2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Cam Phaser Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:51 AM
ejimcruz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Phazer Replacement

Just wanted to thank Steve for an awesome step by step guide..
I encorage anyone to follow his guide..

My F150 has 159K it started to make loud clicking noise as soon as you started the engine.. I knew then that not only I had to change the phazer but also the lifters..

Is really not that complicated just have to be patient and believe you can do it.
Here in Plano TX,, The local dealer charges $2700.00 for the phazers..

The Phazers cost $260 each.. and the valve cover gasket $75 each. You figure how much they charge.. It took me 4 hrs to replace one side. (one day job for both sides). If you are carefull when you remove the valve cover the gasket could be reused..

The lifters cost around $10 each. (3 per cylider) I will recomend to change the lifters also.. If you can hear the clicking noise as soon you start the engine your lifters are stuck.. But if you hear the noise after a while then the phazer is bad.. In mine both were bad.. Use an engine stethoscope or hose to listen to the clicking noise and pin point the cylinder and phazer..

If you do not have the wedge tool use thin wire to hold the chain in place. Wrap the chain on both sides of the phazer.. Thin wire you can buy in any hobby stores..Mainly use in flower arrengements

When replacing the lifters always be carefull to mark the camshaft timing.
Just take the time mark the alingment of the camshaft.

I replaced the lifters first and then the phazer, Start to loosen all the bolts that hold the camshaft from the back to the front, As you remove them place them in the same order in a clean open area near you. Do not remove the bolts near the phazer it will make the camshaft come out.. As you remove the bolts and U brackets the camshaft have tendency to lean to the front.. Just be patient and take the time to lift the rockers one at time and replace the lifters.. Is good to oil lifters, placed them in oil for a while before you replace them (5W20 oil only).. Once all lifters are in place install the rockers take your time. Install all the bolts and U brakets.. Do not apply to much torque to bolts.

Use Steve guide to remove and replace the phazer..

Be carefull not to pull out the vacum line on top of the valve cover..
If it become loose from the back of the engine it will make the engine stall and you will have no brake..

Good Luck and take your time.. And use only 5W20 oil with recommended oil filter motorcraft.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:51 PM
kookeemonkey
New User
Great post, did both of my phasers and I can actually leave my truck running when I go to a drive-thru now. My biggest problem was the cam chain locking tool...I didn't want to spend all the money on it so I built one that worked great. Used a piece of HDPE from and old cutting board, 12" long piece of 8-32 threaded stock, and welded ring. Here's a photo if anyone is interested in saving a few bucks and MacGuyvering their own.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - kookeemonkey's Album: cam chain locking tool

Old 04-13-2011, 11:26 AM
gdberry01
New User
VCT Phaser Replacement

Looks like I'll be doing this one. The Ford Dealership *stealership* wants to charge me $1,800 to do this and $1,200 of that is labor. Um, no. I have a mechanic that I can pay $40 an hour to do this with me, so I'll go that route. Parts will be $500 - $600 no matter which way I go, so that will be that. I found the Timing Chain holder for $89 on the internet, so I'll buy one. You never know when I'll need it again. And of course, Ford says, "We have to take the front of the engine off to replace the VCT Phasers." Well, we ALL know that's a crock.

Wish me luck!!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:55 PM
IA_Chiefs_fan
New User
You can rent of buy the FR-303-1175-TD timing chain wedge here Timing Chain Locking Wedge

Old 04-28-2011, 12:14 AM
C F Industries
Freshman User
Hey guys, I bought the chain locking tool from this guy and he has made a valve spring tool that works great too. He sells the wedge for 89.00 dollars. It worked pefectly for me.

This package includes both tools you'll need for your cam swap. ... 5.4L (3V) F-250 350 450 550 Super Duty 2005 5.4L (3V) F-250 350 450 550 Super Duty 2006 ...
3V Camshaft Swap Tool Set - Cached

Old 04-29-2011, 03:20 PM
gdberry01
New User
Phaser Replacement

Okay, so my cam phasers cost me, $162 a piece, and I got the Chain Locking Wedge for $89.00. My mechanic friend, opened the shop after hours and we did the phaser replacement then. 5 hours, $20 a hour, $120. (I gave him an extra $20)
So, do the math, and then tell me the Dealership doesn't overcharge like mad. Well, now it's not the same problem. Only Dieseled once, and loses power on hills. My gas mileage went from 12 mpg to 16 mpg, so that's better. But, there is still something wrong with my truck. I'm beginning to believe, that the best selling pick-up in America, is a piece of crap.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Island Truck
New User
Cam Phaser part number

Are the part numbers for the phasers the same on both sides. I have two and I'm planning on starting this weekend, but now I'm wondering if there is a right side phaser and a left side phaser.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Shawns Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a good write up, I wonder how many of these are done on a regular basis without doing the cam followers/lifters. They are required to be replaced per TSB.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:46 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Great write up and great follow up postings! Still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a piece of delrin on a stick costing $150 though.

