Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

edge owners please reply

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:24 AM
brooklyn born
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edge owners please reply

well i decided to get rid of my 05 Excursion 6.0 PSD. went to the dealer and looked at some Edge models and took a brochure. i plan to wait until this time next year when the 2010 hybrid will be avail. How do some of the Edge owners like their vehicles? any maint. issues? thanks

Old 11-22-2008, 06:12 AM
jeepman5112
New User
I have only had mine a week. It is a great so far. Gas miliage is not bad for a suv

Old 11-25-2008, 08:52 AM
bradcollison
Senior User
Originally Posted by brooklyn born
well i decided to get rid of my 05 Excursion 6.0 PSD. went to the dealer and looked at some Edge models and took a brochure. i plan to wait until this time next year when the 2010 hybrid will be avail. How do some of the Edge owners like their vehicles? any maint. issues? thanks
We love ours. 2008 Limited AWD with ALL the options. 5,000 miles.

24MPG Hwy. driving 75MPH in hilly terrian.

No issues at all. Outstanding vehicle!!

You'll find the same responses to the maint. issues question. There have been VERY few issues with these vehicles.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 PM
velcro7279
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Got ours in February. 2008 SE FWD Vapor Silver. We love it. Traded our 03 F 150 4x4 for it. Had a baby on the way and was looking for something with better fuel mileage. We get anywhere between 18-24 depending on driving conditions. Have almost 11k on it now with zero issues so far. There was a chatter in the power steering, but it hasn't been noticed for a couple of weeks now. No trips to the dealer for anything though. Most people that I have heard of really enjoy theirs. Very nice vehicle and fun to drive. They are pretty spunky, when you wind them up to about 3k RPM it really takes off.

Steve

Old 12-14-2008, 09:59 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 306 Likes on 281 Posts
Just got a used 2008 SEL AWD in the Vapor Silver (I believe) yesterday. 7100 miles on the odometer from previous owner. Pros: Love the styling, has nice get up and go, very smooth and is a very nice riding vehicle. Cons: I wish that there was just a little more hip/side to side room in it. My wife will be the primary driver and she is very happy with it.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:36 AM
locolobo
New User
I have 21000 trouble free miles on it and this is one great vehicle. I have used my Edge in all driving conditions from snow in the mountains to very sandy roads and the car handles wonderful. I wish they would have come out with a vehicle like this years ago.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:14 PM
glcat
New User
2007 edge

I really love this vehicle. it is fast wonderful acceleration almost as fas as my 87 mustang gt. i am 6-2 280 lbs and this car is comfortable for me to drive. great vehicle

Old 12-30-2008, 11:58 AM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 306 Likes on 281 Posts
UPDATE: We had a nasty snow storm about a week and a half ago and the Edge is my wife's primary vehicles. Her work closed early and on the way home, she was dealing with roads that had up to 6" of snow on them along with some blowing and drifting. She had no issues what so ever with wheel spin or anything else. When she got home, there was a smile from ear to ear becasue she enjoyed driving the Edge in that crap.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 PM
pilot10
More Turbo
Bought an new 07 MKX in June 08- was a little bit less $$ than the 08 edge we were looking at.

Pros- very nice vehicle. rides nice. The heated/cooled seats spoil you pretty quick. THX stereo rocks. Vista roof is great.
Cons - in the shop today for the second time. 1st time in Oct. was a loose headliner- which was replaced and plastic clip on vista roof was broken. 2nd time- oil leak onto exhaust causing smoking at stop signs/red lights. Was told there are two leaks- A transaxle seal and I'm getting a new "updated" power take-off unit.

What exactly is a power take-off unit?? Service manager said it controlled the AWD. He indicated it was like the transmission. (the oil leak was definitely motor oil not tranny fluid)

I'm going skiing next Thursday and it should be ready by Mon or Tues(fingers are crossed).

Tim

Old 01-02-2009, 09:08 PM
mgazak
Laughing Gas
Pilot - they mean Power Transfer Unit. It is what transfers power between the front and rear wheels as part of the AWD system. A leak from around the PTU seems to be a common first year glich on the Edge and MKX. Other than this issue, ours has been great. That is good they are replacing the whole unit for you. Last year they just replaced a seal in the PTU and now the leak is back for us. I've read on other fourms to resolve this issue, they need to install a new PTU. Currently the parts are on order for us. We still have it to drive in the meantime.

