S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Word 'O' The Day

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Word 'O' The Day

Thought I would start a separate thread for this valuable and most edumucational service.

Here goes:

chawbacon

\CHAW-bay-kun\
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
noun

Meaning
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
: bumpkin, hick

Example Sentence
Larry has been living in the city for almost a year, but he’s still as much of a chawbacon as the day he left the farm.

My version: Brady was nicknamed Bubba Red Beard by an FTE user who thought he looked like a chawbacon.<!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) BEGINS --><!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) ENDS -->

Did you know?
“Chaw” is an alteration of “chew” that is still used in some English dialects, especially in rural areas. Cured pork, or bacon, was a staple of some rural folks’ diets in the past. Since the 16th century, “chaw” has been combined with “bacon” to create a ludicrous name for an uncultured yokel. Over the centuries, the word has lent its delicious dialect flavor to a wide range of publications, but it has become less common in recent decades. Today, city dwellers are as likely as country folk to chow down on bacon, and the word “chawbacon” isn’t often on the lips of either group.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like your version better. Good one Russ

Old 12-01-2008, 04:15 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah i even like your version better Russ....

Old 12-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Word 'O' The Day

ineffable

\in-EFF-uh-bul\
adjective

Meaning
1 *a : incapable of being expressed in words : indescribable b : unspeakable
2 : not to be uttered : taboo

Example Sentence
Bill felt an ineffable joy putting the crosshairs on his first Bull Elk.

<!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) BEGINS --><!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) ENDS -->

Did you know?
"Every tone was a testimony against slavery, and a prayer to God for deliverance from chains. The hearing of those wild notes always depressed my spirit, and filled me with ineffable sadness," wrote Frederick Douglass in his autobiography. Reading Douglass's words, it's easy to see that "ineffable" means "indescribable" or "unspeakable." And when we break down the word to its Latin roots, it's easy to see how those meanings came about. "Ineffable" comes from "ineffabilis," which joins the prefix "in-," meaning "not," with the adjective "effabilis," meaning "capable of being expressed." "Effabilis" comes from "effari" ("to speak out"), which in turn comes from "ex-" and "fari" ("to speak").

Old 12-04-2008, 10:40 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A word for that which cannot be described in words.

Quite the conundrum.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Serg450
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats it, I'm going back to school.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:41 PM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
well its good that we had a word like ineffable other wise how would we describe what we couldnt express? thank you Russ

Old 12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
A word for that which cannot be described in words.

Quite the conundrum.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I thought ineffable was your sister. I like the real def better.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Serg450
Posting Guru
I thought all you needed to be on this forum was a FORD TRUCK. Not a PHD.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
I finally got it. I'm ashamed (and frankly a bit disturbed) that I didn't get it earlier.
Originally Posted by Serg450
I thought all you needed to be on this forum was a FORD TRUCK. Not a PHD.
PHorD truck.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Kep4
Jäger
golem

\GOH-lum\
noun

Meaning
1 : an artificial being in Hebrew folklore endowed with life
*2 : someone or something resembling a golem

Example Sentence
With the flick of a switch, Steve brought life to his creation, then watched with awe as the golem rose from the table.<!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) BEGINS --><!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) ENDS -->

Did you know?
The Hebrew ancestor of the word "golem" meant "shapeless mass," and the original golems started as lumps of clay that were formed into figures and brought to life by means of a charm or a combination of letters forming a sacred word. In the Middle Ages, golems were thought to be the perfect servants; their only fault was that they were sometimes too literal or mechanical in fulfilling their masters' orders. In the 16th century, the golem was thought of as a protector of the Jews in times of persecution. But by the late 1800s, "golem" had acquired a less friendly second sense, referring to a man-made monster that inspired many of the back-from-the-dead creations of classic horror fiction.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Just doubling your pleasure on a Friday!

litany

\LIH-tuh-nee\
noun

Meaning
1 : a prayer consisting of a series of invocations and supplications by the leader with alternate responses by the congregation
2 a : a resonant or repetitive chant *b : a usually lengthy recitation or enumeration c : a sizable series or set

Example Sentence
Russ offered the usual litany of excuses for not showing up at the FTE So Cal Chapter meet. <!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) BEGINS --><!-- Advertising Text Box (for Encycl. Britannica) ENDS -->

Did you know?
"Litany" came to English through Anglo-French and Late Latin, and ultimately from the Greek word "litaneia," meaning "entreaty." A "litany" refers literally to a type of prayer in which a series of lines are spoken alternately by a leader and a congregation. Recent decades have seen the development of three figurative senses. The chant-like quality of a literal litany led to the "repetitive chant" sense. Next, the repetitious nature of the original litany led to the "lengthy recitation" sense. Finally, the “lengthy recitation” sense led to the meaning “a sizable series or set.”

Old 12-05-2008, 11:20 PM
F354JOE
Elder User
Originally Posted by bpounds

Right On Bill, I like that.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 AM
quietman
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
For a fun twist, try here:

[ The Devil's Dictionary Dot Com ]

Pick a word you know and learn a new definition.

JR

Quick Reply: Word 'O' The Day