Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a guy at work is running this recipe

10 gallons used vegetableoil
1 gallon of Kerosene
½ gallon of regular gasoline
1.5 oz of STA-BIL fuel stabilizer
7 oz of Diesel Klean with cetane boost

a guy at work is running this in a benz. and has ran 2 tanks. anyone else try or are running this blend? what are your results or opinions? i told him i'll let him do the experimenting and see how it goes. He's running this thru his tank like normal diesel fuel. thanks for any input.[/FONT]

Old 06-25-2008, 10:05 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hytekredneck
10 gallons used vegetableoil
1 gallon of Kerosene
½ gallon of regular gasoline
1.5 oz of STA-BIL fuel stabilizer
7 oz of Diesel Klean with cetane boost

a guy at work is running this in a benz. and has ran 2 tanks. anyone else try or are running this blend? what are your results or opinions? i told him i'll let him do the experimenting and see how it goes. He's running this thru his tank like normal diesel fuel. thanks for any input.[/font]
LOL! Here I am all concerned about running 40% or 60% NEW veg oil mixed with diesel in my MB without any heaters on the fuel system!

He's running around 86% used veg oil, 9% kerosene, 4% gasoline and 1% addatives. Thats a pretty exotic blend he's come up with. Where'd he get those proportions?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:29 PM
aaronsteinblock
New User
Sounds alot like Diesel Secret to me!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:50 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronsteinblock
Sounds alot like Diesel Secret to me!
funny, I was thinking the same thing. All he is missing is mothballs .

I am no expert. But i make bioD and round my measurements up in imperial. So far, my BD has passed wash tests and 3/27 tests without a problem.

Have him take some of that stuff and mix it 50/50 with water, in a bottle, and shake it up. then let it set for a while and see what it looks like .

Old 06-26-2008, 12:23 AM
hytekredneck
Freshman User
I think he got it from something called biofuel basics

Old 06-26-2008, 12:33 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
I think he got it from something called biofuel basics
Isn't that the new website that Diesel Secret just started up - now that the Diesel Secret name/product is so well known as a scam...

Old 06-26-2008, 12:45 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
yes, i saw that too.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:45 AM
hytekredneck
Freshman User
so this is the same mix that diesel secrets uses huh? i'll let him know but i would be curious how long he can run it on fuel like that. i've seen the post on here about deisel secrets but never seen a fuel mix posted on it.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
so this is the same mix that diesel secrets uses huh?
Yeah, pretty much...

i'll let him know but i would be curious how long he can run it on fuel like that. i've seen the post on here about deisel secrets but never seen a fuel mix posted on it.
Kind of a crapshoot - varies from vehicle to vehicle. Some people have supposedly had pretty good short term success (at least according to the testimonials on their site) and others have had lousy experience with it.

The big problem is that they sell a bottle of thir secret ingredient "catalyst" - for an exorbident price - that is supposed to make the other ingredients stay mixed and transform them into a diesel equivalent. But it is really just a blend of common ingredients that, as far as anyone can figure out, doesn't really do much of anything - except put a big profit margin in their pocket. They also use the term biodiesel to refer to the end product of their blend - which is an outright lie.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 PM
hytekredneck
Freshman User
[quote=CheaperJeeper;6288826]Yeah, pretty much...

Kind of a crapshoot - varies from vehicle to vehicle. Some people have supposedly had pretty good short term success (at least according to the testimonials on their site) and others have had lousy experience with it.

CheaperJeeper does this formula do any damage the motor? Does anyone know where this formula originated from?

Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
Yeah, pretty much...

CheaperJeeper does this formula do any damage the motor? Does anyone know where this formula originated from?
That is really the biggest problem of all (other than them selling you a bottle of snake oil for a ridiculous price and claiming the end result is biodiesel - which it isn't). There really isn't much history for this kind of blending. There are lots of folks saying "I've run 2k (or 20k or 5k or 10k) with no problems!" - but that is just a moment in time for the normal longevity of a diesel engine. What's even 20k on a motor that can be expected to 300k or even 500k? It means very little. There are no testimonials of people who have run 100k on it and it is an unanswered question as to whether there ever will be. We just don't know what the effects will be long term.

Another question is how was this "formula" arrived at? Again, we just don't know. It kinda seems like a "dash of this and a dash of that and a pinch of something else" approach to me. I've certainly never seen anyone give an explanation like "the kerosene is there to provide X component that is found in diesel, and the gasoline provides thinning and lowers the Y properties of the mix to make it more like regular diesel, and the Sta-Bil makes up for the fact that WVO is lacking the Z component of diesel...etc." So is there a valid scientific explanation like that? Who knows? Like I said - kind of a crapshoot.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 AM
hytekredneck
Freshman User
thanks for your time and input guys i'm going to sit back and see how it goes for him.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:07 AM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have put over 26,000 miles on a 93 Dodge Cummins running an oil mixture. Burned out one injection pump, but who knows if that would have done that anyway, since Injection pumps burn out running diesel. I have had luck in other vehicles to, including recently started burning it in Powerstrokes. My formula changes with the weather, but is basically 15-35 percent diesel or kerosene if I can get it. You can say a million things about it, but it WILL stay mixed and it WILL burn and I have had no serious issues. I have made biodiesel as well, but decided it was too dangerous and too much trouble.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:00 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Well, I've been doing some more research on blending and the most extensive testing seems to have been done by a German dude, Hans Peter Schur. Most of his testing was done with an old Mercedes IDI - just like what I want to burn the majority of my veg oil in (its my daily driver). If you Google Schur Ecofuel you can find more info about him - though a LOT of it is in German.

Anyway, his blend was 80% veg oil, 16% unleaded gas, and 4% isopropyl alcohol. In a 21 gallon tank that translates to 17 gallons veg oil, 3 gallons gas, and one gallon isopropyl. A little more research and I've found that pure isopropyl alcohol is WAY too expensive to make this work. Like $15-$25 a gallon expensive. The main function of the isopropyl is to counter the octane of the gasoline and raise the cetane value.

So, some more researching and reading and internet chatting with other blenders and the most common blend seems to be 80%-90% veg oil, 10%-20% unleaded gas, and some DieselKleen or other cetane improver to take the place of the isopropyl and raise the cetane. Another trick one guy shared with me is he uses stale gasoline he gets from wrecking yards for blending - because stale gas has a lot lower octane to begin with (most of the octane addatives have evaporated). He only mixes 10% gasoline with his veg oil and has run over 50k miles on this blend in two vehicles (37k in one of them) and has had NO unusual problems at all. And he lives in MARYLAND - which has a much more extreme climate than I have here in Washington.

So, until I get my fuel heating system completed, I'm going to try about 15% unleaded gas mixed with my SVO and some DieselKleen to boost the cetane. I already have somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 gallons of stale gas in my boat that I need to burn up anyway - and it has top quality 2 stroke oil already mixed in it at 50:1 ratio...

Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AndysFords
I have put over 26,000 miles on a 93 Dodge Cummins running an oil mixture. Burned out one injection pump, but who knows if that would have done that anyway, since Injection pumps burn out running diesel. I have had luck in other vehicles to, including recently started burning it in Powerstrokes. My formula changes with the weather, but is basically 15-35 percent diesel or kerosene if I can get it. You can say a million things about it, but it WILL stay mixed and it WILL burn and I have had no serious issues. I have made biodiesel as well, but decided it was too dangerous and too much trouble.
26,000 miles is nothing............I have a 91 dodge cummins on the ranch with 834,000 miles on it! the last 100,000+ with Biodiesel, still has the original IP, and injectors. No problems.................

Quick Reply: a guy at work is running this recipe