high performance 300 (get inline!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:46 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
high performance 300 (get inline!)

I just thought I would post regarding my engine swap. I have a F-350 with a 390 and a C-6. I am currently rebuilding a '78 ford 300 inline 6 to put in it, with an AOD trans.

I had the head redone with Chevy 1.94 intake valves, and 1.74 exhaust, with new hardened exhaust seats, new double Isky springs and new studs, ported, with Isky RV cam, late model flat top high compression pistons, hedman headers with dual exhaust, Offenhauser four barrell intake, dual plane, and an Autolite 4100 with 1.08 venturi, rebuilt by Pony Carbs, and electronic HEI, recurved distributor.

I'm dying to see how it runs.

If you have any do or don'ts, or questions, let me know.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:47 PM
murph77
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. I'm in love with the 300, but have never heard of anyone going to the extent with one that you are. Please keep us updated, sounds exciting to me.

300 in a 1 ton........cool.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by murph77
Wow. I'm in love with the 300, but have never heard of anyone going to the extent with one that you are. Please keep us updated, sounds exciting to me.

300 in a 1 ton........cool.

That what i been think put 4.9L 300 in my 93 F350 but need time.

F250 restorer

can you get pic of head? How you fit chevy valve in it? how many hp or torque when it stock and performance? If it improve much then I would try do same thing you did but it have fuel injector.

How you get AOD work since they require computer? For me I stay with C6

Old 12-06-2008, 07:42 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
over-size valves for 300 inline

If you go to www.cliffordperformance.net, you'll see he is selling the same valves, for ford heads, also the complete head, only milled down about .040! I think he sells it for about $1200.

I didn't want to go that radical with the rebuild, with the high compression milled head, because I wanted to use 87 octane. What Clifford's doesn't tell you, is that he is selling small block Chevy valves, and they are cheaper than ford valves! To port my head, match the intake ports, install new hardened exhaust valve seats, install my new oversize valves, install new h.P. rocker arm studs, new guides, install my new Isky springs, and a three angle valve job, I paid $785.

The Clifford engine produces 300 h.p. From the factory this engine made 170 h.p. Mine should make about 260, which is the same as my 390. With tranny and all, I hope to get about 15 mph around town, and about 18-19 on the freeway.

Tranny: There is the electronic Aod, and the simple aod without all the electronics. I'm going with a '92 without all the elect. I'm told that 92 and 93 trucks and vans were the strongest aod's, with the 2" overdrive belt.

cheers.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:45 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
EFI head

Milwaukee

You don't want to mess with an EFI head. When it comes to the computer controlled system, don't mess with the head.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Ok but just hop it would get more power but understand that computer need update but not do that.

Well what gear ratio in F250?

My 79 F150 weight 5,000 pounds and get 15 mpg in city 17 mpg in Highway in summer keep in mind you need make long trip for 18 mpg.

winter I get 10-15 on highway but city 6-12

gear ratio is 3.55 with 31X9.50X15

Did 89 F150 came with AOD? I have 2 89 F150 they were convert to manual transmission. I don't know why but I hate when they do because have trouble with flex in cab when push clutch.

What best AOD in 92-93? E250 or F250?

I do want see that I bet it must strong than 351W or V10.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
what is your compression ratio? could you elaborate on the late model high compression pistons you used?

Be sure and post videos and tire smoke

Recently a guy ported an efi head, took a fair amount of material out, even ported the intake, according to him, when tested, the air/fuel was fine across the board, so seems the stock eec can handle port work to the efi head. As a note, no other changes were made, stock efi manifolds and cam/compression ratio.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
compression pistons

Motorhead351--

Regarding the high compression pistons: The machine shop is going to get them for me. They are for an early '90s 300, and are flat top. In the book I believe the pistons are rated for nine to one, just a small increase from the stock 7.9 to one compression of the stock engine.

I should be taking the block in to have it done this coming week, and I could get the exact year and other info of the pistons then, if you want.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:46 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Aod --

Milwaukee--

You should be able to tell an AOD trans by the 14 bolts on the drain/fluid pan on the bottom of the tranny.

Since I don't haul much with my truck, a few years back I changed the rear end to an easier gear ratio. I went from 3.74 to 3.33 (I believe it was three point three three, but would have to check and see what the exact number was that Ford made).

Old 12-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
I knew what you were talking about, just never heard them described as high comp pistons.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought all 300s had dished pistons. I want to find a set of flat tops for an upcoming 300 buildup of my own.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A aod in a one ton? If I'm not mistaken aods don't have the best reputation for reliability, that's even behind a stock (gutless) 300 or 302 in a half ton.

