DIS problems

Old 05-31-2002, 03:30 PM
surfmeister2000
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIS problems

I recently rebuilt my 1992 FOrd Ranger 2.3liter. I put in a crane powermax 272 cam, milled the head .075 and a 5 angle valve job. My serpentine belt came apart and destroyed my crank sensor. Ireplaced my crank sensor and it would not start, so, I replaced the DIS module and both coil packs, and it still won't start. I have my cam timing set straight up and there is no adjustment on the ignition timing. Ive checked for spark on every plug wire and there is none. I've checked the voltage going to the coils and the middle (red/g) wire has 12 volts, the other two wires have 11 volts until i try to start it. Once I try to start it the voltage gradually drops from 11 volt to 7 volts. I've checked the resistance on the coils and they checked out as far a my haynes manual says which they should because they are new. I sure could use some help if anybody knows anything about this. My computer turns on my fuel pump and all the other relays when i turn my ignition switch on. Just can't get a spark.

Old 06-03-2002, 10:03 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Post DIS problems

Is it possible that you cooked your ECM when the crank sensor got destroyed? The computer should be telling the EDIS module to fire the plugs. It sends a pulse that sez 'fire number X plug NOW, and do/don't fire the opposite side plug based on engine coolant temp and other stuff' The coils have 12V to them with engine on, and the EDIS/ECM combo provide a 'ground' to energize the coil, and then remove the 'ground' to make the coil field collapse and generate a spark... Does this piggy have a 'cam position' sensor down where the distributor used to go? If so, is it connected?
Let me look in a book that had EDIS systems ....

tom

Old 06-05-2002, 01:20 PM
surfmeister2000
New User
DIS problems

Hey buddy, thanks for the reply. No there is no camshaft position sensor where the distributor used to go. I've replaced the computer, the DIS module, coils, crank sensor, ignition switch, fuel pressure regulator, injectors, fuel pump, and still no spark. I have 12 volts going to the middle wire on my coils, and the tan wires i have 10 volts until I start to crank it. while cranking the engine the voltage to the tan wires drops to 9 volts steady. I'm pulling my hair trying to get a spark. I can go out there in the morning and it will start for about 10 seconds and it dies. after that it will not start again. Just every now and then it will backfire through the exhaust. This is a brand new engine with .075 milled from the head and a 5 angle valve job, with a crane powermax-272 cam. Please hit me back because i cannot figure it out. Thanks Surfmeister2000

Old 06-06-2002, 07:45 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
DIS problems

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-Jun-02 AT 08:59 AM (EST)] The crank sensor just tells the DIS which cylinder is coming up to fire. If broken, the engine should still start, as the modules just give a guess-- on 4 bangers. It will try cyl 1 and then if that doesn't work will try cyl 4, etc. (you have to turn the key to off for it to automatically try the OTHER cylinder sequence.) If the crank sensor works, it knows which cylinder to fire from the get-go.
Your voltages sound RONG. The voltage on either side of the coil primary should be 12v+ to ground with Key on, engine stopped. The DIS will then provide a ground to one of the wires so current can flow, then take away the ground so that the coil will collapse its field and thus provide spark.
The TFI module engines would fire the coil as you turn the key on and off. TFI gave the coil the juice, you provided the ground by turning the key to off. EDIS works very similar. I guess I should look in the book....
tom

Old 06-06-2002, 02:36 PM
surfmeister2000
New User
DIS problems

Hello again, I have done some more testing on this truck and come to find out that I have no ground pulse to the ignition coils, or the injectors. Everything in the system is new. Maybe the injectors won't fire until it starts,I'm not sure. But, I still can get no spark. I've got a Fluke meter that I'm testing with and am using the ground finder to check for ground pulse and there is none. the coils keep voltage to them and the voltage does not break away like they should when the module ground them.

Old 06-06-2002, 04:59 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
DIS problems

Check power pins on the ECM.
Check the power for the ECM relay. (has KAM-keep alive memory power
alla time, but not for other stuff.
Check codes (betcha get NONE, and no response...)
ECM -ECM relay or power/fuses feeding the ECM

SWAGS for the day.. scientific wild A__ Gueses...

tom
BOTE ... back of the envelope...

Old 06-07-2002, 12:26 PM
surfmeister2000
New User
DIS problems

I've Ran the computer codes and the only code it throws oout is closed throttle voltage higher or lower than expected and octane adjust service pin in use. I've checked my constant hot battery connection and it is hot with the switch on or off. It is the #1 pin on the Ecm and a yellow wire. I've also checked my grounds and they checked out.

Old 06-09-2002, 11:20 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
DIS problems

Looking at the 1996 chiltons. I think that you may have messed up the wires to the crank sensor. I'm sorry.. that's the limit of my knowledge. There were no 'tests' to do to check an EDIS module.
If it ran, and you broke a part, the best bet is the part or the wires nailed another part. Check the wires. Check the parts. I'm lost. Sorry.
tom

Old 06-10-2002, 11:38 AM
surfmeister2000
New User
DIS problems

Hey buddy, I got it figured out and it is running great, It was the EEC relay I got to messing aroound with the relays by the battery while i had the fluke meter hooked to the DPI pin coming out of the DIS module and when I wiggled the relay I started to get a ground pulse when my brother was cranking on it. I appreciate everything, Thanks.

Old 07-10-2002, 09:17 PM
scredly
New User
DIS problems

Old 10-25-2003, 10:24 AM
Xoryx
Freshman User
89 Ranger problems

surfmeister2000

I need your help! 89 Ranger with exactly the same problems as your 92. Same Ignition system.

You bought a new EEC relay to fix the problem. Where would i find the relay on my truck? Where can i buy a new one?

please reply

Old 10-25-2003, 08:37 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you get any response from surfmeister? Go to the bottom of his last post & you'll see in small print "PROFILE". click on it to send him an email or PM.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:33 AM
Xoryx
Freshman User
Thanks Dealford

I would certainly like to email smurfmister, but as you might have realized i am a new member to the forum

and the "rules" state:

Sorry, but email privileges are not enabled for your account. You must be a member of this site for at least 30 days and have at least 25 posts before you can use the email form to contact other members.

Therefore i will simply post for a while until i can email people

thanks

Old 10-30-2003, 08:45 AM
wolfen
Senior User
Welcome to FTE Xoryx,

I can't see why this has not been offered to you:

One of us email this for you!
surfmeister2000

I need your help! 89 Ranger with exactly the same problems as your 92. Same Ignition system.

You bought a new EEC relay to fix the problem. Where would i find the relay on my truck? Where can i buy a new one?

please reply
We are here to help each other...RIGHT?
You are looking for an answer...THAT IS ALL!

Answer needed!
__________________________________________________ _
‘90 Ranger XLT: 2.3L, EEC-IV, EFI, DIS, 2wd, Mazda 5sp 127K/mi

Old 11-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Xoryx
Freshman User
Thank you Wolfen

I appreciate your help. Your truck is very similar to mine. I have pulled the codes: 15 and 212 I'm stumped. No spark at all. I've repaced the coils and the DIS module, checked relays and for any shorts.

Many tests to no avail. What would you say these codes are telling me?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIS problems