blower motor resistor

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 05:48 PM
dfiske
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blower motor resistor

I know this has been covered about a thousand times before but I can't seem to understand where the resistor is. My blower only works on the high position and I've read where it's the blower motor resistor but I can't seem to find the resistor. I'm slow so type slow so I understand! :P
Thanks guys.........

Old 10-29-2002, 06:31 PM
kioolt
Senior User
blower motor resistor

T h e b l o w e r motor resistor is located under the hood on some vehichles and inside the passenger compartment on other vehicles. No matter which location it is it will always be in the air flow of the blower itself (the blower will blow air over it). It will have four wires on it and if I remember correctly is mounted with two screws.

Old 10-29-2002, 06:34 PM
dfiske
New User
blower motor resistor

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow in the daylight. I have a 96 f150 sc 4x4 with the 5.8liter. I really appreciate it.........

Old 12-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
blower motor resistor

Look under the hood, generally the wiring for the Blower resistor is attached to the wiring to the blower motor itself.

Old 12-03-2002, 09:56 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
blower motor resistor

It's inboard & below the motor, near the accumulator. You can see it standing beside the passenger fender. You can almost see it in pic #41 ('93 5.8L right.JPG) in this album, but it's the off-white connector behind the L heater hose above the vacuum reservoir & the white WARNING sticker:
http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=66912

Old 12-05-2002, 07:53 PM
mathelm
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blower motor resistor

And it's called a "reostat"

Old 12-05-2002, 08:00 PM
kioolt
Senior User
blower motor resistor

I'm going to have to disagree with it being a rheostat. A rheostat is an adjustable resistor. The heater blower resistor is a multi tap resistor.

Old 12-05-2002, 09:18 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
blower motor resistor

Right. A rheostat is a wound variable resistor, where most other potentiometers use a continuous film of resistance material. The heater resistor is actually a pack of 3 high-current resistors (in the form of coils of resistor wire) and a thermal fuse.

Old 12-13-2002, 09:50 PM
mathelm
Senior User
blower motor resistor

OK, what it "realy" is, is a "SPEED CONTROL". But for all practical pusposes, its a "REOSTAT". I personaly had rather refer to it as "that heater thingamagig".

Old 12-13-2002, 11:31 PM
nitro94
Posting Guru
blower motor resistor

RESISTOR- A devise used in an electric circuit to producd work or to lower the voltage in a circuit. RHEOSTAT- A resistor for regulating a current by means of variable resistances. Sometimes called a potentiometer or "POT."

Old 12-15-2002, 08:46 AM
mathelm
Senior User
blower motor resistor

Webster don't work in a garage. There they call engines "motors" and they call a blower motor speed control a "reostat"...

"Don't listen to what I say, Listen to what I mean"

Old 12-15-2002, 08:54 AM
kioolt
Senior User
blower motor resistor

I don't work for Webster. I have been repairing, installing, and troubleshooting electric and electronic circuits for about 30 years. The blower motor resistor is NOT a rHeostat. A rHeostat is a variable resistor. The blower motor resistor has fixed taps on it that give stepped blower control. The resistor itself is not the controlling device. The controlling device is the **** on the dash.

Old 12-15-2002, 09:08 AM
mathelm
Senior User
blower motor resistor

Your not at all **** either are ya. If I told you I needed a "reostat" for my car would I get 30min lecture on resistor component theory?

Don't correct my engish, spelling or terminolgy. If I'm talkin to you, and you don't understand me, feel free to ask. If you want to teach electronics, do it in a classroom. With you guys around, who needs heat.

Old 12-15-2002, 12:25 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
blower motor resistor

A) If you told him you needed a "reostat", he'd probably give you a "rheostat" for the dash light dimmer inside the headlight switch since he knows what a rheostat is.
B) If you were in a technical forum and used the wrong term, yes, you would be corrected. If you want to spread disinformation without being corrected, start your own website called "Mye_oppinyuns_abut_ evverting.com" and say whatever you want using whatever spelling you think is right. This BBS is here to help people by giving them correct information, including terminology, and the language most often used here seems to be English, whose words already have spellings so there's no need to add confusion by creating your own spelling for words that already exist. Wenn du Deutsch schreiben moechtest, koennten wir uns auch unterhalten, aber bitte, keine Vertippungen.
C) It appears he DID understand you, but the next person to read this thread might not if you use the wrong terms, spell them wrong, or use another language.
D) This forum IS a good place to teach electronics as they relate to Ford 12V HVAC. That's why it exists.
E) It takes 2 to tango, and you're continuing to use terms you know are wrong just as much as he is (& I am) continuing to correct you, so you're generating just as much "heat" as we are.

Old 12-15-2002, 01:50 PM
kioolt
Senior User
blower motor resistor

Thank you Steve.

Quick Reply: blower motor resistor