I'm done with biodiesel!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:56 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm done with biodiesel!

Now that I've got your attention, it's only temporary!!

My partners and I have budgeted $30,000 for a new bio plant to be built in it's own new steel building!

I've stockpiled 4,000 gallons of bio that should last till after fall seeding, so I won't have to make any more till the new plant is built. We've already torn everything apart, and will build a whole new plant that will be state-of-the-art. It will incorporate new designs that I've been working on for the last 2 years.

The new plant will be continuous flow, NO settling time! It will be capable of making 200,000 gallons per year. Not very large as far as bio plants go, but enough for the 10-15,000 gallons we use, and the rest of the capacity will be used to supply fuel to local farms, and a construction company.

Construction should start around the end of Sept, with full production available after the new year.

With the deal we made to erect 18 wind machines on the ranch we should be completely off-grid and making all our own power and fuel by this time next year.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Wookie35
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fab, I so hate you!!! Man am I jealous, we have been looking at the wind generators for some time but the area I live in does not produce enough to be viable for large scale production. God luck on the new plant and keep us posted on the progress.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:34 AM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fabman, when I read you’re done with Biodiesel I thought you figured out some new energy source to power the world with.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:33 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Wookie35
Fab, I so hate you!!! Man am I jealous, we have been looking at the wind generators for some time but the area I live in does not produce enough to be viable for large scale production. God luck on the new plant and keep us posted on the progress.
I've been working with the wind project people now for 2 years. We have wind towers all around us ( about 300 so far). We actually have a better site than what they have built on so far, but I figured by waiting I'd get a better deal. I was right! They signed a contract for almost double what they had been paying others. I also signed a contract that allows them to add an additional 25 towers within 10 years.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:16 AM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
are you using wvo or a plant to make your bio diesel?

Old 05-17-2008, 10:41 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rangersvt04
are you using wvo or a plant to make your bio diesel?
I started out like most people with WVO over 4 years ago. I haul WVO from almost 30 restaurants once a week. A couple of years ago I started growing Canola and added that to the WVO. Now I grow all my own oil seed crops, and am selling my old processor and the WVO route to a good friend. The new plant will use only new oil (much easier), and will have 2 base crops for oil, Canola, and Camelina.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:40 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux

With the deal we made to erect 18 wind machines on the ranch we should be completely off-grid and making all our own power and fuel by this time next year.
Congratulations on everything....But THIS is the part that makes me jealous!

Old 05-17-2008, 03:27 PM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
you do know that if you were to use algae (pond scum) you can make more than 10X than what you will get out of canola.

we did an experiment with different plants to so how much bio diesel they would yield and algae produced the most usable product out of corn, soy beans, canola, and some others i cant think of. this was two years ago.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:18 PM
HAB
Senior User
Wow! Congrats on your new construction Bio and Wind. Damn what I wouldn't give to have a better wind pattern here.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:56 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rangersvt04
you do know that if you were to use algae (pond scum) you can make more than 10X than what you will get out of canola.

we did an experiment with different plants to so how much bio diesel they would yield and algae produced the most usable product out of corn, soy beans, canola, and some others i cant think of. this was two years ago.
Yes, I'm aware of algaeal biodiesel. I have a friend in Texas that's been working on this process. I will stick with seed crops for now, since I am a farmer, and taking 100 acres out of 6,000 for oil seed requires no other infrastructure costs.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:12 PM
tr0y
Tuned
Good Job, I think what your doing is great. ! Would love to see a website or photos when you get it done

Old 05-17-2008, 11:52 PM
crosbo
Senior User
Congratulations Don. Off the grid...man, that will be nice!!

Old 05-18-2008, 01:18 PM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
o yea since your a farmer dont bother with algae.
i think that its very very cool that your doing this, i only wish there was a way
to make bio gas. Corn gas(E85) is nasty stuff and its not really bio gas. for the rest of us who dont drive diesels, i work on them.

i really think it would be great if you and your buddy could make a batch of bio diesel around 10,000 gal and sell it to the ships running on the great lakes. the boat(ship) i was on last summer is burning about 8,000 gal of NO.2 diesel a week running 3 generators for ships service electrical system. I am 98% sure that a CAT D399 or D398 would have no problem running on bio diesel.

the chief engineer on the training ship wants to run 100% bio diesel, but the GOV( they own the ship) wont let them run more than B20. the ship is running 4 cat D398 gen sets.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:49 PM
bobrl13
Freshman User
Hey Fab, nice work! how much yeild can you get from 100 acres of canola? I am part owner of my grandfathers farm and am just getting started to try to help out with my small bio project. We have grown canola before, I am not shure what the per acre yield was. It was a few years ago. Any advice from a guru like yourself would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:23 PM
TchTchr
Senior User
Reps given for being such a great steward of the land! I'd love to drive out there and see your operation some time.

Quick Reply: I'm done with biodiesel!