hydrogen F150

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 AM
jtubbs
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hydrogen F150

I am going to add some text from the aquatune website which is AquaTune.com - AquaTune Water Injection Systems guys i just want to know what you think. You can go to their website and find out all the info. I have a 2005 F150 and really thinking about adding this feature.

I found this under the testimonials
Hello Nick and the AquaTune staff,
I am totally jazzed! I bought your AquaTunePlus for my ’04 F-150 4.6L engine. Number 1, I was amazed at how easy it was to install. I took a trip of some distance and the first thing I noticed was that it seemed to take forever to come off the FULL mark. The next thing was that my foot was much higher on the gas pedal and the horsepower’s terrific. Now for the best part, I got a 50% increase in my fuel economy! Not bad, huh?
Now I’m telling anybody that will listen what a fantastic product this is.
My highest regards, A. C. from Minnesota

Old 06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
WoW! Another testimonial!!!!!! Where's my credit card????? Gimmee tw or three of them thar majic things!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:28 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This has nothing to do with hydrogen because it's just a water injection kit. They have been around for, what, 20 - 30 years, (or maybe more) but they seemed to have fallen out of favor, until this current price hike. I think they used to be a $50 - $100 kit.

This may actually work to some degree, but definitely not a 50% increase, that's for sure.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:59 PM
thosfsull
Senior User
From my understanding, aquatune is marketed as the water injection system that is tuned/set-up/designed for fuel economy. Everyone else markets their product mainly for power gains in hp/torque and better controllability/mantanience.

Water injection (engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Old 06-05-2008, 02:43 PM
LastSplash
Senior User
Someone better call the fire department and let them know that they need to stop putting water on fires to put them out because according to a lot of people on the internet water is a catalyst and it is actually making the fire burn better and in some cases the water is even flammable.
P.T. Barnum was wrong there is a sucker born every second not minute.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:04 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Buy one, test it on a dyno (compared to an identical test sequence of the unmodified engine) and let us know.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:46 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Originally Posted by monckywrench
Buy one, test it on a dyno (compared to an identical test sequence of the unmodified engine) and let us know.

The believers won't let such a thing as data or facts get in the way of what they want to believe...

Steve

Old 06-08-2008, 08:25 PM
jtubbs
Freshman User
well here is the deal my engine is not unmodified...i emailing the dealer for the product that's closest to me to find out what will be the difference with my edge evo, kn cai. he has information on his website. i saw his interview on a weekly segment on our news channel. TheAutoGuy.tv - Auto Questions, Auto Answers look under the hydrogen episode

Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 PM
younglife
New User
a water injectors basic principal is to cool down the cylinders. pretty much the way i understand it is.
the water inject cools down the cylinder a bit so the AF can mix better meaning less unburnt fuel it cools down the cylinder that way the fuel and air has more time to mix before combustion happens, this in theory is usefull because what is particulate/emission primarily comein out the back of a diesel? well that black smoke is unburnt fuel. meaning better emmissions, a better burn. but it would be such a small difference i wouldnt invest my time.
heres what i dont get. that water is evaporated in cylinder right? meaning evaporation in a closed cylinder? "the heat will evap all the water" i see a fault in design. anyways WHY THE HELL DO U WANT WATER UNDER MY HOOD!! thats just a problem waiting to happen, leaks and all that. water is the worst thing in the world when it comes down to diesel.
take the money u where gonna spend on this and buy a water fuel sepperator, i dont know why these arnt stock on light to medium use diesels. im at school right now for diesel technology so pretty much im learning with large blocks, not what we drive today to get home from work, and the way i understood it water is the worst thing you could put in ur engine, the rule of thumb being whatever technology is being used on a big semi or tractor should be in your everyday truck,

Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
The site says these devices are a combination of water injection and HHO generators. I have read that people see gains in economy using HHO. I have also read 5x that amount of people who have never actually tried it and just dismiss any possible benefits.

I built a hydrogen generator and I can tell you that the HHO that it produces contains a lot of power. If you light one 1/2" size bubble with a lighter, it sounds like a .22LR round going off. My ears were literally ringing! I can see how HHO can be a combustion catalyst.

