obtaining cooking oil for bio diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
badass truck
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
obtaining cooking oil for bio diesel

been looking into making this stuff for awhile a little bit now. I farm with my dad and kinda looking to make our own blend to run in tractors and our trucks. haven't read of people running Bio of high percents in tractors like about 5%. anyone know of people doing this?? Prob be running it in a 96 PS f250. Not real sure how to approach the fast food restaurants about taking the cooking oils off their hands to make the bio with. how have some of you guys went about doing this??

Old 04-21-2008, 09:19 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the biodiesel forum. I farm 6,000 acres of dry land wheat, and have been making and using bio for 4 years. From the end of march until the end of Sept I use B-100. Through the winter months I use either B-80, or if it's going below 0 deg, B-50. I use it in my Cats, irrigation pumps, wheel tractors, pickups, and 2 semis.

We started growing our own canola, and camelina last year. We are now self-sufficient for our fuel needs.

I started with WVO, and still haul WVO from 28 restaurants in 2 states, but I'm getting ready to sell those accounts since we now grow our own fuel.

The simplest way to find WVO is to just go talk with restaurant owners. Most I've talked to are more than willing to give it to me.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 PM
badass truck
Tuned
I'm just nervous about going and talking to the asians at the chinese restaurants because they don't speak very good english and I highly doubt they will understand what i'm talking about. but i have a feeling that they will be more willing to give it to me than the burger joints. I can get 50 gallon barrel drums, do i just tell them I will come and get it from their fryers? Is there anything like a pump needed?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Most places have to pay to have their WVO hauled off.
They, including the asians, will be thrilled to get rid of it for nothing.
You may run into some problems if they have long term contracts with WVO haulers.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like to go in on Sunday evening when theres no one in there but some stupid kids, most of the time they will give it to you. Another big supplier I've found is Grocery stores with a Deli, however, I always look to see if they have a nice new container with a good name on it, most of these are under contract. I've never been able to get any chain restaraunt to give it to me, they just don't know, they always tell you something about "its handled through corparate, I just don't know".