Bowhunters Get Ready!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:26 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bowhunters Get Ready!!!

Y'all waking up early this Saturday?

There's a bunch of deer out there been thumbing their noses at us for about 8 months now.....Time for some payback!!!

Me and pops hunt at a place near Mount Pleasant. Got 5 out of there last year.......Planning on 8 this year. There's PLENTY!!! I swear...I don't know if it's something in the water, or if there ain't as many hunters....But the damned deer are EVERYWHERE!!!

Got a tower stand set up, and I got a nice, roomy ground blind (GroundMax---extra large) set up. Been laying out corn and apples for about a month now....The ground is TORE UP.....

I didn't hunt a whole lot last year.....But time to ante up. Got the Matthews dusted off and shot the hell out of a target today. Pops is lucky------He's got 'marginal' arthritis in the neck and shoulders, so the State gave him permission to use a crossbow (slacker!). Hell, he thwacked a couple of shots with the Matthews after I was done, and he looked like it wasn't much effort.

Whatever...He's the one who paid $1200 for the thing.....He uses it during gun season too.

Anyway...Post your plans here. How do you process them? I'll throw more out there later if people post here.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Buck I'll shoot off the front porch. My Elk I'll have to walk to the other side of the barn. Damn bull won't walk by the house!

The bull goes into steaks and roasts. The buck gets jerked. Scraps from both get mixed with pork, and beef, and get made into sumer sausage. Dam..... Now I'm hungry!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Hey, don...

We've got a nice little processing operation......

We'll can some in pint mason jars.....Parboil the chunks.....Put in the jars with minced garlic, salt, and a beef-bouillon cube (and water), and pressure-can them. They keep forever, and are great in stews or gravies......Mostly vac-seal the burger and freeze. The sausage (with 25% pork), the same....(GREAT for chili, or just sausage patties for breakfast)....A LITTLE jerky, but not a whole lot. We'll get at least one nice roast out of each deer, and of course, the breakfast steaks come from the tenderloin.

Between that and the fishing we do all year, hardly EVER have to buy meat......

Old 09-09-2008, 08:21 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
My Buck I'll shoot off the front porch. My Elk I'll have to walk to the other side of the barn. Damn bull won't walk by the house!
Ya going to moose hunt with Sarah Palin?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey North Carolina, Thought I'd chime in on your thread here as bow hunting in Mississippi has another month or so til it opens. All I wish I could do this year is kill these deer that keep eating up our garden.....they're gonna be healthy, they've eaten up all our black crowder peas and all the leaves off the okra. It's just kinda hard to shoot em in the middle of the night, as that's the only time they show up, got em on film, a doe and a couple of yearlings...sure would be tender....

Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
I don't hunt anymore, I give it up for the love of a woman

I'll be up bright and early saturday. I'll kill my fair share this year, I'm sure. I normaly have them processed into steaks, burger,jerky,suasage, and believe it or not some of the best damn hotdogs you've ever eaten..
I have a duck hunting trip to Canada coming up in October and a free whitetail hunt in Alabama in January so "short answer" I'm STOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
I've got my 'date-book' all filled up.......Hunting in the Fall and early Winter---with several time periods interrupted by Fall spot and speckled trout fishing........Trout fishing in the Spring......Surf fishing in the Spring and Summer......and again in the Fall (like my 17 to 27 Oct trip to Portsmouth).......

I COULD expand the hunting a little by squirrell and rabbit hunting in January....and Turkey hunting in March/April......But then I wouldn't have time to work!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BarryMc
Hey North Carolina, Thought I'd chime in on your thread here as bow hunting in Mississippi has another month or so til it opens. All I wish I could do this year is kill these deer that keep eating up our garden.....they're gonna be healthy, they've eaten up all our black crowder peas and all the leaves off the okra. It's just kinda hard to shoot em in the middle of the night, as that's the only time they show up, got em on film, a doe and a couple of yearlings...sure would be tender....
Funny you mentioned 'ravaged' gardens, Barry.

My Dad's got a 2 acre spread, and grows a large garden every year. Has a nice 4-foot fence on the back....and there's about 50 acres back there. Well, THIS year the deer started coming...does and bucks...(I guess the fawns can't jump yet)....They DESTROYED his tomatos, pole beans, beet greens, etc. (left the peppers alone---haha).....He was remarkably affable about it....Just said "Well...They gotta eat too" (I guess the fact that I bring bagloads of maters and eggplant to him eases the pain). Anyway, he's got a stand set up back there, ready to go.....and he's gonna nail a couple of them this year.....HE wants at least 8....so he'll have to get an 'overload' permit to pull some more does.....I'll get a least a couple, so we should have venison most of the year.

Cycle of life, man. They ate the garden; we'll eat them....

Oh. p.s. They come out right in the daylight too. Early evening they show up mostly.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:48 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MAKO314
I don't hunt anymore, I give it up for the love of a woman

I'll be up bright and early saturday. I'll kill my fair share this year, I'm sure. I normaly have them processed into steaks, burger,jerky,suasage, and believe it or not some of the best damn hotdogs you've ever eaten..
I have a duck hunting trip to Canada coming up in October and a free whitetail hunt in Alabama in January so "short answer" I'm STOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ashley Need another freezer?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Anyone going to put Bambi in my freezer?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:46 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
I just got a new Mathews DXT bow and I'm itching to shoot something other than foam. BTW NC is doing away with bow season next year they're picking up the SC Idea full on gun assualt starting on september 13 next year. you all have the fine insurance companies to thank for this, thanks state farm!!!!!! I'd rather let them have it at 200 yrds vs throwing sticks at them at 30yrds. if I had known about the law change I would not have bought the new bow, so I'll have a damn nice bow forsale in november

Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
I just got a new Mathews DXT bow and I'm itching to shoot something other than foam. BTW NC is doing away with bow season next year they're picking up the SC Idea full on gun assualt starting on september 13 next year. you all have the fine insurance companies to thank for this, thanks state farm!!!!!! I'd rather let them have it at 200 yrds vs throwing sticks at them at 30yrds. if I had known about the law change I would not have bought the new bow, so I'll have a damn nice bow forsale in november
I'll give you .50 cents for it since it will be used.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
that aint funny Cliff, you should get a crossbow it would be legal for you.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:01 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
that aint funny Cliff, you should get a crossbow it would be legal for you.
Why I can't legally hunt and we are getting out of this hell hole

Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
get you a place with a couple hundred acres and let me come hunt..

Quick Reply: Bowhunters Get Ready!!!