The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Where do students look for jobs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:08 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Where do students look for jobs?

If you were/are a college/university student and you were looking for part-time work (entry level computer software testing, for instance), where would you go on the web to look for such a job? Is there such a site available for students?

One of the ventures I'm working on needs to find a local student (because the job is perfect for them, work mostly from home, flexible hours, temporary, etc.) and I have no idea where on the web to post a job listing for this type of job. I see several sites on Google, but I have no idea which are truly the popular choices for students...

Old 04-15-2008, 07:12 PM
RangerJustin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
craigslist.org
just post in the part time jobs, most students check there these days

Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
When I was in college employers contacted the school when they were looking for workers. The instructors had boards with job listings from different companies that he updated a couple times a week. You could look for local colleges and tech schools in your area and see what areas they teach and possibly get in contact with an instructor.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
When I was in Technical College, we had a Job Board in the Cafeteria and the Job Councilor had a Job Board outside her office. But now a days, Craigslist.org is your best bet. When I was working at our local Ski hill, most the international employees I talked to, found their jobs through CL.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:40 AM
laxman9206
Freshman User
When I was in college employers contacted the school when they were looking for workers. The instructors had boards with job listings from different companies that he updated a couple times a week. You could look for local colleges and tech schools in your area and see what areas they teach and possibly get in contact with an instructor.
I second that. Here our human resources / career services are always looking for jobs to help students out. If you can get in contact with a college and tell them you are looking for a student intern for the summer, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:33 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like others have said I think you best bet would be to contact some local schools and see if the have a job listing board they could put you on. My school has job listings posting all over the place, theres normally a line of students at each one too.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:34 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Advertise on Facebook.com or another social site, limited to the kids in your area. Or find out if the school does a daily e-mail bullitien/newspaper and put an ad in there.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, at my school there are bulletin boards everywhere with such things listed, but they are largely ignored because most of them are the “make millions by sitting on your bum! Really!” type deals. I look in the paper, monster.com and the websites of the big companies around here. However, the most effective is when the companies get in contact with the instructors, who many times will happily agree to making an announcement if it’s going to be something pertinent and beneficial to their field of study.

Also, you could look into posting on facebooks classifieds for the local schools.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:32 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks gang!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Is there a college nearby? If so, talk to them and they can send out an e-mail to the students and post it on their website.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:01 AM
mstiles19
Posting Guru
yeah my college has a job board where locals can put up adds for part time and full time jobs. I got my job by knocking on a couple of the local farmers doors saying i was looking for work and was good at Manuel labor, now i am building barns....haha and i love it

Old 04-25-2008, 01:19 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,709 Likes on 1,319 Posts
I usually keep my nose in the local paper and look for warehouse jobs (or anything that doesn't deal with people/customer service...I'm shy and not good with people at all)

Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ken, you might want to check with the college profs. in the computer department, they'll be able to recommend some kids too you, or let the kids who would be a good fit, know about the job

Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Crazed1122
New User
Also, if your only looking for work, alot of schools hire summer help for maintenance and custodial work. I work for a High school as a Maintenance Man mowing lawns and doing minor electrical and plumbing work. The best advice I ever got about finding a job was asking around.