Also interesting you mentioned about the headliner. Our is coming down a little inside the left rear door. I showed it to the dealer the last time I had it in and they ordered a new one for us.

Overall, though, really enjoy our Edge (owned since April of 2007).

Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM
pilot10
More Turbo
Originally Posted by mgazak
Pilot - they mean Power Transfer Unit. It is what transfers power between the front and rear wheels as part of the AWD system. A leak from around the PTU seems to be a common first year glich on the Edge and MKX. Other than this issue, ours has been great. That is good they are replacing the whole unit for you. Last year they just replaced a seal in the PTU and now the leak is back for us. I've read on other fourms to resolve this issue, they need to install a new PTU. Currently the parts are on order for us. We still have it to drive in the meantime.

Also interesting you mentioned about the headliner. Our is coming down a little inside the left rear door. I showed it to the dealer the last time I had it in and they ordered a new one for us.

Overall, though, really enjoy our Edge (owned since April of 2007).
Thanks for the clarification- When the service manger said power take off unit I'm thinking farm equipment or dump bed on a work truck.

As for the headliner you might want to examine your interior plastic trim pieces b4 taking it in to have the headliner replaced. My dealer delayed the return of the vehicle because the needed to order some "trim" pieces as they put it. When I got the vehicle back there was a new door sill on the passenger side. Additionally the rear panel(from the rear seat back to the hatchback) on the drivers side had two stress marks while the passenger side had over a dozen. Disappointing but worth another trip back, not sure? I wasn't keen on losing the vehicle for another day so they could replace them. The dealer also had to replace the rubber molding around the hatchback and failed to seat the gasket properly- no big deal to fit properly. I did have them remove the sticky white silicone goop they left in numerous places on the gasket though. When I took it in the other day I mentioned the stress marks in the plastic panel he said they would take care of it- was not really expecting anything, just asking them to be more careful. So if they replace them great. If not no real disappointment. Also the headliner in rattling a little again- this time it is a cover for the roll-up sun shade-I don't want them to replace the headliner for just that- It is some velcro that is not holding the piece in place when shade is opened. When it rattles I just have to push ever so slightly and the velcro sticks again - hopefully there is a solution like a dab of glue or something-

I did make the mistake of buying the creme colored interior which the service tech managed to get grease/dirt on every single cloth/ leather surface in the vehicle including all seats, panels, both front door pillars, both visors. carpeting(which I had covered with rubber mats) and steering wheel. The new headliner was also covered with black fingerprints from the install as well. They had washed the exterior but "missed" the interior- I asked the service manager to come out and look inside- didn't even have to say a word before he said it would be detailed and returned in clean condition.

Vehicle is 6 months old with 13.5k on the odometer and it is a joy to drive. I had a choice of an 08 Edge w/ the black interior or the 07 MKX with the creme interior for a few $$ less per month. Felt a little guilty spending money on something w/ cooled seats but what a nice option it turned out to be. Also that vista roof is awesome- as long as I can afford it all my future vehicle will have to have a similar window on the roof.

I'm driving a Ford Fusion as a loaner right now- Not a bad car but it will be nice to get back into the MKX.

Tim

Old 01-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Stumpalump
Senior User
The light interior is way too light. The rest of the vehicle is good. As far as snow goes I live in Colorado. Mine is 2wd. It does good once you get used to the traction control and drive by wire. I just put my foot to the floor and the vehicle does the rest. No excessive spin or anything. The computer takes over when your foot is to the floor and when it starts moving along I just back off. To a bystander he would never know I had my foot all the way down. Nice job Ford!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:18 AM
glcat
New User
update

Originally Posted by glcat
I really love this vehicle. it is fast wonderful acceleration almost as fas as my 87 mustang gt. i am 6-2 280 lbs and this car is comfortable for me to drive. great vehicle
I now have 48,000 on my 2007 edge still running great. 09/09/2008

Battery terminal have corroded badly why don'ty know. Under low throtttle pressure get a feeling of transmission smoozing into overdrive will have that checked out. Th continental tires that came from the factorey are a short term tire for sure. Goodyears much better

Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 PM
rbsample
Senior User
MKX power transfer unit leak

deleted..double post

Last edited by rbsample; 12-06-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: double post