New guy in town

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:10 PM
onetonnine
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy in town

What's shaken everyone,

I was doing a little search for some parts for a '60 F100 and ran across this site. I've got to say that I like it and think I will stick around for a while.

Anyway, I am a EB guy at heart. I have a '74 that is apart more than it seems to be on the trail. Right now I'm in the middle of an axle swap/suspension upgrade. Then there is the '60 F100 project that my dad and I are working on. Hopefully both will be up on the road in the near future.

Enough about me, glad to be here.

Todd

Old 07-14-2008, 02:52 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome Todd!

Glad to hear that you found us, hope we can help you get those trucks back on the road/trial...

incase you have not yet joined the So Cal group (i take it you live here in So Cal) click on the *Here* in my signiture....SteveBricks is our fearless leader and he can get you set up!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for showing the interest and welcome to the chapter, Todd. I think you have the only Bronco of that vintage in our little group - at least that I know of.

What kind of suspension upgrades and axle swap are you doing?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
onetonnine
New User
For axles I am using a '79 king pin Dana 60 in the front and in the rear I used a 9" center section but put 3/8 wall DOM tubes with corporate 14 spindles in it. So I basically have a 35 spline full floating 9". For the rear third member I am running a Strange set up with a spool but I think I am going to change it out for a Tru-hi9 in the not to distant future.

On the suspension side of things I pulled out the stock stuff and built a 3 link with coil overs up front and the rear is Deaver leaf springs for now. I need to get it back on the trail for this season and next summer I will link the rear and stretch the wheel base a little more.

I just got my hands on a NP435 so I may do a trans swap while I'm in there. I just don't think that the c4 is going to give me enough depth in the ratio department. But we will see. My projects alway seem to snow ball out of control.

Todd

Old 07-14-2008, 09:22 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Bullet proofing, eh?

Sounds like a real nice build - that'll handle some good sized tires without any worries.

Where do you usually wheel?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM
onetonnine
New User
I hope so. I am running 39's at the moment but have plans to upgrade to 42's or 44's as soon as the budget will allow.

I usually end up out in Johnson Valley. The family has a little cabin out that way. It makes a good base camp for the Hammers. Calico and Big Bear are good spots too.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
I guess you know about the planned expansion of the Twentynine-Palms Marine base then.

Theres some info on it in here: Friends of Giant Rock | Help Us. Help You. To Keep Riding.

"The Hammers" are within the area they are proposing to take over.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:26 AM
verumlike
Elder User
BOOOOOO....im trolling

Old 07-15-2008, 10:05 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by onetonnine
I hope so. I am running 39's at the moment but have plans to upgrade to 42's or 44's as soon as the budget will allow.

I usually end up out in Johnson Valley. The family has a little cabin out that way. It makes a good base camp for the Hammers. Calico and Big Bear are good spots too.
man i think we would get along good! me and my jeep buddies go out to Calico and Big Bear quit often....we are trying to get a trip to Johnson Valley together becaue we have never been out there....

Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
onetonnine
New User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
I guess you know about the planned expansion of the Twentynine-Palms Marine base then.

Theres some info on it in here: Friends of Giant Rock | Help Us. Help You. To Keep Riding.

"The Hammers" are within the area they are proposing to take over.
Yeah, I had heard a little about the planned take over. I hope that it all works out for the better.

Thanks for the link. I have a couple of buddies that live in Yucca, I will let them know about the meeting.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 AM
onetonnine
New User
Originally Posted by BradyCouchman
man i think we would get along good! me and my jeep buddies go out to Calico and Big Bear quit often....we are trying to get a trip to Johnson Valley together becaue we have never been out there....
When I get my rig back on the trail we will have to hook up. I am hoping to get a couple of Big Bear runs in this season.

A couple of good trails to start with in Johnson Valley are Claw Hammer and Aftershock. You can also do the bottom of Jack Hammer because there is a turn out a 100 yds or so up before you actually get into the canyon.

How do you have your rig set up?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:49 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
i dont i am my buddies spoter more so then anything, he has a 99 TJ with Dana 44 rubicon front and rear with air lockers and a mild lift and 33s, its ok but he can really drive it good...

Old 07-15-2008, 12:03 PM
onetonnine
New User
Originally Posted by BradyCouchman
i dont i am my buddies spoter more so then anything, he has a 99 TJ with Dana 44 rubicon front and rear with air lockers and a mild lift and 33s, its ok but he can really drive it good...
Wow, you guys are going to get a work out with 33's. The holes on most of the trails are getting pretty deep. I was originally running 35's and was dragging diffs everywhere I went. I have seen a lot of the OG Jeep guys out there running 33's but the sheet metal has suffered for it.

There is a lot of other cool stuff out there to play on too.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
we are way past the point where we mid some body damage the other TJ we go out with is on 35s but there is a XJ that is open open with a 35 and a 44 on 33s and i still dont know how he get past some stuff...but we like to test our rigs to the limit!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:14 PM
onetonnine
New User
You guys will have a great time then. Hopefully I will be able to tag along.

Quick Reply: New guy in town