OUCH!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:02 PM
IA_Chiefs_fan
New User
Originally Posted by tbear853
Great write up and great follow up postings! Still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a piece of delrin on a stick costing $150 though.

OUCH!
You can purchase the FR-303-1175-TD for about half that here. Or you can just rent them.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:24 PM
C F Industries
Freshman User
Shawn's Fords, The tool that I mentioned besides the locking wedge, is for removing the cam followers. I bought one and it worked great, it was a little tight on the rear cyl's but they even told you that up front.
If you don't at least take the cam followers out and inspect them for flat spots you are taking a big chance. If the are worn flat they can break and the cam will spit them out from under it taking the valve retainer and keepers with it, dropping the valve into the engine. It is not worth short cutting this job. I recommend getting the right tools and do the job right, one time. Don't bother to ask how I know this................

Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 PM
ChrisCarter
Senior User
Originally Posted by ejimcruz
Just wanted to thank Steve for an awesome step by step guide..
I encorage anyone to follow his guide..

My F150 has 159K it started to make loud clicking noise as soon as you started the engine.. I knew then that not only I had to change the phazer but also the lifters..

Is really not that complicated just have to be patient and believe you can do it.
Here in Plano TX,, The local dealer charges $2700.00 for the phazers..

The Phazers cost $260 each.. and the valve cover gasket $75 each. You figure how much they charge.. It took me 4 hrs to replace one side. (one day job for both sides). If you are carefull when you remove the valve cover the gasket could be reused..

The lifters cost around $10 each. (3 per cylider) I will recomend to change the lifters also.. If you can hear the clicking noise as soon you start the engine your lifters are stuck.. But if you hear the noise after a while then the phazer is bad.. In mine both were bad.. Use an engine stethoscope or hose to listen to the clicking noise and pin point the cylinder and phazer..

If you do not have the wedge tool use thin wire to hold the chain in place. Wrap the chain on both sides of the phazer.. Thin wire you can buy in any hobby stores..Mainly use in flower arrengements

When replacing the lifters always be carefull to mark the camshaft timing.
Just take the time mark the alingment of the camshaft.

I replaced the lifters first and then the phazer, Start to loosen all the bolts that hold the camshaft from the back to the front, As you remove them place them in the same order in a clean open area near you. Do not remove the bolts near the phazer it will make the camshaft come out.. As you remove the bolts and U brackets the camshaft have tendency to lean to the front.. Just be patient and take the time to lift the rockers one at time and replace the lifters.. Is good to oil lifters, placed them in oil for a while before you replace them (5W20 oil only).. Once all lifters are in place install the rockers take your time. Install all the bolts and U brakets.. Do not apply to much torque to bolts.

Use Steve guide to remove and replace the phazer..

Be carefull not to pull out the vacum line on top of the valve cover..
If it become loose from the back of the engine it will make the engine stall and you will have no brake..

Good Luck and take your time.. And use only 5W20 oil with recommended oil filter motorcraft.

First of all the Adjusters do not get stuck if they do you're truck is done. This is motor has zero clearance, meaning it has no room for nothing to fail.. I hope you also primed those lifters before buying. I paid 180 for my phaser, and 7 a piece for the 24 adjusters. You should of soaked the cam in oil, and primed the lifters before removing. The tensioners also need to be replaced so its best to go ahead and remove the front timing cover.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:40 PM
jloera47
New User
hello gdberry01 im about to do phaserkit change they charging $265 dl you mantion $168 or some like that will you like to sende me where to buy it tanks hope to hear from you soon

Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 AM
05 F one fiddy
New User
TascaParts.com is the cheapest place I have found.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:55 AM
TwinSkrewd
Freshman User
Some good info here. Hope I never need it.

Quick Reply: DIY - Cam Phaser Replacement