1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Rebuilt transmission, still "rattles" at speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Fdub150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilt transmission, still "rattles" at speed?

I'll get right to the point, Well I lost reverse and had the transmission rebuilt... new reverse gear and new third/ input shaft, as well as new bearings and syncros..... Is there a break- in period or do I need to check the diff.. the drive shaft seems to be o.k. Hope thats enough to go buy, please help
OH yeah
The truck is a 75' f150 with a 360 , Manual 3 speed that has been converted to a floor shifter.

Last edited by Fdub150; 03-19-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Most likely that linkage is rattling. But, could be u-joints if it sounds more like little bells ringing. I'd check both. Sometimes it's just bushing in the shifter. Sometimes it can be by design. If it's a sports shifter there not made to be quiet. So, even the manufacturers will tell you there isn't anything you can do. If factory floor shifter. I'd go with bad bushing and then look into the u-joints. After that start looking around for loose clips, tubing rubbing on stuff, too long of screws, etc.... My .10 (inflation you know)

Old 03-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Fdub150
New User
Talking R:E: Rebuilt trans....

Thanks for the info,,, yeah it is a hurst indy shifter and now looking at the design, it is just hanging off the side of the trans.. so nothing for it to do but "rattle " or transfer any "chatter " from the trans into the cab, with a colum shifter the transmision is more isolated I guess, Ill have to re-do the shift adjustment and see what I can come up with to quiet it down some.
Lucky for me I can weld so I should be able to fab somthing up, just wanted to see if any vetrans have some insight?

Old 03-21-2008, 05:42 PM
OldMetal
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometime you can install wave washers and that will help.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Fdub150
New User
Still chatters......

Just checking in, figured someone on here should have come across this problem, no ? Is this just so normal that no one is surprised by a little "noise".
Thanks for the washer suggestion, might have to try that.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
I would ditch the Indy shifter and go with something like this:

Shifter:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Install kit:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I hear you can get them cheaper than in the links I gave, but it is a good shifter. No rattles. No noises. Nice smooth shifts.

I had a universal shifter before getting this and it rattled so much I thought it was going to fall through the floor. I personally would never suggest for anyone to get a universal shifter. I'm sure some people have good luck with them, but after paying the extra money for a good shifter I wouldn't go to a cheapo one.