new heater for wvo

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:04 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new heater for wvo

do you have loads of glycerol laying around? I found a way to use mine up. I made a oil heater out of some old furnace parts and a well pressure tank. I put the glycerol in the tank, pressurize the tank to about 25 psi, run the glycerol through copper lines to a furnace burner/blower motor to heat my wvo in a 100 gallon drum prior to bio processing. the stuff burns clean and hot, just getting it lit requires a small soldering torch due to the high flash point of the glycerol. this works great for dewatering your wvo..
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, you can burn glycerol, but be very,very careful!!!! Burning glycerol below about 1,200 deg F produces acrolein gas, which is HIGHLY TOXIC! One small sniff will cause you to have a very painful death. Please be careful............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrolein Acrolein gas is the same "mustard" gas used in WWI

Old 09-29-2008, 04:38 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Yes, you can burn glycerol, but be very,very careful!!!! Burning glycerol below about 1,200 deg F produces acrolein gas, which is HIGHLY TOXIC! One small sniff will cause you to have a very painful death. Please be careful............

Acrolein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Acrolein gas is the same "mustard" gas used in WWI

I read the link, HOLY ****E I'll go back to good ole electricity. thanks Fabman

Old 09-29-2008, 07:27 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Your welcome, just be safe! I've done quite a bit of experimenting with burning glycerol, and have a "Babington" burner that will burn it at about 1,600 deg F which is safe to use. It is temperamental tho so I quit using it.

I plan on doing more experimenting with it this winter to see if I can make it work more consistently.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
I guess the setup that I've got burns pretty hot because there's hardly any smoke but I don't want to take the chance. there is a guy up the road from me who sales his glycerol to a vinyl window company. he said they filter and clarify it somehow and boil it to submerge in and mold vinyl window frames.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Seems like you can use every thing out of the bio process. I was told it makes great soap, I really don't know to much other than it's fun making the stuff.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HOLY S--T!!!

Fabman, I just repped you on the OTHER (how to use glycerol) thread, so I can't do it again, and YOU MIGHT have just saved another member's life!!!

Jeezus Christ!!!

Whew.

I already told myself if I get around to procession biodiesel, it will be BY THE BOOK, and the only thing I'll do with byproducts is get rid of it!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Biodiesel production is so easy that quite a few people go into it without thinking much about safety, but we are using chemicals that can KILL you! Or burn your house down! If we as individuals are going to make biodiesel we must do it in a safe and responsible manner. Anything less just invites the Gov to ban, or restrict our "hobby". A couple of years ago a new commercial bio plant in Idaho blew up, and killed the owners son. I've talked with him, and he will never forgive himself for cutting corners. My plant, and the ones I've designed for others all use a "nitrogen-blanket" in all process tanks and eliminate any danger of explosion. This plant was built without this safety feature, and his son was welding on top of a 5,000 gallon biodiesel storage tank that was 3/4 full. The "head-space" in the tank was full of Methanol fumes, and exploded when the arc from the welder pierced the top. THIS PLANT WAS DESIGNED BY ENGINEERS! I've designed and REDESIGNED a lot of equipment over the years, and SAFETY has been THE #1 priority in every piece I've designed. So far I've never had, or been responsible for anybody being hurt or killed on any project I've worked on. Sorry for the long post, but safety is one thing I'm really **** about.............

Old 10-03-2008, 02:34 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Wait, so he was welding into or onto a large can of fuel? Doesn't sound to safe to me. Not to sound tough on the poor guy but doesn't seem very smart to me.