Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Recreational Vehicle???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 AM
whitebenz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recreational Vehicle???

So who else is crazy enough to own a motorhome/money pit?

I bent the frame on the old class c so we bought a class a on the ton 1/2 chassis. I buy older motorhomes and campers because I have been around them all of my life and can tear them down and put them back together quite nicely, and because we play on the toys you take to the woods and I don't want to put a limb through a $100k motorhome and have a fit about it, deal with the insurance repair etc. this way I get out the calking gun and the sylicone and fill the hole till I can fix it right later. The only thing is this Georgie Boy motorhome we just bought was owned by a bigger idiot than I thought, the list follows.

Five years ago he replaced the entire roof ceiling and all. It is now a one piece roof which is a good thing. I now have to tearthe ceiling out and replace it and the insulation as he didn't know he had to reseal it every so often so it doesn't leak. He never kept any kind of heat in it and kept it closed up tight. He never blew out the water lines or winterized it in any way, with the exception of engine antifreeze. He did drain both the grey and the black water but not the fresh water. when water freezes it expands, pipes don't. In a rv they like to play hide and seek with pipes and they LOVE spray foam. (this is a 79 so they were just figuring out what they could do with foam) I ask the wife and her friend to wipe down the inside of the motorhome (it is not really too dirty) and they are done in like two hours. Then while I am buying a new starter and fuel pump and four batteries they decide to hook up the water and make sure everything is working. Thank god they made this thing using plywood and not pressboard or I would be scr...d. Scip vacuming we went right to carpet shampooing. except that there is water still oozing out of cabnets. As it so happens we have one of those none freezing faucets outside that when they lifted the handle on it the bolt fell out and they couldn't shut it offso for about five minutes the water ran into the motorhome at full force with just about every "T" and elbo busted and leaking before they finally figured out how to shut off the water to the thing.

Picture this last wed. I come pulling in the drive and there is water running out from under the motorhome, from every where. I do not understand how this is possible because I know that I didn't even stretch the hose overthere let alone hook it up and then I see the girls and they don't look like I am going to like what I am about to see and hear. Wife starts out with "I am sorry and we were only trying to help" I go to the motorhome and water is still trikling out of the door, I slosh around for a while, go out side, kiss her, and tell her I will be late. Nice long drive in the Cougar.

Fast forward one week later. I am still getting wet knees every time I have to crawl around in there. the plumbing isn't leaking anymore that I can tell for now. But it hasn't stopped raining long enough so I can fix the leaks in the roof. And Brennon has a race the first weekend in april. It is in mason county, I am thinking of driving back and forth or getting a motel. Untill this last week I hated motels, now I am wishing there were motels close to the places we go play. I am going to bed now

Old 03-20-2008, 04:53 AM
Eric C.
Elder User
My daughter tried helping me the same way but mine was just a stuck flush valve on the commode and thank god I'd drained and flushed the black water tank.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:10 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 11' slide in camper. '92 western wilderness. Good camper so far.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:52 AM
whitebenz
Posting Guru
It is coming along well it is a 79 georgie boy cruise air I have most of the bugs out now it is time to start adding things to it. The 440 needs the timing done just a bit but other than that it seems to run great. We will know more after the shake down run.