First test batch and confused

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First test batch and confused

Ok, made my first 1L test batch . Titrated KOH and came up with 1/4 gram to add to base number. WVO was mostly virgin oil. Did the mix and let settle and had a nice separation of bio and glycerin. Drained glycerin and added water to wash and ended up with milk and water after settling for 24 hrs. I think it is what experienced guys call an emulsion. Anyway my confusion is how much KOH to use for base number. My KOH is 90% and I have seen 7 grams and 5.5 grams for base. I used 7. Don't know if that is what made the emulsion or not. Any wisdom out there?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did you do another wash? If I remember right, mine did the same after the first wash, but cleared after subsequent washes. Anybody else remember their Dr. Pepper method?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sgrol
Ok, made my first 1L test batch . Titrated KOH and came up with 1/4 gram to add to base number. WVO was mostly virgin oil. Did the mix and let settle and had a nice separation of bio and glycerin. Drained glycerin and added water to wash and ended up with milk and water after settling for 24 hrs. I think it is what experienced guys call an emulsion. Anyway my confusion is how much KOH to use for base number. My KOH is 90% and I have seen 7 grams and 5.5 grams for base. I used 7. Don't know if that is what made the emulsion or not. Any wisdom out there?
that is pretty brave starting off with WVO. 8 grams is a good base point for KOH. it's actually not bad using a little too much lye and methanol as opposed to not enough. it really sounds like you didn't get all the glycerin cleanly- that is what made the soap. some glycerin is alway left behind and this is why the first couple of washing need to be done very gently to get it out.

my first test was the DP method and was a total disaster.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys. Trent, I did a second wash today and it is now settling. Will know more on it tomorrow. David, I sent you an email to get your pdf write up. I think, on the next batch, I will wash a lot more gently for the first few times.