Y Block 292 fuel injection conversion

Old 08-10-2008, 07:48 AM
AussieDrew
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Y Block 292 fuel injection conversion

Is this possible? Is it feasible? Is it a good idea? I have a 292 (pick up version with smaller carb.) in my speed boat. I need to lower the profile of the engine. Currently the carb. can not support an air filter because there is not enough clearance between the top of the carb and the underside of the decking. The air passes through the air vent in the top of the decking and straight into the unprotected carb. My idea is to include fuel injection to give better performance and to reduce the overall height to allow the air filter to be fitted (without the carb. in the way) and still have enough clearance to close the boat's decking. What do people think? Any thoughts about cost? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 08-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Joe Johnston
New User
Some guys have done it - I haven't read much about it on other forums but it is a bit involved. To solve your problem of clearance to the decking, which is common in boats, a side draft manifold (I think with dual carbs) is popular to use in boats. They are frequently found on the large online auction site. Good luck and if you come up with a fuel injection set up, I'm sure others here will be interested! J

Old 08-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Joe Johnston
New User
I re-read your post and wondered if it would be possible to fabricate a filter in your deck air vent? A filter wouldn't be on the carb, but filtered air would be getting into the engine. The air drawn into a boat engine is much cleaner than the dust from the hwy for a car and a less efficient filter would still be quite effective for you. J

Old 08-10-2008, 10:58 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AussieDrew
Is this possible? Is it feasible? Is it a good idea? I have a 292 (pick up version with smaller carb.) in my speed boat. I need to lower the profile of the engine. Currently the carb. can not support an air filter because there is not enough clearance between the top of the carb and the underside of the decking. The air passes through the air vent in the top of the decking and straight into the unprotected carb. My idea is to include fuel injection to give better performance and to reduce the overall height to allow the air filter to be fitted (without the carb. in the way) and still have enough clearance to close the boat's decking. What do people think? Any thoughts about cost? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
The fuel injection has been talked about here and elsewhere, but I dont recall anyone getting it set up. A lot of us ol skool guys like to keep it simple. Joes idea sounds good. Seems like I saw an aftermarket lower than usual airfilter advertised on Speedway or Summit recently. What kind of carb do you have that would be smaller than found on a 292 truck? They are pretty small themselves.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:05 AM
AussieDrew
New User
Reply to Joe & 46yblock

To Joe: Yes the air is cleaner, this used to be the logic behind not bothering with an air filter. The more important reason for the filter is to trap flash back that can cause a boat to blow up in a concealed, in board housing. Your side draught manifold suggestion seems a good idea. Which one is the large, online auction site you referred to? (From my reply to 46yblock, below, you can see I'm in Aust and at times find it difficult to follow some of the US sayings + I'm fairly new to this.

To 46yblock: From here, in Australia, I'm finding it difficult to find out much about the engine, the carburetor or other parts. These engines where imported into Australia from Canada in the late 50's - early 60's to be used in boats. The cars and trucks of the day were not very common in Aust. because Aust was starting to take to her own, Aust made versions of Ford. This makes getting info difficult, for example I can not get a workshop manual and getting some parts can be a problem. I have been told the pick up truck version of the 292 was used because it is a heavier engine that is more suitable for the torque that needs to be delivered when pulling skiers out of the water. I'm interested in the side draught manifold but what are 'Speedway' and 'Summit' ?

I would be grateful for any information and advice you can give me about my engine. I can not attach a photo but I’m trying to do as much research as possible about what to do and the way forward, with the engine before restoring it as well as the boat to their former glory. Would you mind if I emailed you a photo of the y block to base further discussion on? Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Joe Johnston
New User
Sorry about the communication gaps. Speedway and Summit are performance parts suppliers, both online and catalog. They are mostly providers of parts for current production vehicles but may have Y-Block parts. Y-Block suppliers are Dennis Carpenter and Mummerts. Their homepages show up here, when you do a google search for them. The online auction site I mentioned is E-Bay. Shipping from the States to your location may be an issue for heavy parts like manifolds. I'm quite positive the side draft manifold was for marine applications. Good Luck in your project. J

Old 08-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Joe Johnston
New User
check out this link

timmy's Y Block Page: Intake

scroll down to the Interceptor manifold. Should work for you. J

Old 08-11-2008, 05:43 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Summit: Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030 , deals in aftermarket parts for later models. But I think I saw they had an air filter that was recessed kind of folding down a little over the carb, for maybe 1.5 inch above carb height.
Believe it or not there are a fair number of Y-block enthusiasts in Australia. I sent some motorparts to a bloke in Melbourne this morning. An Australian company currently is making the best timing chain and gear set ever available for the 272/292/312s, and many of us have one.
Joe referenced ebay. It is the best place to find motor parts that are a little less expensive. You just need to be careful, know the value of what you are bidding on. A lot of times a seller of an auction item will not offer to ship out of the US, but then many are more than willing to ship overseas. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices . Mummert's site: FORD Y .