Are you beefing up the AOD at all, or leaving it stock. I have no doubts that the mighty 300 could pull a one ton around, but I can already see an AOD being torn to pieces.

I don't mean you any disrespect or anything, I'm just curious as to why an aod? A C6 would be ten times the transmission in that truck.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:17 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
AOD tranny or not? AND flat top pistons

hey--

I see quite a few of you are concerned about me putting in an aod, in an F-350. I was concerned too to start with, especially since this C-6 has brought me through Hell and High water, so to speak. With the C-6 I have driven it fully loaded with camper and aluminum boat atop, over dessert and mountains, 18 hours into Mexico. It has also taken me, fully loaded, and pulling a trailor, to Portland, Oregon, and back twice.

I guess I am looking for a way to get better milage. After reading the websites, etc., I have learned that the '92-'93 F series trucks and the vans came with the strongest aod made, with a two inch wide overdrive band. There are after market kits made to make them (supposedly) bullet proof. An extra gear, and then over-drive to boot, really appeals to me. And like most automatics, the key is keeping the tranny cool, or at least not hot.

The truck is my daily driver and work truck. I rarely haul with it anymore, so I think I'll be okay. And with all the aftermarket goodies, if I should need to tow, I know I'll be covered.

FLAT TOP PISTONS: Ross makes forged, 9.5:1 pistons for the 300. However, my machine shop checked their book, and found one of the latter years came with higher compression, flat top pistons. When I go back in to have the block done, I check the exact year and post it here. It is a lot cheaper than getting them from Ross.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:03 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
hey--

I see quite a few of you are concerned about me putting in an aod, in an F-350. I was concerned too to start with, especially since this C-6 has brought me through Hell and High water, so to speak. With the C-6 I have driven it fully loaded with camper and aluminum boat atop, over dessert and mountains, 18 hours into Mexico. It has also taken me, fully loaded, and pulling a trailor, to Portland, Oregon, and back twice.

I guess I am looking for a way to get better milage. After reading the websites, etc., I have learned that the '92-'93 F series trucks and the vans came with the strongest aod made, with a two inch wide overdrive band. There are after market kits made to make them (supposedly) bullet proof. An extra gear, and then over-drive to boot, really appeals to me. And like most automatics, the key is keeping the tranny cool, or at least not hot.

The truck is my daily driver and work truck. I rarely haul with it anymore, so I think I'll be okay. And with all the aftermarket goodies, if I should need to tow, I know I'll be covered.
I'll admit I don't know everything there is to know about aods, mainly cause I love my C6s, but isn't the newer style aod electronic? Meaning you'd somehow have to use a stand alone electronic brain box for the tranny? Or am I getting them confused with 4R70Ws and E4ODs?

In either case if your gonna spend some bucks building a AOD I highly recommend installing a good sized tranny cooler (maybe even throw a small electronic fan on it) and a tranny temp gauge for sure.

As far as can tell, from everything I've read and whatnot, I don't believe Ford originally used AODs in anything bigger then a half ton. Also when they did use the aod it was found behind early Fuel injected 300s and 302, not that either of them is a bad engine they're just not know for absolute gobs of torque. Seems like your gonna have the added stress of a built 300 pumping quite a bit of tourqe through it, while at the same time its being expected to survive in a truck wieghing a good 1000 pounds of so more then what it was designed for. Now throw 5 or 6 hundred pounds in the bed, and a passenger or two in the cab, and I think that aod is gonna be sweating from the added stress.

It may be a more exspensive option but a C6 mated to a auxilery overdrive tranny would seem like a better option. I can tell you a basically stock C6 with a gear venders overdrive will handle a lot of wieght and torque. A buddy of mine has that setup behind a built turbo IDI 7.3 in a 85 F350 4x4. It dynoed at 705 foot pounds of torque, and he pulls a 5er cross country with it. Like I said it might seem pricey up front but after 2 or 3 aod rebuilds the cost factor is about the same. If his transimission combo has so far survived that kinda punishment for the last 5 years, then I'm sure it would last a hell of a long time in a daily driver/casual hauler.

Like I said before man no disrespect to you, or the aod in general, I just don't think its gonna be enough tranny for the job.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another option would be... if you don't mind driving a manual tranny would be a ZF 5 speed out of a later model F250 or F350. The ZFs that came from behind a 351w will bolt right up behind your 300. I swapped one into my 96 F150 after destroying the POS M5OD. It was a direct bolt in swap, it used the same clutch, slave cyl, trans mount, and reverse light switch. I love the deeper first gear (5.72) for starting with a heavy load and towing, yet it still has the same .76 overdrive that the Mazda tranny had. Oh BTW please do post the info on which flat tops you're using I am very interested.

Quick Reply: high performance 300 (get inline!)