You guys all dry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:52 PM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys all dry?

Rain rain rain....

At least I know some good offroad pictures may come from this (look for the standing water... I don't want anybody to die)

My uncles over in parkersburg... feeling like ***** because he's outside this weekend mowing his lawn while others tried to pick up whats left of thier homes.

My grandparents live over in new hartford and made it through the tornado with a TON of cleanup to do.... but now mother nature is gonna flood the whole town out anyway.

My parent are up in Waverly... I heard they are evacuating parts of town... They should be fine though.. they live on a big hill.

AND ME... I live nowhere near the tornado or any water.... but I noticed at 1am that my basment is full of water YAY!!!!

My basement... finished... drywalled, WHITE carpet... hasn't ever leaked in over 20 years (according to my neighbor).... is trashed. So i'll be tearing out drywall, carpet and giving up my sweet orange 80's furniture this weekend. and going through the countless number of boxes to see what can be salvaged.

Also... it should take me about 20 minutes extra to get to work if they close the main street bridge in independence like they've been saying is going to happen.

Could be worse I spose.... how bout you guys?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Still fairly dry here in West Davenport.

ididntdoit99 where you located in Waterloo? I spent some time up there a couple weeks ago with family and friends. My buddie's house is off of Independence Avenue on the boarder of Waterloo and Evansdale. We stood out in his yard and watched the nasty looking clouds swirling over head, happened to be the same evening Parkersburg was wiped out.

I just talked to a buddy over on the west side of Waterloo, near west high. He said there is branches and trees down, said the streets were flooding. Sounds like its a mess up that way.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:50 PM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
I live just a couple minutes from where you were. Right on the outside edge of evansdale/elk run, behind the 2 big truck stops over there in elk run.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:05 AM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
It sure is a small world, I spent a lot time over in that area while I was in high school a few years back.

I use to live right off of Ridgeway, pretty much across the street from West High, but all my buddies lived out in Elk Run, Evansdale, and Washburn.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:12 AM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
"few years back" how long ago was that? what year did you graduate?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:44 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
I graduated in 2004. I lived in the area from 1999 - 2005.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:01 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, if my house gets flooded, we have a lot more to worry about... but it is getting tougher to get to class and work, as it stands now, 151 is open, but hard to say how much longer, and same for 380... everything else around here crossing the Iowa is closed...

Old 06-10-2008, 11:16 PM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
I started another thread.. I got some pictures from independence...

I'm going up to waverly this weekend to help however I can so i'll get some from up there too.

Talked to my parents... no water close to the house, but they have no electricity for at least 3-4 days.

and some nieghbors from 3 houses down are staying with them... their basement has water to the top... if it goes an inch higher it will be on the first floor.

anyway heres the link to that thread

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...of-2008-a.html

Old 06-11-2008, 05:32 PM
stryder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 143 Likes on 79 Posts
Army Corp of Educated Idiots just announced a 100,000cfm release from Red Rock. Expected crest in Ottumwa is over 21ft. '93 was 22.19ft.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 308 Likes on 283 Posts
Hey guys.. hope that everyone is okay with all of the crap weather and flooding that you are dealing with. My in-laws live in North Liberty outside of Iowa City. Their house will be safe because they are not near the river and is on high ground.

Be safe.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:51 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
North Liberty will be fine, they are on high ground. The interstate got shut down yesterday afternoon near there though. I went to work, but I made my manager find me a place to go for however long I had to be there. It was a challenge getting through, traffic was backed up from downtown CR to the Swisher exit because stupid people were stopping on the bridges to take pictures, when there is only two lanes of traffic anyway, since they are keeping the left lane for emergency vehicles. People are just stupid, got the outsiders coming in and gawking, and the people in the city can't even stop watering their lawns in a flood, or stop washing their cars. There is only 25% capacity for the water system right now, and the usage continues... $1000 fine for watering their lawns or washing their cars, but many seem to think they need to. Then the thinking that if they use someone else's water, maybe theirs won't get used up....

Old 06-15-2008, 07:46 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 308 Likes on 283 Posts
Thanks for the info.... we have been out there once since they moved there 4 or 5 years ago. I am not too familiar with the terrain, but from what I do remember is that area seemed to be on pretty high ground. My wife just tried calling her dad to wish him a happy father's day and the phone just rang, so we assume that they are having problems with them due to the flooding.

Everyone be safe out there.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:55 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Yep, phones were out earlier today, back on now. They said a line went out due to the flooding, so probably a main line in Iowa City went out.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:58 AM
Dirt racer
Laughing Gas
My home town of Vail Iowa in western Iowa had a lot of basements flooded and my old work place at the ford dealership in Denison I heard was flooded again. I worked there in 93 and then we had 6 foot of water and a good foot of mud. It was a mess. Glad I don't have to clean it up this time but feel bad for them. My mom and brothers house is ok though.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
My house is on a hill, and I'm not close to any rivers that are flooding, so I'm staying dry.

You might be able to go fishing in some of the cornfields, though...

Quick Reply: You guys all dry?