Illinois Chapter Join Chapter Leader: wpnaes

cat converter location question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
cat converter location question?

I am putting a new exhaust with headers on my 95 f150. can anyone tell me if in the state of Illinois,the catalytic converter has to be in the stock location,or does it just matter if it is in the system somewhere? I do not have to worry about inspections,but I am going to have to let a shop with a welder and bender run the exhaust,and they probably won't do it if I tell them to put the converter in a different location in the system. thanks!!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 AM
SHEFFBOY2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not sure if illinois has laws dictating where a catalytic converter can be in an exhaust system, but cats work better when they are fairly close to the manifolds, since they need heat to work best and hot gases flow better. not having inspections though is one of the only good things about illinois driving laws if you ask me. also, if you're spending money on having someone do your exhaust, might as well have them make the cats so that they can be removed, and have the exhaust guys make a straight pipe replacement...that way if you ever feel like hearing it rumble, it'll just be a few bolts and the change is done. but again, thats just what i'd do, or like to do haha