope i can be of some help to some one one day now that i know the mechanics of a diesel. Just another Thanks!
:-2XX

Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
There's no telling how much people have spent at repair shops fixing some of the items we see here. You might want to encourage your friends to join FTE so they can learn about this type of stuff.

Nice job with the FTE plug.
And how many repair shops have used this information to fix vehicles!

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I missed this thread the first time -- great job, Chris!!

What gets me is the ~$100 VC gasket!! What a joke!! Most of the time, they don't need replaced...

Old 01-18-2009, 03:23 PM
jeepdude
New User
Great post... I think this is a solution to my problem also, having the intermitent ses light also. I can push down on the connector on the driver side valve cover while the truck is running and change the pitch of the truck considerably. Passenger side doesn't change when I mess with it.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM
jeepdude
New User
Worked for me... only took about an hour to do the driver's side
thanks for the helpful post
mike in indiana

Old 02-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Bulloxor
New User
did the test and found evething good on the passenger side but the drivers side showed one injector reading open no reading checked multiple times just to make sure same thing what now?

Old 02-22-2009, 04:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Welcome to FTE Bulloxor. Tell us what symptoms your truck is experiencing. With this thread, I'm guessing it's running very rough? I'd say you're next step is to pull the valve cover. At this point, you can check the wiring to be on the safe side. Also check where the wire plugs into the injector. A slight miss with the CEL could indicate a bad injector, a really rough running truck could indicate a bad injector solenoid which can take down the entire bank.

A simple test is after you get the valve cover off, unplug the suspect injector and see if it changes how the truck runs. You can also start the truck with the everything still plugged in and observe the oil discharge from each injector. If the open injector is not spitting any oil, that means it's not firing.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Bulloxor
New User
how do i know which injector is the bad one, i know which pin read bad how do i follow thru

Quick Reply: 2001 7.3L F350, Service Engine Soon, truck shakes