Camping Trip To The U.P.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:27 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Camping Trip To The U.P.

Hi Everybody,
Just thought I'd let you know my family and I enjoyed a wonderful trip up to Munising this past week. This was the first time we had visited michigan, and it won't be the last! On our way up, we spent the night at a KOA in *******, Mi, and the next morning we went on up, across the Mackinac Bridge, (that was beautiful), and then west on U.S. 2, north on 77, then west on 28 to Munising. We stayed at the Wandering Wheel campground. Nice place to stay. We did the painted rocks tour out of Munising Bay, as well as some hiking to some of the local waterfalls. We didn't spend enough time up there. There was much more I would have liked to have done, such as a fishing cruise.
Anyhow, we left Munising and went up to Whitefish Point. We got there late, so all we did was go through the Shipwreck Museum. That was very interesting, as well as we enjoyed the beach for a short time while we were there. We didn't have time to see the falls that are up there, nor did we go see the locks at Sault Ste Marie. So, with all the stuff we missed, we know how to plan our next trip.
Two surprises we ran into were the mosquitoes and Munising, and the flies at Whitefish Point. I will take a shotgun next time for the mosquitoes. Nothing worked 100% at keeping them off of you. I thought about using diesel fuel or WD-40. That won't keep me from going back though. I will say, get the strongest bug repellant you can get. I guess the harsh climate up there makes the bugs, and everything else, a little tougher.
We did see a bald eagle while hiking, that was neat. No moose or bear, but a porcupine waddling along the road while driving.
Like I said, we enjoyed ourselves, and we look forward to doing it again sometime soon. Take care, John

Old 07-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
hahah, we got elk as well i do belive.

Mosquitto is our state bird.

Some good Deet will take care of them.
Better off to make an early fall, or late summer trip to michigan when the flies are mostly gone.
Lots of stuff to see here, just no economy.

If you were in *******, you drove right past me.
We are spread out all over the place.

There are lighthouse tours, and more locks then there, there are also locks in cheyboygan. (mightaspelledthatwrong)
oh man, really just to much to list for michigan.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:04 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Hey John! Thanks for sharing the highlights of your trip with us. I'll be going to the UP in August. The wife's family is there and we go almost every year to visit.

Munising is one of our favorites. Last year we took the Pictured Rocks boat tour. This year I think we are going to check out Grand Marais. I didn't know about the shipwreck museum at Whitefish point! Have to check that out too.

Did you know you can camp out on Grand Isle too? There is a ferry that goes out there several times a day. A lot of people take their bikes with them.

Did you eat any pasties while you were there? Every year we go, we make it a point to seek out and sample every pastie shop we can find!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
The only bummer about the pastie shops is that they just are not as good as grandma's.

The real deal can never be reproduced. The love is just not there. =(

Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
We got some pasties, I was hoping it would be something that,,, well,,, we would need the kids to disappear for a while to um,,,enjoy them. Shucks! They were good anyway! You guys must also be the jerky capital of the world too. Brought a bunch of that stuff back too.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
We even have Ted Nugent brand beef Jerky. hahaha.
'Billtong!

Its not that great from what i hear. but i make my own out of deer meat. =)

Old 07-21-2008, 07:19 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
The only bummer about the pastie shops is that they just are not as good as grandma's.

The real deal can never be reproduced. The love is just not there. =(
Guess that depends on who your grandma is! I never liked my MIL's pasties and didn't see what the big deal was. Wasn't until my wife started making pasties from a different recipe than her mom's that I became hooked on pasties! Now I think the wife's are the best. But like a true gourmet, I try them wherever I find them. We have tried and ranked all the shops from Ironwood to Munising. Of course we disagree on which is best so we just have to go back and try them again!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
I'd tell ya that i would fix ya up with my grandma's. but she just doens't cook like she used to, she's gettin a bit old. =\
So, they get burnt sometimes, but i dont mind.

Pasties are great meal.
I'd love to give you some history on it, but I'ma fudge it up.

It was basically a miner meal, or a lumberjack meal. yada yada.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:36 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Stopped at 2 places fpr jerky. One was a gas station claiming to have the 2nd largest jerky selection, and the other one advertised on their bilboard that they "weren't a gas station". Jerky at that place was in wooden barrels, you bought it bulk. That one was the best, in my opinion.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:54 PM
yooperbill
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your trip to our little bit of heaven up here.