West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

Need your opinion on a part!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:58 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your opinion on a part!

Guys, I know that some parts are ok to buy used and some things you just buy new but how about a brake controller?

My 250 had one one it but the guy unplugged it and took it when he sold the truck. I've planned all along to buy one to be able to tow a travel trailer but didn't know if this is one of those 'buy it new' parts.

What's your opinion? So far I've been lucky and haven't needed a controller but I'm getting closer to needing one and need to start doing my research.

Thanks

Joe

Old 11-26-2008, 08:06 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, for something like that I would probably shoot for new, unless you were getting it used from somebody you know/trust etc.

I bought a Tekonsha Prodigy from a guy on ebay who sold them new. He had sold a bunch of them in the past and had 100% positive feedback. I got the controller with the F250 specific cable for about $110 shipped. Turned out to be a good buy, luckily. I probably would avoid ones on ebay that are advertised as "used" or sold "as is".

I don't know which unit you're looking at but the Prodigy is pretty popular. Mine has worked like a champ for me so far.

Good luck!
Jason

Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The big problem with used, you probably get cut wires and no instructions.

The no instructions may not be a big deal, but then again there may be features you would never figure out.

I just saw one if you hold the lever on the controller, turn the engine off, when you release the lever the trailer brakes stay locked.

Very handy for loading machinery on a steep hill.

Don't remember the name, but it came from Tractor Supply and was slightly under 100 dollars.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:57 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Everything I've read says the Prodigy is the OEM stuff from Ford and everybody seems to be happy with it.

In our case, it's pretty much a plug and play with the Prodigy from what I've read...that's my probable route.

Joe

Old 11-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Paul T
More Turbo
I agree with Dave you could be getting a "pig in a poke". You might be lucky enough to find a webpage of the manufacturer that will give you instructions. Otherwise if you do not know the history of it then I would think twice. I picked mine up for a little more than $100.00. If you do go used take time to test it good before starting out on a long trip. I almost had my 24' camper get away from me this summer, driving too fast and caught a groove in the road and started swaying, even with a sway bar, so I grabbed the brake controller to slow the trailer down which it did and it straightened right up. It was not a time when you hoped it would work, we all were a little tense for a few seconds.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:43 AM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep... if you buy the cable specific for your truck it'll be totally plug & play.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:58 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Yeah Jason, that's the plan.

Joe