Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Any suggestions on my shifting points?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:38 PM
BensDaddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Any suggestions on my shifting points?

Hey all, I took the truck to the Tranny shop and they told me my Idle was fast, it isn't the tranny at all. So I turned it down to stall and then brought it back up 1 and 1/2 turns. It still seems to shift quick from 2nd to 3rd. Any Ideas? I just replaced the Vacuum Modulator with a new one, its a black stripe.

Thanks for the thoughts all

Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 PM
brentleedragon
Elder User
is it a hard shift? or just a quick shift

Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 PM
BensDaddy
Senior User
Just Really quick it seems, like 2nd is stacked on 3rd

Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 PM
brentleedragon
Elder User
I am trying to think of what car it is lol :-) i'll drive my suburban tomorrow and see if that it is, if it is my truck, it aint street legal right now lol but one of them always shifts quick from 2nd to 3rd and I have seen cars do it before. you could drop a shift kit in it? im not sure what it would be unless that is how it is designed or something with the vacuum lines cause I know you've been having problems

Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
Every car and engine is different!...You have to learn about what you are driving.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:50 PM
BensDaddy
Senior User
I know what you mean Mike. I was talking to a friend of mine at work last night and he suggested I change my Rear End Ratio, right now I've got 4.56:1, he suggested I change to something under 4, maybe even as far as 3.11:1, that should bring the engine revs down in third gear for the respective speeds, right? Also as a side note, I was thinking of changing the axles during this to get my 5x5.50 bolt pattern so I can change to a 15" rim in stead of my 8 bolt 16's. What do you guys think?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
No wonder it shifts so low, and revs so high-
If you want that bolt pattern, you'll have to go to a 9" rear end, or swap out your hubs, drums, backing plates, etc. You'll loose a lot of strength-
Let me see what gears my next parts truck has in it, I could probably just give you the rear axle out of it. It should be a 3.73 or 3.55 D60

Old 05-13-2008, 08:09 PM
BensDaddy
Senior User
That would be great, I want to keep the D60 so I was looking at swpping the Pinion and Ring set, then the axles, what would you want for it?

Old 05-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
Dodge did make a Dana 60 5-lug rear end for their Hemi cars way back when so it is possible to get a 5-lug Dana 60. Good luck finding one because they are VERY few, far between and very expensive. The best alternative would be an axle tube Mod.

You would need to have the floaters cut off the D60 and replaced with outer bearing hubs from a ford 9-inch. Which would be a good time to replace the drums with disks. Or whatever outer bearing, brake combo you like and then have new axles made to go with it.

If you want 5 lugs your best bet is a Ford 9-inch in the first place. If you use the truck for lots of heavy hauling then stick with the 8 lugs and just buy a nice set of rims it's much cheaper in the long run.

My Grandpa told me once it is much better to learn by the mistakes of others… Because you will NOT live long enough to make them all yourself!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 03:25 PM
BensDaddy
Senior User
I think I will end up with a 9-inch at some point. This isn't going to be a heavy hauler, just a good looking daily driver. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll likely end up doing that when I get the money to do so, in the mean time, I am trying to track down (and I think I found one with Ford_Six) a dana 60 with a higher gear Ratio. I can keep my rims and tires for now and get the better milage.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BensDaddy
I think I will end up with a 9-inch at some point. This isn't going to be a heavy hauler, just a good looking daily driver. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll likely end up doing that when I get the money to do so, in the mean time, I am trying to track down (and I think I found one with Ford_Six) a dana 60 with a higher gear Ratio. I can keep my rims and tires for now and get the better milage.
A Ford 9" would be a great choice!...There is a reason that every car in NASCAR uses them. You can have different hogs heads set up and switch them out in minutes. If you like true posi, Summit Racing offers a mini spool at a very reasonable price. If you put one in, watch the wet roads when you hit the pedal hard.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:49 PM
BensDaddy
Senior User
I was watching Trucks on spike the other day, their "project: haulin' S10" uses a 9-inch. looks like an easy install and even easier gear change if I need to.