Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Pullin my hair out

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:54 PM
cornfedp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pullin my hair out

Well, I took my oldest boy in today to the DMV. He is now the holder of a learners permit. Boy, if the gas prices dont get ya, the insurance company will. Now him and I will get to thrash this summer on the 71 so he can use it to drive to school in the fall.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:11 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Hey Darin, I hear ya'! I have three more years left, then I'll start the teenage driver cycle. I'm not looking forward to what It will do to our insurance! Hey, make him pay for his own gas, that'll keep his foot out of it!!LOL!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:20 PM
jseim44
Posting Guru
I'm sure my dad was pulling his hair out today. I'm gonna get my CDL this summer so he let me drive the truck (18 wheels.......for you people who think a "truck" is a pickup) a bit.........found out it's not as easy as he makes it look!!!

-Jake

Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 PM
hapkidoman
Posting Guru
Yeah Im teaching my brother how to drive I waited to change the brake pads until he learned how to quit riding them

Old 05-18-2008, 12:11 PM
cornfedp
Senior User
Ya Jake, it can be a bit of an interesting ride. Try pulling about 6000 gallons of milk. Milk tanks are unbaffled for sanitary purposes, ever been pushed through a stop sign bye your load?

My best advice is learn how to drive that truck with the engine brake off if it has one. You cant depend on those things to work all the time.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:14 PM
jseim44
Posting Guru
We had our machinery trailer on with it unloaded, so there wasn't much of a load. Good thing too.......shifting is something I couldn't quite get the feel for, otherwise I was fine.

-Jake

Old 05-18-2008, 08:05 PM
cornfedp
Senior User
Double clutching is something to get used to. When I came off the road I started double clutching my Isuzu Rodeo out of habit and it didnt like that at all.

I love driving and its not something everyone has the desire to do. It got me through all the continental 48 with the exception of Maine, and 5 provinces of Canada. I would have never seen myself having a reason for going to Canada if it wasnt for truck driving.

One of my favorite stories involves Frasier Canyon in Canada. My son spent about a month with me on the road, we pulled off in Frasier Canyon to cook dinner. I got the campstove out, started cooking and told my boy to shut the tv off and get out and look at the scenery. I mean it was gorgeous, rushing river, train tracks cut into the side of the wall, just gorgeous. My son popped his head out of the truck and told me, "I see this stuff on the Discovery Channel all the time." I shook my head and made him get out anyway.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:00 PM
ElwoodMurphy
Senior User
Good for you Darin, tell him the difference would be like watching some guy walk through the jungle with all the spiders and snakes. Compared to him having to walk through the same jungle. There's a certain excitement about life experiences.

Maybe he will understand the difference in driving too.