Just wanted to report

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 PM
MuddyAxles
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to report

Hi All,

I know I haven't posted here recently although I have checked in from time to time. I just wanted to report that, aside from a crazy work schedule, there have been some other reasons.

My wife Meredith (some of you met her at the Letchworth G2G in March '07) had to have surgery (again, the other one was in '01) for a brain tumor. The procedure was done at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, NY on the 18th of March. She came home on the 25th. Recovery has gone along quite well. Certain deficits were expected and she does have some speech difficulty, but there are signs everyday that she is re-gaining her spontaneous ability to speak. (The funny part is she can read aloud with little difficulty!)

Her post-surgery check-up is Friday, April 4th. We have no reason to expect any limitations on her activities after that appointment.
She will have a number of speech therapy sessions over the coming weeks.

I apologize for not making anyone aware prior to this event, but my work schedule was brutal up to the Friday before surgery and on top of that, I was without the laptop since October, severely limiting the time I could be online.

So, so far we've had VERY GOOD news (especially considering the mechanics of what they actually had to do to her). We are thankful and we know your support is there, even if you didn't know ahead of time.

Unfortunately, the vacation time is gone for this year, but there are still some personal days, so there may be a chance of attending some events this year, later on.

Thanks,
Dave (& Meredith)

Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 AM
littlesunray
Elder User
Dave sorry that I did not around in posting about your wife alot has been going on here with Mike's mom, keep us posted though about Meredith though ok tell her that our family is thinking about her and have her in our prayers. How come you were with out your laptop was something wrong with it I hope not, just hope both you yous still hang i there with all that's happened ok.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 AM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 305 Likes on 280 Posts
Dave- best wishes for your wife's continued recovery and it is good to hear from you. Don't be a stranger and please keep us informed.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tiny1
Dave- best wishes for your wife's continued recovery and it is good to hear from you. Don't be a stranger and please keep us informed.
Ditto That

Old 04-03-2008, 01:05 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Dave, I hope everything continues to improve. Keeping her mind busy is important. Reading, and even hand-eye-coordination stuff can help her recover faster even when it doesn't involve the speech center.

Glad to hear it's been good

Old 04-04-2008, 09:44 AM
MuddyAxles
Elder User
To littlesunray:

I understand how busy it can be trying to keep up life's necessities and look after someone else who needs you there. The laptop developed some problems which may be repairable, but our son's friend had one just like it he wasn't using anymore, so sonny combined the two and moved all my stuff over to his. Problem is this is the kind of work he does so Dad's stuff wasn't a high priority after a whole day of dealing with that stuff. I will let her know you and yours are pulling for her. Thank you. And you two hang in there as well.

To tiny1 & tewferford:

Thank you for the support and good wishes. I will keep a closer eye on our NY forum and stay in touch better.

And to krewat:

As I was reading your post I could hear her downstairs laughing at something on TV. I know what you say is right.

To All:

The speech therapist was by yesterday and put "Merdy" through some paces. After an hour of that she was ready for an hour and a half nap! The therapist left a laptop with a program on it for her to use for practice. Some of it is very simple but the act of using the computer, seeing the pictures, saying the name of the pictures, and hearing the reply gives her a complete cycle of the components of speech. I didn't know all of this, but after seeing it in action, I can see that that is what is happening. And I think it is helping already, even though it is sometimes frustrating and always tiring.

Of course, Hubby was trying to do much the same thing, but that didn't appear to work as well...you know, there's always that spousal friction that develops when one "overly persuades" the other.

Thanks again, everyone, and we will stay in touch.

Dave

Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM
littlesunray
Elder User
glad to hears are going good for Meredith, tell her not to get too upset things will work out soon for her, also glad to hear that the computer in not a oner lol, glad son's friend is helping you out. keep us updated on her progress ok, and you too don't loose your head over things lol.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by MuddyAxles
Some of it is very simple but the act of using the computer, seeing the pictures, saying the name of the pictures, and hearing the reply gives her a complete cycle of the components of speech.
That's why I mentioned hand-eye coordination. For some reason, the act of looking at something, making a decision, and then using your hands to do it, has something to do with speech.

Did she type a lot before this? On the Internet? Email? Work?

Old 04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 846 Likes on 765 Posts
Best wishes to your wife. A friend went through this about 15 yrs ago, it took some time to recover fully. But, it does take time and try not to rush things. Meredith is in our prayers.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Dave - my thoughts are with Meredith and you. I hope all progresses well as she goes through her therapy. Give her my best and you take care of yourself.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM
MuddyAxles
Elder User
Thank you all!

Well, the Surgeon and the Surg. Nurse Asst. met with us late Friday and they are very satisfied with Meredith's progress. They both think she is well beyond the average rate of progress.

The next phase of treatment was discussed, but it won't be a factor for weeks, if not months. She may be a candidate for a certain type of Chemotherapy that often gets the remainder of the tumor. We will learn more as we go along.

Meredith did not type much and hasn't actually worked outside the house since just before Christmas 2000, ditto for driving.

So the computer is reinforcing some very old skills and plays a key part of her recovery, I think. More later!