Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not to bad coast to coast for UPS.

Ed

Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 PM
jimm66
Senior User
Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. Sunday it was about 68 here so I changed out the carrier. Not a bad job at all. The hardest part was handling the spare. 2 - 1/2 inch self tapping bolts and it's done.
The new one turns real easy. The slot for the jack handle was all rounded out on the old one. Thanx again. Also good time to check air pressure.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:30 AM
sire3296
New User
Mine is broken as well. How do you get the guide shaft apart from the wench thats mounted. I took off the two bolts but cant get the unit out because the guide shaft is still connected.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:28 PM
jimm66
Senior User
I used a screwdriver and pried it off. There is 2 tabs that go into slots. Look at the new part for reference. I bent and tore the plastic a little but it still slid on the new carrier.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:05 PM
sire3296
New User
Thanks! It came right off. I just wasnt pulling hard enough. I was being careful not wanting to break anything.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
jimm66
Senior User
I know I had the same thought. I tore the plastic a little but I think it will stay on. Glad to help you out. Like I said before the hardest part is handling the wheel.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Mike Hazen
New User
Thumbs up Spare Tire Protector

I bought a spare tire protector for $50.00 made for vehicles that
have spare tires that are under the vehicle - SUV, Vans, Trucks

Contact Spare Protector Enterprises and get your spare tire protected.

248 880-1014

Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 AM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mike Hazen
I bought a spare tire protector for $50.00 made for vehicles that
have spare tires that are under the vehicle - SUV, Vans, Trucks

Contact Spare Protector Enterprises and get your spare tire protected.

248 880-1014
Mike, does that tire protector trap moisture on the rim and tire? Shouldn't it have small drain holes? I just pulled my spare two months ago and used it when I had a flat, and in the process (because I hadn't had the spare off in three years) that the rim had some rust on it, so I removed the rust and spot painted several sections. Also noticed (and repaired) the area where the tire touches the underbody had some rust. I am wondering if closing off the air to that area with the protector would accelerate corrosion. What has been your experience on the test vehicles?

Old 03-23-2009, 04:27 AM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
Wondering if anybody has used this plastic spare tire cover?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Mike Hazen
New User
Spare Tire Protector

Originally Posted by vze2sgxa
Mike, does that tire protector trap moisture on the rim and tire? Shouldn't it have small drain holes? I just pulled my spare two months ago and used it when I had a flat, and in the process (because I hadn't had the spare off in three years) that the rim had some rust on it, so I removed the rust and spot painted several sections. Also noticed (and repaired) the area where the tire touches the underbody had some rust. I am wondering if closing off the air to that area with the protector would accelerate corrosion. What has been your experience on the test vehicles?
The Spare Protector has 4 drain holes to prevent moisture build-up.
On these vehicles we have seen no increase in corrosion - in fact it decreased since you are protecting the rim from all the road grim.
There is no protection that can protect these spare 100 % from corrosion
we have seen some pretty BAD looking spare tire because on their exposure. But with this protector in place at least you will certainly extend the life of these spare tires. Every year these need to be dropped and review to make sure that they will be functional when required. So many times I hear issues that they get a flat tire and they can't get the tire down and when they get the spare finally removed from the frame it also flat. Some cases we have heard that the spare tire was not even their! It had fallen off the vehicle and they were not even aware that this has happened. Bad design by OEM's - best bet is to have them in the bed - not under the vehicle.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 PM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mike Hazen
The Spare Protector has 4 drain holes to prevent moisture build-up.
On these vehicles we have seen no increase in corrosion - in fact it decreased since you are protecting the rim from all the road grim.
There is no protection that can protect these spare 100 % from corrosion
we have seen some pretty BAD looking spare tire because on their exposure. But with this protector in place at least you will certainly extend the life of these spare tires. Every year these need to be dropped and review to make sure that they will be functional when required. So many times I hear issues that they get a flat tire and they can't get the tire down and when they get the spare finally removed from the frame it also flat. Some cases we have heard that the spare tire was not even their! It had fallen off the vehicle and they were not even aware that this has happened. Bad design by OEM's - best bet is to have them in the bed - not under the vehicle.

Thanks, Mike, that info certainly helps, I'll probably pick one of those covers up for my truck. Makes sense to protect it. I agree you wouldn't be able to prevent all the corrosion, but it would definitely (by the looks of its design) keep a majority of the salt and mud off of it. Thanks again.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:44 AM
skidmarks82
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was going 75 and mine fell off just after about 8 cars just passed me and it was like a week after i bought it, made the dealer replace it. glad it didnt hit any one

Old 11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
New User
Faulty spare tire cable

Yes i too had the cable break and tire came out from under the truck and sent cars following me in all directions someone could have been hurt badly. I removed the elavator from under my truck and disassembled it and found all of the "PLASTIC" gears striped and the cable wedge broken. I have tried several times to purchase a used one but to no avail, all scrap yards sell them as fast as they recieve them because there such a call for them. I find it hard to believe that FORD would make this unit as cheaply as the one i found under my truck way to go FORD!!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 AM
skidmarks82
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep! 1st week i ownd my truck the spare fell out and almost caused huge accident flying across lanes . i had that fixed for free. wow im smart i didnt notice i already posted comment ha!

Old 02-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Cyndi Furrow
New User
Ford F-250 spare tire winch cable

Been reading about this spare tire winch cable breaking and then saw people were getting them from you. Do you still deal with these? My person email is furrowcynthia@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Faulty Spare Tire Cable