Glow Plug R&R Tip

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:19 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Thanks for the tip Robin.

Anyone else find it odd that the guys from Arizona and Texas are talking about glow plugs?
My elevation is 7000 ft where I live in AZ......I get tons of snow, and temps of -10* can happen on occasion Good glow plugs are a MUST, thankfully I haven't had to utilize my .09 cents worth of ZD-11's yet lol.....but they are in the toolbox collecting dust until needed!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by UP_There
My elevation is 7000 ft where I live in AZ......I get tons of snow, and temps of -10* can happen on occasion Good glow plugs are a MUST, thankfully I haven't had to utilize my .09 cents worth of ZD-11's yet lol.....but they are in the toolbox collecting dust until needed!
You mean you don't want to check the torque on the rocker pedastels and the injector hold downs, and put in the UVHC connector retainer clips. While doing that you can put in the GPs.

That's just what I paid, a penny a piece and a penny tax.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:55 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
It does sound a bit quieter. I also saw that the #8 injector is not an LL, but an AB like all the rest. No wonder it was so noisy before I did the CCK. Another thing I noticed was the #1 injector that the dealer replaced under warranty back in June 2002 is a reman, WTF. I didn't know enough back then to demand a new injector. That was about three weeks after buying it used from this same dealer. I took it in three times complaining about it running rough between 1200 and 1500 RPMS before they decided that there was a problem. Cracked injector cub at 46k ruined the injector. Fuel in the coolant is why they thought it was an injector cup. Been running great for the last 52k.

No noticeable SOTP performance difference.

none of the early birds came from the factory with a LL injector in #8 or the foil around the IC pipe... the early bird rattle is the reason the newer trucks got the LL injector and foil around the IC pipe...too many people complained about the loud moter and whistle...go figure..now a days we work hard to get the whistle..and the newer truck guy's try to replace the #8 LL injector...lol nice tip on the GP install...

Old 09-23-2008, 06:09 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
No heated seats, but I don't know what I'm missin', never had heated seats.
I never had them either, but ran across a guy on here with a 6.0 that was doing the install and thought that sounded like a good idea. I'll never go back now. Heated seats install

Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
You mean you don't want to check the torque on the rocker pedastels and the injector hold downs, and put in the UVHC connector retainer clips. While doing that you can put in the GPs.

That's just what I paid, a penny a piece and a penny tax.
I definitely need to do those things anyways.......minus the glow plugs lol. Ever since I switched to Rotella Syn oil, my truck doesn't even skip a beat starting up in 0* weather without even being plugged in!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:46 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
I definitely need to do those things anyways.......minus the glow plugs lol. Ever since I switched to Rotella Syn oil, my truck doesn't even skip a beat starting up in 0* weather without even being plugged in!
When using 15w/40 Rotella Dino if not plugged in for a couple of hours when temps were about 35° or lower my truck were get the romps. After switching to 5w/40 Rotella Syn it never romped again, even on the coldest morning, and not plugged in.

If you go under those valve covers to check torque and put in the retaining clips and don't replace the GPs your sanity will be in question.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:46 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
...and put in the UVHC connector retainer clips. While doing that you can put in the GPs.
Do you have the part number for the UVHC connector retainer clips?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Do you have the part number for the UVHC connector retainer clips?
Neal,

Ford Part # 2C3Z-14A163-AB

Got the part number from here. LINK

I was stocked when they had them in stock. Double shocked at price - $13.95 - But there are 3 in the package.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
When using 15w/40 Rotella Dino if not plugged in for a couple of hours when temps were about 35° or lower my truck were get the romps. After switching to 5w/40 Rotella Syn it never romped again, even on the coldest morning, and not plugged in.

If you go under those valve covers to check torque and put in the retaining clips and don't replace the GPs your sanity will be in question.
I think you need to come to Flagstaff and help me Robin.....my beer is COLD too!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
I think you need to come to Flagstaff and help me Robin.....my beer is COLD too!
Travis, I would be more then willing to hold your beer and give advice. Since I just did this I have all the tools we, I mean you, will need.

Send me a PM.

Edit: With that lift of yours we will need scaffolding.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
I'm sure all you'd do is HOLD the Beer too.......right Robin? We need to work something out! I have no torque wrenches whatsoever...and I know the rocker arms/pedastels have a certain lb. to be. Good thing the fine folks at FTE have already researched and done it for us eh?

Old 09-24-2008, 06:17 PM
xgatorx1976
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does sound a bit quieter. I also saw that the #8 injector is not an LL, but an AB like all the rest.
No noticeable SOTP performance difference.
What is better the LL or AB???
And why?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:41 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by xgatorx1976
What is better the LL or AB???
And why?
The LL (Long Lead - AE Code) was a Ford afterthought when customers complained about injector noise. #8 injector is at the dead end of the fuel rail and didn't get its share of fuel especially since it fired right after #6 which is right next to it. The lack of proper fueling caused it to cackle. The LL lessened the cackle by extending the tip of the injector further into the combustion chamber. This did nothing for the fueling issue but just lessened the noise. Ford was installing the LL upon customer complaints. There was a TSB concerning this issue. Ford then began installing the LL in #8 as stock. Aftermarket fuel return kits open up each dead end fuel rail, thus elimating most if not all the #8 fuel starvation. Since mine is an Early 99 with all AB's it means that the original owner never complained about the injector noise and therefore the #8 was not replaced with an LL. Which is better? Well, AB codes flow approx 130-135 cc and were only in the early 99s. 99.5 and up 7.3s came with an AD code that is 135-140 cc. (Someone correct me if I have this wrong). Of course there are many, many aftermarket choices. Do a search for "injectors" and you will be reading for a week.