2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Cruise Contol Towing

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 PM
williamsplumbing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Contol Towing

OK, so I know that for all practicle purposes, towing in cruise control is somewhat of a no-no.......but........is there a way to tow in cc and not have the engine gain a thousand + rpm's when the grade is not at all steep.
I've a bad back and having to use the accelerator on a 400 mi round trip is a killer.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 PM
chuck s
Elder User
Towing in cruise control isn't a no-no. As long as the transmission isn't hunting for a gear all the time it's fine.

If you anticipate some of the hills with your right foot the transmission won't make those 1000 rpm jumps. I'm pulling a 5000 pound travel trailer and at 65 mph I'm running 1800 rpm in 6th. On grades the transmission will drop down to 5th and run about 2250 rpm. Hardly dramatic. But she'll run nearly 3000 rpm if she drops to 4th and the reason I give known steep hills a running start.

What speed you running with what weight trailer?

-- Chuck

Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 PM
williamsplumbing
Senior User
Cruise Control Towing

'Evening Chuck, I'm towing a 5500 pound travel trailer- I've been towing for awhile, so I dont try to carry any thing extra. Minimum food, six pack soda, so forth. Rarely water in the tanks........towing at about 60/65- we have a 55mph limit. Fairly flat land, it's just the over crossings........

Old 11-10-2008, 11:26 PM
rich93cw
Senior User
Towing in CC is just fine as mentioned above. I have a 6000# TT.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 AM
chuck s
Elder User
We travel across the western section of the PA Turnpike to visit our daughter at Gettysburg College several times a year. No scientific study, but the Expedition downshifts to 5th on the same grades with or without the trailer in tow. Rarely goes down to 4th other than on Sidling Hill and a couple other places where there's a truck lane. When I'm paying attention and see the truck lane ahead I'll get up more speed and usually avoid the shift to 4th.

The last trip we made was in our '08 Civic EX with the 5 speed automatic. Little critter dropped to 4th routinely thru the same sections and probably to 3d on Sidling Hill. No trailer, of course.

The 6-speed transmission is much more flexible in this respect than the former 4 speed. Folks with '06 and earlier will get very large rpm increases towing in the hills due to the wide gap between the gears. Fitting the F150 transmission to the Expedition sounds very good to me (another thread).

I sincerely hope Ford is able to keep the Expedition in production as we've found it to be a wonderful vehicle to handle our camper. I'm not anxious to have to drive a F150 so I can tow our trailer.

-- Chuck

Old 11-13-2008, 12:21 PM
williamsplumbing
Senior User
I sold my F150 Lariat to purchase the expedition and I'm not sad that I did it. But I sure notice some differences. Such as my F150 was a "hot rod" compared to the expedition. Then I realized that all the "stuff", Bar B Ques, Camp stoves, LP tanks, tools, etc.. I just dont want to throw in the new rig. Going to have to make some changes, such as a functional liner to protect the carpeting and upholstry. I need to find one that will cover all the way to the second seat area.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:20 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Protects the floor. There's a lip to contain liquids. Will roll up behind the third seat if you need to carry extra passengers.

-- Chuck

Old 11-14-2008, 09:12 AM
williamsplumbing
Senior User
thank you for the photos Chuck,
I'm in need of a liner that will cover the sides also. Or come up with away to cover (bag) some of the camping equipment I carry. One would think that most of the equipment wouldn't be needed in as much as I tow the travel trailer, how ever, when we vacation at lake Almanor, it's usually with a very large group that I cook for, hence a 3 burner camp chef stove, couple propane bottles etc....you can well imagine.
So I'd like to protect the entire rear of the vehicle. Should have stayed with the truck, eh!