I want to install a transmission temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 PM
anothersteveg
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to install a transmission temperature gauge

Hi,

Looking for some insight again. I am a new (to me) ex owner. I'll be towing a boat with it and would like to install a tranny temp gauge. It's an '01 xlt v-10 4x4 with the 3:73 gears. Boat is around 6k, shouldn't be much of a challenge, in the future I'll be getting a trailer and I do a bit of light off-roading here in AZ where we have some pretty big hills and high temps.

It does not have a factory gauge. What am I looking at to install an aftermarket gauge? Where will the probe go? I'm assuming there should already be a spot for it? Any suggestions for a good / inexpensive gauge? Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by anothersteveg
Hi,

Looking for some insight again. I am a new (to me) ex owner. I'll be towing a boat with it and would like to install a tranny temp gauge. It's an '01 xlt v-10 4x4 with the 3:73 gears. Boat is around 6k, shouldn't be much of a challenge, in the future I'll be getting a trailer and I do a bit of light off-roading here in AZ where we have some pretty big hills and high temps.

It does not have a factory gauge. What am I looking at to install an aftermarket gauge? Where will the probe go? I'm assuming there should already be a spot for it? Any suggestions for a good / inexpensive gauge? Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks
I have a dipricol trans gauge and I love it.
You need to get
1. Dipricol trans gauge or other brand you like
2. gauge pod holder
and here are some instructions http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/PSD3-...73gauge-p1.htm

Old 03-10-2008, 06:22 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Not sure how much just a trans gauge is...

But here is another possible option that gives you WAY more than just trans temps. It is an OBD2 single gauge pod that tucks nicely at the bottom of the A-Pillar and uses the factory sensor.

Just another option is all...

Good luck,
joe.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ight=aeroforce

And here is a quick picture

Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 AM
anothersteveg
Junior User
That's perfect, I'm glad I asked. So the truck already has a sensor in the tranny even though I don't have the factory gauge? I know they monitor a lot of things, didn't know about that though.

Got lots of upgrades to put in the EX, will post pictures when I get them all done.

Thanks again.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

That's perfect, I'm glad I asked. So the truck already has a sensor in the tranny even though I don't have the factory gauge? I know they monitor a lot of things, didn't know about that though.

Got lots of upgrades to put in the EX, will post pictures when I get them all done.

Thanks again.
No there is not a sender in the trans you have do install one your self but it comes with most gauges,
Nick

Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Nick,

Mine HAD a OEM sender. I believe all 'should' have that sender that is reported by the OBD2 but could be wrong.

Now if someone wants a sender in a particular point in the loop...well that's a different story...

joe.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
There is a transmission temperature sensor in the transmission. It reports transmission temp to the PCM. IF you have a gauge that can read data off of the OBDII port you can read the output of this sensor.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:27 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

So even 01 X should have a trans temp sender. Never knew that. Its ture you do learn somthing new every day.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:42 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I monitor the trans temp with my Scan Gauge 2. It displays much more than trans temp and also reads/clears dtcs. I'm happy with it thus far.

I bought mine from www.mgtmotorsports.com and I spent the extra and got the blendmount kit, which works well. I need to buy a longer 14' Ethernet cable though because I routed the cable so it can't be seen.

www.scangauge.com

Old 03-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Scan Guage II's rock!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:42 AM
anothersteveg
Junior User
Thanks for the help. I'm thinking the scan gauge is the way to go. The Aeroforce certainly looks nicer, but not for twice the price. I think I'll be getting the scan gauge for my birthday.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:20 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
So even 01 X should have a trans temp sender. Never knew that. Its ture you do learn somthing new every day.
NO IT DOES NOT. You have to install one yourself. The 6.0 trucks did have a sensor but it is about as lame as the oil pressure sensor or any of the other Ford gauges except for speedo and tach and maybe fuel.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:12 PM
anothersteveg
Junior User
So I'm still confused. Some say it has the sender, some say it does not. Where is it actually located? I'm thinking I need to get underneath and see if it actually has one. Is it accessible or internal? Any obvious way to see if it's there before I hook up the gauge?

Old 03-15-2008, 12:42 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
So I'm still confused. Some say it has the sender, some say it does not. Where is it actually located? I'm thinking I need to get underneath and see if it actually has one. Is it accessible or internal? Any obvious way to see if it's there before I hook up the gauge?
In the later models with the 6.0 engine, for sure, they did.

http://www.dfuser.com/Install%20Guid...structions.pdf

Page 5

Old 03-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Some say it has the sender, some say it does not. Where is it actually located?
*ALL* electronic transmissions, which includes every Excursion ever built, has a temperature sender inside the transmission. If you are installing an aftermarket gauge that needs a sender you can't use the factory sender. If you use a gauge that connects to the OBDII port and reads the PCM data, that's the sender you will be reading.

The factory sender is VERY accurate, the calibration on the gauge in the dash is next to useless. If you use a gauge the reads the OBDII data it will have a very accurate reading.

Quick Reply: I want to install a transmission temperature gauge