Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Considering a Ford Edge - Comments/Gotchas??

Old 10-18-2008, 03:59 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering a Ford Edge - Comments/Gotchas??

Considering one. Anything I should know??

Everything I am finding on this vehicle sounds wonderful. A few complaints about fuel milage (mostly driver related I suspect) but nobody is complaing about anything mechanical. Even on this site where I've seen plently of complaining going on about other vehicles I'm not finding any complaints.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:33 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
They are great vehicles have driven a few of them and they ride and handle great. Have good power and for that big of vehicle you do get good fuel economy. My dad is a mechanic at a Ford Dealership and they have only seen 1 in with a problem.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 AM
bradcollison
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texan2004
Considering one. Anything I should know??

Everything I am finding on this vehicle sounds wonderful. A few complaints about fuel milage (mostly driver related I suspect) but nobody is complaing about anything mechanical. Even on this site where I've seen plently of complaining going on about other vehicles I'm not finding any complaints.

Any experiences would be appreciated.
We bought an '08 in early September.

It is a Limited AWD loaded with all the options!
We love this vehicle!!
We have about 3,500 miles on it now and took 2 long road trips back to back.

Very quiet and refined. You have to use your cruise control because the speed is so deceiving. Handles well until pushed past 8/10.

We got 23 MPG the first road trip driving 80MPH, and 24 MPG the second road trip driving about 75 MPH in hilly terrian. The EPA estimate is 22 MPG.

Driving around in mixed highway and city we are still seeing a little over 20 MPG.

Buy one!!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Spoke with a Ford tech down the street. He's only seen one in for anything repair related since they were introduced and that was the result of someone installing an aftermarket radio and splicing into a wire they should not have spliced into.

I'm having a difficult time believing something is this troublefree. I will probably head back to the stealer in the next day or two to see if they can locate an 08 equippeed they way we would like.

Any idea what we can expect for a discount??

Old 10-24-2008, 09:32 AM
scoug001
Freshman User
My mom's boyfriend has one. Mechanically seems great but I just hate the way they look. He hasn't had any problems with it that I know of. Its an 08. The color is supposed to be "amethystine". If you ask me, its purple. My sister and I joke him about his "purple minivan".

Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Silentst2000
Senior User
If I were in the market for a cross over, this vehicle would be on my short list. As a tech at a Ford dealer, I've only heard of one with a problem so far and it was an noise issue with the sun roof which a new unit fixed. Ford's quality is a hell of a lot better on these cars than the previous generation. I think they fired their bean counters.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
I took the plunge and bought an 08 Lincoln MKX. Wife was driving a Jag S-type so the Lincoln was more in line with that. Love it so far but it's only been 3 days. I've always bought a couple of years old with 20K miles so buying new was a bit uncharacteristic for me.

I've already started accessorizing. Bought a spare set of floor mats and the cargo area mat. Dealer wanted $200.00 for the Cargo mat and $90.00 for the floor mats at signing. They sell these itmes at their parts counter for $156.00 combined. How stupid did they think I was????? Another example of why dealers are called stealers.

List was over $44.3K. Paid 34.1K. I think I did OK.

Thank you for all of the comments/feeback. It helped with the decision.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Stumpalump
Senior User
I have an 08 with about 20 k miles on it. Mines a free company car given to me to beat.
I have to travel often so I spend as much or more time in different rental cars and SUV's of every flavor. The best thing on the road is the Ford Edge. You just can't beat the the way it runs. It just plain runs. Up hill it runs .Down hill it runs. In a hurry it runs, joyride is a joy. It's all in the engine and 6 speed tranny. It's allways in the right gear. Going down a mountain pass then it automatically downshifts at the perfect spot to keep you at speed. Want to hual azz and it's just a seemless transition of power and shifting you will swear it's a 10 speed auto. I dove mine from Denver through yellowstone and over to Billings montana and back in three days. I can drive it for 12 hours and not be tired. It's truly the best thing I ever drove. I don't like the drive by wire gas because if you feather or pump the gas the computer smooths things out but you get used to it. Don't get the light interior because it's just to light and gets dirty. Only mod it needs is a plastic or aluminum dryer duct from the airbox to the lower valenc. I sware the factory built the airbox for cheap 5 minute cold ram air right to the nice big factory air box. Pop off the factory snorkle and the duck zip ties right on. Find a place down low in the high pressure zone and your done.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:06 AM
wiingnut
Posting Guru
My wife and I have had an edge for almost 2 yrs, lease up in Feb. 09. Nicest vehicle we have ever owned, it has power, its quiet, handles well in all weather. 2 thumbs up!

Old 11-28-2008, 07:29 PM
AcidRayn
New User
we bought an 08 as a leftover in aug. its a limited, black with tan leather, 18" chrome with michelin's, vista roof, dual head rest dvd's, with the sync system. all we can say is, we got a great deal, list was 43,000, we got the car for 31,000.00. has all the bells and whistles, back up alarms, electric rear gate etc etc.
just over 5000 mi now, went to upstate ny, 80+ all the way, got 23mph avg.

wife loves it, very comfy and im 6'2" and 280 and fit well. o, and heated seats rock!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:18 PM
brooklyn born
Senior User
i also am considering an Edge. looked at one today however i will wait till next years model. i want the upcoming Hybrid model.

Search this Thread