I believe the key is to make an efficient hydrogen generator. One that consumes low amperage but has a high yield. I have been researching this stuff for months now and I have some theories I want to test on my generator.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:47 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
I believe the key is to make an efficient hydrogen generator. One that consumes low amperage but has a high yield.
Go read the Laws of Thermodynamics. There's a reason they're called "Laws", not just "suggestions"...

Go back and read all the stuff from 2008 when fuel prices last hit 4 bucks a gallon. Nothing has changed except most of those enthusiastic guys haven't mention hydrogen since then.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eatont9999
I believe the key is to make an efficient hydrogen generator. One that consumes low amperage but has a high yield. I have been researching this stuff for months now and I have some theories I want to test on my generator.
Yeah, right.

Except there are those pesky laws of physics saying that that the amount of hydrogen you can generate will be proportional to your amperage. Low amperage -- little hydrogen; high amperage -- more hydrogen. As for your theories, I have that gut feeling that you can eventually put them where the sun don't shine.

Here's a section on the efficiency of electrolysis:
Efficiency
The electrolysis of water requires a minimum of 237.13 kJ of electrical energy input to dissociate each mole. Since each mole of water requires two moles of electrons, the specific electrical energy required is 118.57 kJ/mole (7.40×10<sup>23</sup> eV/mole). It follows then that a minimum electrical power input per ampere is implied, namely 1.23 W/ampere. In turn, the minimum electrolytic potential for electrolysis of water or 1.23 V. Thus, any current (I) at applied voltage (V) greater than 1.23 V is an overvoltage and results in waste heat which can be estimated as I×(V-1.23).<sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">[9]</sup>
Water electrolysis does not convert 100% of the electrical energy into the chemical energy of hydrogen. The process requires more extreme potentials than what would be expected based on the cell's total reversible reduction potentials. This excess potential accounts for various forms of overpotential by which the extra energy is eventually lost as heat. For a well designed cell the largest overpotential is the reaction overpotential for the four electron oxidation of water to oxygen at the anode. An effective electrocatalyst to facilitate this reaction has not been developed. Platinum alloys are the default state of the art for this oxidation. Developing a cheap effective electrocatalyst for this reaction would be a great advance (see also<sup id="cite_ref-9" class="reference">[10]</sup>). In 2008, a group led by Daniel Nocera announced the development of an electrocatalyst composed of the abundant metal cobalt and phosphate.<sup id="cite_ref-10" class="reference">[11]</sup> Other researchers are pursuing carbon-based catalysts.<sup id="cite_ref-11" class="reference">[12]</sup>
The simpler two-electron reaction to produce hydrogen at the cathode can be electrocatalyzed with almost no reaction overpotential by platinum or in theory a hydrogenase enzyme. If other, less effective, materials are used for the cathode then another large overpotential must be paid.
The energy efficiency of water electrolysis varies widely with the numbers cited below on the optimistic side. Some report 50–80%.<sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference"></sup>
So to maximize efficiency, you should have about 8 - 10 electrolyser cells connected in series so the voltage across one will be about 1.3 - 1.7V, and use platinum electrodes.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
MIT have published many of their course materials online, for free, on many subjects:

Free Online Course Materials | Physics | MIT OpenCourseWare

Free Online Course Materials | Chemistry | MIT OpenCourseWare

If Bubba can successfully defy the laws of thermodynamics, Bubba will become Stinking Rich, even richer than he would selling scam kits.

I can see how HHO can be a combustion catalyst.
Supply an explanation why hydrogen can be a "catalyst" for combustion of petroleum fuel. List the reaction(s) involved.

PLAY is fine if you know you are only playing. Ignoring the hundreds of years of scientific accomplishment which produced your civilisation because you don't want to bother to learn some basics is silly for the simple reason that it wastes time.

If you actually want results, it is logical to use scientific method to pursue them!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Yes, voltage and neutral plates are some of the ideas I have been working on.

I'm not a scientist nor have a desire to be one. I think the catalyst could come from the different ignition temps. The hydrogen adding combustion heat slightly after Diesel ignition to continue rapidly breaking more carbon chains and releasing energy.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Nonsense. Either go take a basic science class or, at least go read the threads from 2008, the last time this stupidity peaked. You're repeating the same gibberish from back then.

Quick Reply: hydrogen F150