Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Help

Old 04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Cowboy34
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help

trying to find someone that would be able to help me change out cabs,,my 78 Ford 4x4's cab needs to be replaced and i have bought another truck to swap cabs,need help taking the cab off the other truck so i can have it painted ad take the bad one off my 4x4 and put the good one back on my 4x4

Old 04-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a lot of footwork you can get done ahead of time...

Brake hydro lines need to be undone and capped, electric wiring between the cab and 1) the frame 2) the engine and trans need to be unplugged and coiled back out the way.

The bolts under the cab (oughtta be about six of them) may have to be ground off from underneath if they are rusted bad (Leastaways every bolt I had to pull for my F100's cab lift had to be). You find them under oval rubber plugs or metal caps on the floor of the cabs. Two are in the footwells, two are behind the seats, and then there's two more somewhere close to the bottom radiator mounts.

The radiator needs pulling, but wait until the last minute to pop the airconditioner lines to the condenser in front of the radiator so you can avoid getting too much water condensation in the A/C lines from having it apart for too long.

The emergency brake cable might be a hassle too.

If you have a hydro clutch - there's another line to get apart, but they usually are quick disconnects and won't bleed or get dirty.

The rag or "U" joint on the steering isn't a problem since there is a sliding shaft to the steering gear box, no need to mess with it. It will seperate when the cab is lifted.

When it comes right down to either a bunch of guys or a big tree, rope, pulleys, and some 2X4's (one through the windows, and another under the front wheel wells) THAT is when we need a definite "CAB PULLIN' PARTY"...

Sound real?

Meanwhile also take off the fenders, inner fenderwells, and anything in front the firewall to make it as light as you can. Many trucks can be stripped down all the way from the firewall to the front grill if they are pre-eighties models. That would be good - because the A/C lines can be left UNTOUCHED/UNDISTURBED. Which is ideal!!! If the fenders come off right, the cab only needs be changed, and the grill & everything can be left in place.

Take you a good look in there, and see what has to be messed with and what can be left right where it is.

*It's most always a bad idea to disconnect a power steering or air conditioner line if you can avoid it. There WILL BE air conditioner lines going inside the cab if it has it - those are the only ones that should be touched. Count on replacing the reciever/drier and orifice tube. Figure about four or five cans to refill the system, but if you can get it vacuumed out first just to be safe. I usually replace all the o-ring seals if I open a system.

~Dutch

PS: Whereabouts is Gray, TN?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Cowboy34
Tuned
the truck has a/c but is not hooked up and do not have a tree to use should or mightbe able to have neighbor use his boom truck to take the cabs off but he cant do any hardwork,i live half way between hwy 26 and 36 on old gray station rd

Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Where the heck is that? Middle, west, east TN? Thats what we need to know.....
Who is close to you?

If you get the rest done it ought should be simple.

(I figure the A/C is trashed then, but might be fixed)

Whereabouts in the state you sittin'?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Cowboy34
Tuned
i am in east tn,i am between Johnson City and Kingsport about 2 hrs east of Knoxville

Old 05-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
All-ight, who we got out there?

Anybody wanna pipe up? Sure to be some fine barbeque gonna happen....

(Might actually turn into a thow-down and fishing trip if it goes well)