screwed the pooch

Old 08-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
screwed the pooch

Well I think I screwed the pooch on this one!!!
My neighbor asked if I wanted some oil from the lodge he belongs to. He said the guy that was picking it up hasn't been around and the containers are getting in the way.
I said sure bring it over, when I returned home there was 50 gallons of oil sitting in the jugs behind my garage. I poured them through my strainer into a 55gal. drum. I then pumped it into my cooker heated it up and titrated it.
5.8 was the titration. I was like holy crap!!! is this stuff bad, but I figured I give it a shot. I had some NAOH lying around that I dont use any more so what the heck.
Well 1636 grams a 1 1/2 hr cook and 24 hrs of settling later it still looks like tar!!!
What do you guys think I should with it, I think I already know the answer.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gun-Driver
Well I think I screwed the pooch on this one!!!
My neighbor asked if I wanted some oil from the lodge he belongs to. He said the guy that was picking it up hasn't been around and the containers are getting in the way.
I said sure bring it over, when I returned home there was 50 gallons of oil sitting in the jugs behind my garage. I poured them through my strainer into a 55gal. drum. I then pumped it into my cooker heated it up and titrated it.
5.8 was the titration. I was like holy crap!!! is this stuff bad, but I figured I give it a shot. I had some NAOH lying around that I dont use any more so what the heck.
Well 1636 grams a 1 1/2 hr cook and 24 hrs of settling later it still looks like tar!!!
What do you guys think I should with it, I think I already know the answer.
50 gallons = 200 liters + - (close enough) +5.5 Base + 5.8 Titration = 2260 grams NaOH. Not 1633 grams.

Not enough catylist for the excess FFAs. Just reprocess with about 700 grams and a couple of gallons of Methanol.

You did use 10 gallons of Methanol, right???

Old 08-16-2008, 06:35 AM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
Sorry Fabman I didn't specify that I only cooked 40 gallons of the 50. I use the calculator on Biodiesel Recipe Calculator - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial

Old 08-16-2008, 11:39 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
question... Did you check to see and make sure that the oil didn't have any water in it? That would definitely cause you problems even if only a small amount of water was in the mix.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
No I didn't check it for water content. I don't think that was the problem, I think it was just really over used oil. ( I will check it for water when I get back in town)
My regular supply always titrates at 1.7, I've never got oil that titrates this high.
Has anyone ever used oil that titrates this high.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gun-Driver
No I didn't check it for water content. I don't think that was the problem, I think it was just really over used oil. ( I will check it for water when I get back in town)
My regular supply always titrates at 1.7, I've never got oil that titrates this high.
Has anyone ever used oil that titrates this high.
My oil supply now titrates between 8 & 9 since that I supplied my own collection drum. It use to titrate near 15

I'm new to this and so is my 40 gallon water heater processor. So far I hadnt had any issue with the oil, my problem is more so with the emulsion because I also settle in my processor and it doesnt drain clean. Oh, and the fact that I once got in a big hurry and didnt fully disolve the NaOh before introduction, I think thats what gave me jelly

Just curious to what type of processor you use?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
I use a 80 gal hot water tank, but I settle and wash in other 55 gal drums. I also use magnesol to wash with. I pump off the top of the glycerol instead of draining through it to ensure that I dont get any glycerol in with my final product.
I think you will get much better results if you only cook in the hot water tank and do everything else in other drums.
I'm trying to research oil titrations. I thought I read somewhere that oil over a certain titration is unuseable, but havent found it yet. All I know is the oil I titrated at 5.8 still looks like crap!!!