Testing the waters

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Testing the waters

hey everyone,
I'm ready to up-size my process from a 3-5 gallon processer to a 50 gallon Appleseed Biodiesel Processor. following this design, http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/

But I think I'm going to go the Dry Wash route.

I would be willing to take the time and post progress pic.s (step by step) and parts list/costs, if you all are willing to help by giving me feedback and suggestions that may improve my processor and filtration set-up.

I understand its been done on other sites, I'm not sure if there are any complete write ups, with pics here. I would like to do this, and I would like your help.

Whats your thoughts?

Old 06-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hope things go better for you this time around. we also are using a 50 gallon processor, haven't got around to maikng the first batch yet. thinking of modifying it to a "push-pull" reactor before going on.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:20 AM
Wookie35
Junior User
I just finished building mine from those plans and ended up spending around $400 on everything. My local methanol supply only sells by the 55gal drum @ $300 per so that will be one of my biggest costs. I have a few supplies so far but need to find some more to make it a viable cost saver. Good luck and remember the appleseed plans are just a guide, figure out how you want your plant to run and design your plumbing to fit your needs. This will save you some time in the long run.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
Well,
I got the 55 gallon WVO bin built and I have dropped it at the restaurant earlier today.

I also got the 50 gallon short & fat appleseed processor just about completed. I'm at the point where I have to add the thermometer and plumb a WVO inlet tank with a filter screen, and also build the wash tank.

I was leaning toward "dry wash", but I cant seem to find enough info on line about the build, and what I do see here is either time cosuming with gravity feed filters or lots more money to spend on filtration systems and pumps. Also, I have a tuff tame building something I know next to nothing about, so I'm going to stick to the water wash for now. I will follow the simple and trusted design of The Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial Team's wash tank.

Question:
should I settle out the glycerin in a different tank with a stand pipe design, or should I allow it to settle in the appleseed? From what I had been reading, the water heater type processor wont let all the glycerin to drain. How much of a problem will this be with mist/bubble wash? enough to stress on?

Old 06-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
There doesnt seem to be much intrest in a write up so I'll just post what I have:

Old 07-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

looks like a 10 gallon? how's it working?

Old 07-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
The reactor is a 50 gallon, just short & fat. I dont have it on line yet because I'm still working on the wash tank (just got the HDPE drum on Tuesday).

I stopped doing the 5 gallon batches and have been spending me free time reading and digesting all the info out there. So the WVO is loading up, I'm sitting on 150 gallons now so ya, I need to get this thing up and running.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Just looks small in the picture. ours is 50 gallon too.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:29 PM
willbd
Senior User
Nice drum.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
Originally Posted by willbd
Nice drum.
Thanks, I think I'm going to need another or a larger one for this oil reserve location.

Have you seen any other pics of home made bins?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Super Steve
Laughing Gas
That's a pretty sturdy looking lid and locking system.
I wish you lived closer to me because I want to learn how to make bio and I can't find anyone around here that does.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
Originally Posted by Super Steve
That's a pretty sturdy looking lid and locking system.
I wish you lived closer to me because I want to learn how to make bio and I can't find anyone around here that does.
I would encourage you to start research and reading.
I started with these three sites and found many many more as I researched,
Make your own biodiesel: Journey to Forever
Welcome - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial Website
http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/

Being that is hot as hell right now and my other hobbie (Jeeps) are waiting for cooler weather, I decided to scale up my production from 3-5 gallons up to a much larger 30-40 gallons. Just learning as I go.

BTW; nice rig - I like the grill and clear corners. The lift and mudders sure does give it that look.