The 292 truck vs car engines are basically the same. The differences in the later motors, 60-62-64 were mostly in the heads, with trucks having slightly lower Comp Ratio. From 1956to 1964, car or truck, excepting HeavyDuty 292s, crank, rods, heads, valves, cams, bearings, pistons, rings, oil pumps, water pumps, springs, lifters, all interchange.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
One more thing, after going to Mummert's site, research block ID and head ID. Then check you engine to see what is there.
The late truck 292s came with a 2V Autolite carburetor, with small 1.02 venturi. Flow is 248 cfm I think. You sure wouldnt want to go smaller than that.

Here is a marine 292/312 intake with side draft carbs currently on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Y-Blo...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-13-2008, 09:40 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
I have installed TBI fuel injection on my Y block. Didnt like it all that much, probably because I never got it fully tuned. Currently trying to figure out port injection on these stacked runners....

Holley makes an air cleaner that is very low profile. P#120–148. Summit has them. See if that would fit.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:40 AM
AussieDrew
New User
Y Block 292 fuel injection conversion + ? for kens64

OK, I take the points raised for sticking with carbs and a lower profile manifold + air filter, but I have not yet ruled out the fuel injection option. The main problem is fitting the injectors into the manifold.

I'm yet to take it off but I've been told the inlet ports are under and over each other and therefore would make fitting injectors difficult or impossible. WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK? Is this what kens64 means by 'stacked runners'? Sorry to sound thick but I'm not from USA and sometimes can't follow the American terminology.

Can anyone point me to an engineering drawing, on the net, of the inlet port configuration.

As always, thank you to everyone for their help and considered opinions. I'm currently concentrating on the body but am trying to use the 'down time' to work out exactly what I want to do with the engine. One thing I do know is that I will definitely be sticking with it, the more I learn about it the more I appreciate its potential.

Tx, Drew

Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Aussie Drew,

You may want to try on the "other" site as there is a few guy from Australia that chime in. Maybe they can help you locate the parts you are looking for closer to home. Just a thought... Y-Blocks Forever http://www.y-blocksforever.com

Y-Blockhead

Old 08-24-2008, 11:09 AM
kens64
Posting Guru
Yeah by stacked runners, I mean that the intake ports are on top of each other, not side by side like most engines. If they were side by side it would be MUCH easier to retrofit a port injection system onto.

Im close to trying a homebuilt manifold with a common plenum that the injectors spray into, rather than putting an injector into each port.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:29 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,582 Likes on 1,291 Posts
Port EFI for the stacked port Y-Block:

Probably have to fab a manifold to do this, but think about putting the injectors in the sides of the runners. Probably one in front, one in back.

Makes a bit of a plumbing issue.

I say fab the manifold as some of the intakes in the pics show square tube runners, which would be easier to work with than the rounded castings of stock or other cast manifolds.

If this works, please contact me so I can patent this idea and collect a royalty. If it totally sucks and you lose your ****, well, nobody told you take info off the internet....
Good luck to you.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:30 AM
TxF100
Senior User
The Jeep I6 and the Ford Y-Block are similar in their carburetion needs. A common swap in both is the Motorcraft 2100 w/1.18 venturi. It is also pretty common to install fuel injection on Jeeps I6s as a replacement for the terrible carter carbs they have.

If you search the internet (jeep fuel injection) you will find that using a GM throttle body is good way to go for TBI on Jeep. This can be accomplished by gathering Junkyard parts or by buying a kit from one of the many suppliers like Howell. I have kicked the idea of doing this to my 272

Howell Engine Developments Inc. - Universal V-8 Throttle Body Kit

Or

Howell Engine Developments Inc. - 4.2L CJ Kit (offroad) 1972-80

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Y Block 292 fuel injection conversion