Bronco II Ford Bronco II

towing bronco II behind truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:56 AM
millertym_1978
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question towing bronco II behind truck

looking for some info on using a tow bar for pulling my bronco II 4x4 to and from the deer lease? It is an automatic with a locked rear end. Is it even possible or do I need to keep using a trailer to haul it?
Thanks in advance,

Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I were going to do it that way I'd remove the drive shafts. This will reduce the wear and tear on the transmission and transfer case. If you don't want to go through all that hassle just drive it, or like you have been trailer it.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:42 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would trailer it. Especially with that locked rear end. Just play it safe!

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:38 PM
millertym_1978
New User
Thanks for the replies....

Old 11-10-2008, 03:51 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about t-cases but I have flat towed vehicles and read some on this. I don't think you posted enough info on your truck or what you want to do ta say for sure. I'll give you my take on this and let you decide for yourself.

First the whole issue with flat towing or towing with the engine off is oiling. Different tranny's and t-cases are "oiled" differently. Many need the engine and/or tranny to turn to oil parts. Many of you know this but just in case some don't I wanted to put this in. Now the 1350 t-case has a pump in the back 1/2 that pumps oil to the front bearing. I have flat towed and have known folks who have flat towed and the common way used was to put the tranny in park or gear so the tranny parts do not move. If they don't move they don't need oil. Then shift the t-case into neutral. Now this is not true with all vehicles but is the most common and the way I did it with my early Bronco's and my friends have done it with BII's. Even then I have seen it recomended that you stop every 200 miles(or less) and start the engine so you "oil" stuff.

Now there are draw backs with flat towing. One is it is almost impossible to back up for any real distance and if you turn too sharp I have seen the front tires on the flat towed vehicle go to reverse lock (turn as far as possible in the opposite direction). And I don't know of a way to use the brakes on the flat towed vehicle from the towed vehicle. There may be something though.

I would not worry about the rear locker. It should not be a problem. The problem I can see would be weather or not you have a manual shift t-case and manual front lock outs. How far you will be towing and if you will need to backup. If you have a manual shift t-case then this is much more possible. Just put the tranny in park and shift the t-case in neutral. If you have an electric shift t-case then you have no way to shift the t-case into neutral. You can still still do this but would need to remove driveshafts. The rear for sure. And the front if you have auto front lock outs. If you have manual front lock outs just unlock them and your good to go either way.

I hope this helps some and good luck.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:56 PM
millertym_1978
New User
I have automatic with manual locking hubs and manual shift transfer case. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flat towing it would be a sure way to toast that tranny. The fluid pump is driven by the input shaft, so what you flat tow, the fluid is not being pumped. This causes the output bearing to run dry, and accelerated wear on both the bearing and the seal.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear River
Flat towing it would be a sure way to toast that tranny. The fluid pump is driven by the input shaft, so what you flat tow, the fluid is not being pumped. This causes the output bearing to run dry, and accelerated wear on both the bearing and the seal.

But if the tranny is in park and does not move there is no problem. If the t-case is in neutral and only the back half moves and the t-case has a pump in the back half for oiling there is no problem. I have flat towed many vehicles. Std. and autos and have never toasted a tranny or t-case because of it.

With his set up I would put the tranny in park, the t-case in neutral, make sure the front lock outs were unlocked and would not have any problem flat towing. I know people who have done this for years and have never had a problem.

The problem seems to be when folks don't have the t-case or tranny shifted properly. If the t-case is in gear then it will turn the tranny and can toast the tranny.

But if I had a trailer with good trailer brakes I would prefer that over flat towing.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:23 PM
millertym_1978
New User
Thanks for all the input. My trailer got wrecked so I'm trying to make sure I can tow it without doing any damage to it until I can buy another trailer. Thank you all for the info...

Anyone have a good website for ordering tow bars?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend