Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Charge motion Control Valve Delete for 2009?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
beefeater
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charge motion Control Valve Delete for 2009?

I just read over at the diesel stop site that Ford is rumored to offer a Charge motion control valve delete option for 2009. Would this apply only to the V8?

Does the V10 have this?

What the heck is it and what would deleting it do for performance?

Summit Racing offers a Charge Motion Control Valve delete plate for racing and offroad purposes.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
beefeater
Junior User
Don't know if this helps anyone, but the CMCV is somehow related to the closed loop program implemented in the power control module programming specifically for trucks.

According to the chip guys, this closed loop programming is largely responsible for hamstringing the V10's performance potential.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:14 PM
DirtyDogOfTheDesert
Senior User
It is inside the intake, not in a plate bolted to the lower intake runner like on the 4.6 Mustang motors. You won't be able to just eliminate it like on the Mustang. A tuner may be able to program them to stay open all the time, but lower RPM power will suffer.

I don't think Ford would eliminate this for '09 unless they've built an entirely new intake for the V-10, but I highly doubt that also.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:55 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Oh, this is the variable plenum-volume thingy?

Yeah, removing (or disabling) it for the V10 would ruin low-end (or high-end, depending on which way it would go).

Old 04-09-2008, 05:47 PM
DirtyDogOfTheDesert
Senior User
It'll ruin the low end. They open up as rpm increases. Removing disabling will improve high end WOT power.

"Disabling" is kind of the wrong word to use though. Disabling, and allowing them to stay shut would not be worse than leaving them open, or removing if it was possible.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:54 PM
beefeater
Junior User
Still not sure what the heck it is or what it does, but why would Ford offer the delete option for 2009 SD?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 PM
beefeater
Junior User
The Delphi description states it is there to improve gas mileage and emissions. Not one thing about performance at low or high RPM's.

Anything designed to improve mileage and emissions has got to reduce performance, in my book.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:37 PM
DirtyDogOfTheDesert
Senior User
Maybe you should spell out CMCV, and tell us exactly what you're talking about then.

I'm refering to the litte butterflies in the intake that change the volume of the intake runners. It is a performance enhancing device. The have been called many things including CMCV plates (in the mustang world)

Less intake runner volume=good at lower RPM, longer intake runner length at high rpm=good. They give you the best of both worlds performance wise, I can't really say what they do for emissions, or economy.

I would very surprised if what I'm talking about is being deleted for '09, unless Ford has figured out than an engine that doesn't see past 4500-5000 rpm really benefits, and has designed an entirely new intake.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:11 AM
tesserra
Mountain Pass
Maybe they figured out a variable valve timing and lift.????
This would benefit low rpm torque and high rpm breathing without the changeable intake.
I don't know if the valve train is that advanced or if they are willing to put that into a
v10.
I guess if they need it for the high production volume smaller modulars it is not that tough to adapt it to the v10.
George

Old 04-10-2008, 06:34 AM
beefeater
Junior User
CMCV=Charge Motion Control Valve

Ford is rumored to be offering a delete option for this for the 2009 V8 Super Duty. Does the V10 have CMCV? Anyone know?

Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM
DirtyDogOfTheDesert
Senior User
Originally Posted by beefeater
CMCV=Charge Motion Control Valve

Ford is rumored to be offering a delete option for this for the 2009 V8 Super Duty. Does the V10 have CMCV? Anyone know?
Go back and read post #3..... YES, the V-10 3v's have it. This is what I have been talking about since post 3.
Can't comment on whether Ford is offering a delete option for '09, but, for the 3rd time I highly doubt it.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Just googled around, and I did see that it is in the '09 option list people have been posting around.

Specifically for the 5.4

I wonder, if that's something you don't want with a supercharger, turbo, etc (obviously)

Also, it increases peak HP - maybe it's a marketing gimmick to up the "max" HP output.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:09 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
"Less intake runner volume=good at lower RPM, longer intake runner length at high rpm=good."

You have it just backwards. The longer runner is better for low rpm and the short runner is better for high rpm.

It would help tuners, especially supercharger makers, if it wasn't there. It would simplify the parameters.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:37 PM
beefeater
Junior User
Well now, I guess it isn't quite as straight forward as some above would like us to believe. As I suspected.

Super 6.8 do you know if your 2007 3v V10 has a Charge Motion Control Valve?

If so, why don't the tuner folks recommend removing it to maximize their tuning programs?

Old 04-10-2008, 04:39 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
I was just making a statement of fact.

Long runners promote low rpm torque and hurt high rpm power. When the column of air is bouncing back and forth from the plenum to the open or closed intake valve it adds somewhat of a ram effect. It will still fill the cylinder when the piston is at BDC due to the inertia of the air column.

During high rpms, this column has to be much shorter. With a fixed runner length (aluminum or plastic intake) the computer has the option to choose the effective runner length with the butterfly valve in the runner based on conditions and rpm.

Look at basic truck and car intake designs. Trucks always have a longer runner to make the power down low.

That is just the way I see it. I could be wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Charge motion Control Valve Delete for 2009?