1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Power Window Kits 1948-52

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Window Kits 1948-52

I am looking at ordering a power window kit for my 48 and have noticed that there are tons of different manufacturers and models of power window kits and have found the details a little overwhelming. There is a serious difference in price and I understand the saying you get what you pay for......I just don't want to pay too much and get took.

What brand do you have? Were they difficult to install and what did the kit include? Were there any surprises?

Thanks in advance any advise is greatly appreciated. I have done a search on here already but the resources seem to be limited.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:41 AM
sandhillmike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the kit offered through EZ Wire. I haven't installed it yet, but it looks like it should work fine. I was a little hesitant due to the low price, but it appears to be well made.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:17 AM
53OlderThanMe
Elder User
Originally Posted by sandhillmike
I got the kit offered through EZ Wire. I haven't installed it yet, but it looks like it should work fine. I was a little hesitant due to the low price, but it appears to be well made.
Can you provide a link to it please?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I really prefer the type that look like a "T" with the motor hanging off a J shaped tail at the bottom. (see my "making changes" gallery for pix of my install) rather than the type that drives the stock regulators or that look like a scissors mechanism. If given a choice I'd also pick one with a wider glass support over a narrower one. Mine do not have a brand on them, got them off ebay for about 125.00. They work very well.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Kusto
I am looking at ordering a power window kit for my 48 and have noticed that there are tons of different manufacturers and models of power window kits and have found the details a little overwhelming. There is a serious difference in price and I understand the saying you get what you pay for......
For 53OlderThanMe: hhttp://www.ezwiring.com/power_windows.htm

Hi Kusto, I am just doing the same “research”, it would appear to me that there are a least three kinds, one is a cable operated with motor attached at the bottom (around $ 150.00 ea. on ebay) I think this is the one that AXracer used, a cable operated one with motor at the end of the cable, (around $ 110.00 ea. but have seen at $ 65.00) and a “Specialty” name brand that looks like maybe a scissors action (can’t see in ad ) at $200.00 each. As has been mentioned on this site I think they are all (?) the same manufacture and made overseas. I agree that you get what you pay for and I will be doing some more “research” into the "Specialty" one.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
One I'm looking at from a supplier in Langley, BC is $449.00 and is a complete kit with all required wiring harness, window channel, Switches and door jam loom. Seems quite pricey but is a complete kit.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
The next cheapest price I can find is for this one.

The EZ Power Window Kit will work for all windows with flat glass, that go straight up and down and that are between 6" and 24" in height. These easy to install power window kits feature OEM quality motors with screw cable drive, wide channels for smooth window movement, self-centering window channels with unique clips that secure glass without tape or glue, crossover wiring, lighted switches and mounting bezels.
Price $ 285.00 (Shipping included, within Canada.)

EZ Power Window Kits

Does this look llike a good kit?

Old 04-25-2008, 12:45 PM
sandhillmike
Senior User
Here's a link to the eBay seller of the ezwire window kits. Only $110

eBay Store - Old New Parts: inserts, gauges, clusters

Old 04-25-2008, 12:47 PM
sandhillmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kusto
The next cheapest price I can find is for this one.

The EZ Power Window Kit will work for all windows with flat glass, that go straight up and down and that are between 6" and 24" in height. These easy to install power window kits feature OEM quality motors with screw cable drive, wide channels for smooth window movement, self-centering window channels with unique clips that secure glass without tape or glue, crossover wiring, lighted switches and mounting bezels.
Price $ 285.00 (Shipping included, within Canada.)

EZ Power Window Kits

Does this look llike a good kit?
That's looks like the same kit that you can get for $110. so, no not a deal.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
One is EZ the other is Dolphin...same product different name? The other issue is that the set is in eastern states I'm in western Canada and with shipping and duty, I'd likely wind up paying closer to $200.00 for the same Item you only pay 110.00. Even though the $ is close customs and shipping really ad up. I ordered some parts the other day from Big Jim's....$40.00. Customs nailed me $37.00 just to open the box and confirm that they were parts........I'm really PO'd over that one.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
The Real Cost

After some additional research I found the following enlightening.

TheFinalCost.com - Canadian total shipping fees calculator (brokerage, duty, customs)

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 773px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 773px" colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: white 10px solid; BORDER-TOP: white 10px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 17px; BACKGROUND: #fff; BORDER-LEFT: white 10px solid; WIDTH: 773px; COLOR: #333; LINE-HEIGHT: 25px; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 10px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Lucida Grande, Arial, Sans serif; TEXT-ALIGN: center">This online calculator will help you estimate the final cost of purchasing items from the USA and having your order shipped to Canada.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #e4e6db; WIDTH: 17px"> </TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: #e4e6db; WIDTH: 17px"> </TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: #e4e6db; WIDTH: 17px"> </TD></TR><!-- ADS //--><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 773px" colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: white 10px solid; BORDER-TOP: white 10px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 17px; BACKGROUND: #fff; BORDER-LEFT: white 10px solid; WIDTH: 773px; COLOR: #333; LINE-HEIGHT: 25px; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 10px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Lucida Grande, Arial, Sans serif; TEXT-ALIGN: center">******** type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-5126601833558112";google_alternate_color = "FFFFFF";google_ad_width = 728;google_ad_height = 90;google_ad_format = "728x90_as";google_ad_type = "text";//2007-10-13: TFC_TopLeaderBoardgoogle_ad_channel = "4033686087";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "777777";google_color_text = "333333";google_color_url = "777777";google_ui_features = "rc:0";//-->*********>******** src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript>*********></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #e4e6db; WIDTH: 17px"> </TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: #e4e6db; WIDTH: 17px"> </TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: #e4e6db; WIDTH: 17px"> </TD></TR><!-- ADS //--><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=368 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-TOP: white 10px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 30px; BACKGROUND: #fff; WIDTH: 368px; COLOR: #658498; FONT-FAMILY: Lucida Grande, Arial, Sans serif; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Your Purchase </TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: white 10px solid; BORDER-TOP: white 10px solid; BACKGROUND: #658498; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BORDER-LEFT: white 10px solid; COLOR: #fff; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 10px solid"><FORM id=ShipmentCalculateForm action=/shipments/calculate/ method=post><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 194px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">
Price [?]

