Magnesol/Engine Wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Magnesol/Engine Wear

I guess this is a question for someone who really knows diesel engines, or perhaps a beware statement. I just got my engine oil analysis back from Blackstone and my lead reading (indicating bearing wear) went from 3 to 4 ppm for three previous tests to 19ppm. Blackstone indicated that the high lead could be temporary and caused by a particle streaking a bearing.

The 19 ppm test came after using Magnesol to drywash and filtering it through a 1 micron absolute filter on the way to my truck's tranfer tank. Then it goes through a micron nominal filter on the way to my truck fuel tank. The only other variable is that I used a K&N oil filter instead of my usual Napa Gold. I don't trust K&N products after reading this forum. But one of two things happened or a combination;

1: The K&N filter let me down and a particle/particles of debris streaked my
bearings.
2: The Magnesol is somehow getting into my oil.

All of the other oil test parameters besides the lead for this test were in line with the previous 3 tests. Only the lead was significantly higher.

So, the questions are: Can particles 1 micron and smaller hurt an engine and would it wind up in the oil in particle sizes large enough to affect the bearings considering it was filtered so fine (remember, 1 micron is bacteria sized) and it went through combustion? If it were the Magnesol, would it not show increased wear in other areas also? Is bearing streaking something that probably happens to a lot of engines and we just don't know it without engine analysis?

And, if particles in fuel filtered to 1 micron can damage an engine, why is Caterpillar leading the industry in using a fuel filter that is 2 microns?