S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Portable GPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 02:49 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Portable GPS

So, tis the season and I'm thinking of a portable GPS for SWMBO for Christmas (thanks giva giva Steve).

I'd like to keep it under $200 and she is techno challenged so it needs to be simple.

What do you guys like or recommend?

Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,065 Likes on 4,165 Posts
Bill...I'm a fan of Garmin...I have a Street Pilot that I bought off Flea Bay...it was a reconditioned unit...no issues!!!

I understand you can get a NUVI 205 for <$200.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Serg450
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
So, tis the season and I'm thinking of a portable GPS for SWMBO for Christmas (thanks giva giva Steve).

I'd like to keep it under $200 and she is techno challenged so it needs to be simple.

What are you putting the GPS in? Is it your truck?

Old 12-05-2008, 09:48 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
She drives an Escape. But I'm looking for a portable so I assume the vehicle does not matter.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 AM
BigGeo
Senior User
Gps

Garmin has a few Portable GPS units that have batteries as well as being able to plug into the cig. lighter for under $200. Amazon.Com has a bunch listed. They stick to the windshield with a suction cup BKT. as well as being portable. Easy to use.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:56 PM
sleek122
Senior User
Originally Posted by bpounds

What are you going to be using it for? Just for vehicles or is there a possibility you will use it hiking, backpacking and such? If you are just looking for a protable to transfer from vehicle to vehicle I have the TomTom one and it is around $200 look @ bestbuy I think they have them on sale now. It has the text to speach and they automaticaly update so you don't have to buy the CD's to update them, saves $$ in the long run. It also has a battery that is supposed to last like 3 hrs good enough for short trips.

If you are looking for something that might be used hiking/backpacking the Garmin E-Trex series would be good to look at. I have the base E-trex that has no roads just for outdoor stuff and they are around $100, you can get the models with the maps for under $200, I have never used the E-Trex that has maps. The only thing with them is that they are small screens mostly made for portability.

Good luck on your decision, I know that there are a ton of them out there and just giving my .02 on what I know.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:12 PM
F354JOE
Elder User
I have the Garmin Nuvi 200W and I use it daily. It is a pretty awsome tool. You may want to check craiglist.org I bought mine from a private party Brand new for $160

Old 12-11-2008, 02:34 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Thanks to all for the comments. I ordered a Garmin Nuvi 260W last night.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:05 PM
BigGeo
Senior User
Garmin 265WT

Have a question. Does the SD Card have to be in the unit to accept maps? I want to down load some TOPO sections using the Garmin Topo USA.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:53 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I looked at the manual online and the Garmin site, and still don't know the answer to your question.

It looks like you have to have the Mapsource software. Do you have that?

I did not see any topo maps that were compatible with the 265, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Do you already have the maps?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:37 PM
BigGeo
Senior User
The 265WT GPS

I have the Topo Soft Ware and was able to add maps to may other Garmin Fishfinder 172C. This new unit is suppose to be able accept addittional maps using a SD Card where the other one used a cartridge. The handbook doesn't help too much. I think I'll call Garmin tomorrow and see what they have to say.
Thanks for trying to help.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:37 AM
BigGeo
Senior User
Sd Vs Sdhc

I just reached another level in the learning curve. There is a difference between the two. That is why my older SD Card was able to accept the maps and the new card (SDHC) would not. The new SDHC Cards are designed for large amounts of memory 2GB plus. I'm going back tomorrow and enlighten the sales clerk so he doesn't lead another newbie astray.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BigGeo
I just reached another level in the learning curve. There is a difference between the two. That is why my older SD Card was able to accept the maps and the new card (SDHC) would not. The new SDHC Cards are designed for large amounts of memory 2GB plus. I'm going back tomorrow and enlighten the sales clerk so he doesn't lead another newbie astray.
Oh, yeah that is true. The SDHC drives will read the old cards, but old drives won't handle the new cards.

Also, be careful of capacity. Not all devices will handle a 4gb SD card for example. I bought some 4gb and my camera will only recognize 2gb maximum.

I noticed Garmin sells their topo maps already installed on an SD card. For around $100. They also have nautical charts.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:01 PM
BigGeo
Senior User
Gps

Talked to Garmin Tech Support this morning. I need to put the SDHC Card in the GPS unit and with the USB cord pluged into the computer follow the steps for downloading the maps. It needs to be in the 265WT unit so it formats properly.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:17 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Report back on how the topo maps work George. I might be interested in doing that with "hers". I guess I would have to take her hunting with me more often so she can navigate.

Quick Reply: Portable GPS