</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 174px" align=left>
<INPUT id=ShipmentPrice maxLength=10 value=149.95 name=data[Shipment][price]>
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Shipping [?]

</TD><TD align=left><INPUT id=ShipmentShipping maxLength=10 value=45.58 name=data[Shipment][shipping]>
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Made in USA [?]

</TD><TD align=left><INPUT id=ShipmentMadeinusa_ type=hidden value=0 name=data[Shipment][madeinusa]><INPUT id=ShipmentMadeinusa type=checkbox CHECKED value=1 name=data[Shipment][madeinusa]> </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Shipping Company [?]

</TD><TD align=left><SELECT id=ShipmentCompany name=data[Shipment][company]> <OPTION value=UPS selected>UPS</OPTION> <OPTION value=FedEx>FedEx</OPTION> <OPTION value=USPS>USPS</OPTION> <OPTION value=EMS>EMS</OPTION></SELECT> </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">Province [?]

</TD><TD align=left><SELECT id=ShipmentProvince name=data[Shipment][province]> <OPTION value=AB selected>Alberta</OPTION> <OPTION value=BC>British Columbia</OPTION> <OPTION value=MB>Manitoba</OPTION> <OPTION value=NB>New Brunswick</OPTION> <OPTION value=NF>Newfoundland</OPTION> <OPTION value=NT>Northwest Territories</OPTION> <OPTION value=NS>Nova Scotia</OPTION> <OPTION value=NU>Nunavut</OPTION> <OPTION value=ON>Ontario</OPTION> <OPTION value=PE>Prince Edward Island</OPTION> <OPTION value=PQ>Quebec</OPTION> <OPTION value=SK>Saskatchewan</OPTION> <OPTION value=YK>Yukon</OPTION></SELECT> </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><INPUT type=submit value=Submit>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: #e4e6db; WIDTH: 17px"> </TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=368 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-TOP: white 10px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 30px; BACKGROUND: #fff; WIDTH: 368px; COLOR: #6a8747; FONT-FAMILY: Lucida Grande, Arial, Sans serif; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Fees </TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: white 10px solid; BORDER-TOP: white 10px solid; BACKGROUND: #6a8747; BORDER-LEFT: white 10px solid; WIDTH: 368px; COLOR: #fff; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 10px solid"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 184px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">
Currency exchange [?] :

Price [?] :

Shipping [?] :

Duty [?] :

Tax (GST) [?] :

Conversion [?] :

Brokerage [?] :

Disbursement [?] :

</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 184px" align=left>

CAD$ 152.57

CAD$ 46.38

CAD$ 0.00

CAD$ 11.94

CAD$ 4.97

CAD$ 30.74

CAD$ 6.20

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So the $149.95 power window kit just cost me $252.80...only in Canada eh???? Free trade means the Canadian Government is free to pillage and plunder our wallets.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Update: more info on specialty made in usa.

Windshield Wiper Kits, Power Window Kits, Streed Rod Window Kits, Classic Car Window Kits, Power Windows Classic Car, Wiper Accessories - Specialty Power Windows

I would think the one in Langley (the Old Car Centre?) would be a Specialty kit (you should confirm that) and if so @ $ 449.00 Cdn. with out the border/duty/shipping hassle and also a made in USA product,……………. that is the one I am going to buy. (Wow, I made a decision)

Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Kusto,
Heres where a lot of the vendors get the kits they sell. These guys are great and will actually take time on the phone to talk to you. They also have a lot of items that we need and use on our trucks. I have their products in my 56' and I think both the product and the factory support are just great. Call and talk and then order on-line to get a discount.
BALL's Rod & Kustom LLC (Online Shop) - Welcome

Jon

Old 04-26-2008, 12:27 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Mine are very similar to the EZ wire kit only the glass carrier is wider. Don't know that it makes that much difference tho if you install the vertical part centered and parallel to the sides of the glass. The guy I got mine from on ebay was the notorious "gone fishin" dude, so I can't recommend him even tho the product was fine.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Old F1
Update: more info on specialty made in USA.

Windshield Wiper Kits, Power Window Kits, Street Rod Window Kits, Classic Car Window Kits, Power Windows Classic Car, Wiper Accessories - Specialty Power Windows

I would think the one in Langley (the Old Car Centre?) would be a Specialty kit (you should confirm that) and if so @ $ 449.00 Cdn. with out the border/duty/shipping hassle and also a made in USA product,……………. that is the one I am going to buy. (Wow, I made a decision)
The kit from OCC are an AC delco unit with parts made in the USA and seems to be very complete but in the interest of saving some money, I will be going with the EZ/Dolphin unit from Hot rods and hi-boys in Ontario, shipped to my door for $250.00. I can spend the other $200 on other stuff for the truck. If they don't work, I'll just have to blame AX and sandhillmike.....LOL

I'm in the process of locating a set of hotronics window switches that use you old window handles in place of the rocker switch.

Quick Reply: Power Window Kits 1948-52